Romance of Astrea and Celadon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Romance of Astrea and Celadon Reviews

May 22, 2014
Such a bizarre, lovely movie just begging to be misunderstood by people taking it way too seriously. Very tongue-in-cheek and deftly constructed.
November 9, 2010
kind of surreal and ethereal and very french. but the subtitles were really hard to read.
½ October 31, 2010
bountiful bucolic beauty; one finds it hard to believe this movie came from rohmer, one of france's best directors, when it feels like a dream(y) highschool r&j-esque play...
October 30, 2010
slow..s.l.o.w...s..l..o..w....s...l...o...w.....
ok, you get the picture *wink*

silly rubbish, really! but Celadon is both pretty & handsome!! LOL
½ October 13, 2010
A beautifully rendered, philosophically informed love story from Rohmer. The film begins with a compelling and dramatic exchange that helps keep the film moving through some of the more philosophical dialogue later. Rohmer's film reflects deeply on the nature of true love, of union with another, and with the existence and nature of God.
September 13, 2010
celadon non è COSI' bello e dai, anche se gli metti una coperta in testa non sembra una donna é_è
May 7, 2010
Not recommend for "american pie movie" lovers...
February 27, 2010
Film littéraire sur l'incompréhension amoureuse même lorsqu'on éprouve des sentiments réciproques. Une histoire ludique qui s'amuse des genres des époques et du verbe. Un ovni cinématographique très frais réalisé par �ric Rohmer à l'âge de 87 ans (comme quoi...). A voir.
½ January 26, 2010
the ending was perfect.
January 17, 2010
Cette idée de retourner aux sources est autant splendide qu'elle en devient quelque peu redondante. Malgré tout, on souligne l'effort et on apprécie jusqu'à ce qu'on ne soit plus capable de tolérer la mascarade.
½ December 20, 2009
Heavily stylized in a dead-pan kinda way that it is hard not to take as a parody, but director Rohmer goes all the way with it, all leading to a climax of mythical romantic proportions. This movie treats (true) love as a lot of hard work and its effect is right on the surface of the facade, if you know what I mean.
December 15, 2009
El romance de Astrea y Celadon [2007]
September 1, 2009
Pretty silly stuff, Rohmer adapts a 17th century story set in a mythical 5th century with druids and nymphs and shepherds. The dialogue, acting, and narration give it a kind of theatrical and literary feel, but in a tongue in cheek manner. The male protagonist even pronounces that he will "drown himself at once" upon being spurned by his jealous lover, and does so. Of course no Rohmer film would be complete without plenty of talk about love and related subjects. This is more humorous and erotic than the other Rohmers I've seen, but it lacks the depth of character and emotional poignancy of his better films.
½ August 1, 2009
It's a very pretty movie with very pretty people, but it's way too long and really slow. I started watching it in double-time and THEN people seemed to move naturally.
½ July 23, 2009
Rohmer has made great films so I was pretty excited to see this one. Celadon & Astrae is an odd film and I don't think it's a great film, but I don't think it's a bad one. Adapting seventeenth-century pastoral tales to the screen may be a far-fetched enterprise at best, but there must be better methods than this. Paradoxically, though the pastoral ideal is about purity and simplicity, recapturing it is likely to require more elaborate methods than this. Rohmer's bare-bones methods worked well for most of his career because the people and their conversations were interesting enough in themselves; the intensity of his own interest made them so. Such methods don't work so well here. The talk in 'The Romance of Astrea and Celadon' is too stilted and dry most of the way to hold much interest. For dyed-in-the-wool Rohmer fans, of course, this mature work is nonetheless required viewing. Newcomers as usual had best go back to 'My Night at Maude's' and 'Claire's Knee' to understand the perennial interest of this quintessentially French filmmaker.
April 22, 2009
Not bad, but drags on forever.
½ March 16, 2009
Elegant adaptation of the celebrated 17thC romance by d'Urfe. Useful - and very pretty to watch.
November 9, 2008
Very beautifully shot, and very slashy, but not sure that there's much to this.
½ September 10, 2008
The question isn't whether the film constitutes a sort of pastoral kitsch - with its bergers in sandals playing flutes on a log and classically pretty nymphs floating around in diaphanous dresses, it does - but whether it manages to transcend that, and here I'm not so sure. I'm growing increasingly resistant to Rohmer's talk the more I hear of it - this may be his wordiest yet, and (this a first for the director) rather silly to boot: it isn't just the presence of a friendly druid and a lyre-strumming bard that reminds you we're not that far off from Obelix (or - zut alors - Gerard Depardieu *as* Obelix) waddling into shot.
½ August 19, 2008
Romantic fable by one of my favorite directors. Manages to maintain a balance between sublime and ridiculous.