Romeo and Juliet - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Romeo and Juliet Reviews

½ July 16, 2016
Beautiful scenery and costumes but the story itself is overdone and this interpretation offered nothing new.
July 9, 2016
Judging by the trailer this is going to be at least watchable. The actor that portrays Romeo doesn't thrill me but Hailee Steinfeld was extremely good in True Grit so I'm hoping that she will take the film from "average" to "quite good". I believe the critics will place the film somewhere between 60-70% while the audience a bit above the critics assesement.
½ April 11, 2016
This movie is very similar to the other Romeo and Juliet with Leonardo Dicaprio.. To me.. And it's cute, I like Shakespeare plays including hamlet and Macbeth:)

For ages 13+
February 9, 2016
It was ok, I Wudnt have paid 2 c it, only went coz I have an unlimited card. Think they have done this enough now. Stop, no more!!
January 30, 2016
Not easy to ever take theater to film but I think it was done the best I've seen it. Lots of bad reviews but actually thought the acting was mostly hit but some miss. Acting Shakespeare for film has to be the hardest thing to do.
January 9, 2016
amazing adaption of the film
January 6, 2016
Flat, uninspired and long winded interpretation of a spirited classic. Waste of time.
December 28, 2015
One star for the Italian locations, which look gorgeous. Minus every other star for the simpering performances, the overwrought music, and mostly, mostly, mostly for Julian Fellowes' awful, awful, AWFUL script. Seriously, it's awful. Poor Shakespeare.
December 27, 2015
An un-needed addition to the back catalogue of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliette. There is nothing really wrong with it but its super dull and as a massive fan of the Baz Luherman version this just sucked
December 25, 2015
Whoever thinks Hailed Steinfeld can act, has never read Shakespeare's play.
November 27, 2015
Good looking actor to play Romeo.
½ October 28, 2015
Many films, not all alike in quality,
In fair cinema, where we lay our scene,
From ancient story to new screen idolatry,
Where repetition makes some critics mean.

Shakespeare's tragic young lovers
on screen oft before,
for each generation and all others,
in '36, '68, '96 and more.

This time Hailee Steinfeld plays Juliet,
With Douglas Booth, her devoted Romeo,
She, an Oscar nominee for the film "True Grit".
And for a handsomer man, you'd have far to go.

The cast includes Natasha McElhone,
The longsuffering muse on "Californication",
And Damian Lewis, who starred on "Homeland",
As a Congressman and a threat to our great nation.

Ed Westwick as hotheaded Tybalt is perfectly cast,
having played the scheming Chuck on TV's "Gossip Girl".
The rest of the actors, from the first to the last,
All well-cast in their roles, from countries around the world.

The language they all speak is truly Shakespeare's own,
With some speeches omitted or just changed.
The words in the script, to Americans not unknown
If you miss a few, the acting keeps you engaged.

I'd be remiss in this review if I failed to mention
This retelling of the story is not without invention.
The settings and scenery, share a common beauty
And with innocence and fragility, Juliet's a cutie.

To conclude, I move on to other plays
from which I dare to paraphrase.
I hope to close this review on a helpful note,
And maybe even give you something to quote.

When deciding on a film for popcorn ingestion,
To see or not to see, that is the question.
You could just choose to get thee to a nunnery,
But that wouldn't be nearly as much... funnery.

Okay, I'm out. Let's see YOU find rhymes for question and nunnery. (Not to mention Stellan Skarsgård and Paul Giamatti, who are great as the Prince of Verona and Friar Laurence, respectively.) The earlier versions of this story are mostly very good, each in its own way, and this one definitely holds its own. If you enjoy love stories with drama, see 2013's "Romeo & Juliet". "B+"
½ October 4, 2015
Careful reworking of Shakespeare's text for a modern audience. Good performances by the title actors and by Paul Giamatti
September 11, 2015
I actually enjoyed this adaptation of the play. I already knew the story, yet it hooked me in.
September 6, 2015
The best part are the costumes, the setting, and the movement through the setting. The whole love story, the rashness of the kids and their elders does not inspire me.
August 28, 2015
amazing film, who can't rate shakespeare 5 star.
½ July 23, 2015
Good movie, each character i could see in the book, the only reason i took off 0.5 of a star was because Hailee didn't deliver the lines too well. But the rest of the movie i really enjoyed
½ July 6, 2015
Wasn't bad but doesn't stand up compared to the DiCaprio/Danes version.
May 10, 2015
Another mediocre adaptation of the infamous love story. Unfortunately this one falls short on passion and excitement. Although visually pleasant, Romeo And Juliet is lame and at points unwatchable.
April 11, 2015
It's a harmless adaptation for English teachers to show to their classes, but it lacks passion. The Leonardo DiCaprio/Claire Danes version is SO MUCH BETTER.