Romy and Michele's High School Reunion Reviews

• Jun 21, 2020

I remember seeing this in the theater and being underwhelmed. It was when I rewatched it with friends it quickly became one of my all time favorite movies.

• Feb 14, 2020

Kind of silly. Not really funny. I do like Mira Sorvino though.

Kind of silly. Not really funny. I do like Mira Sorvino though.

• Nov 19, 2019

A very accurate depiction of a 10-year high school reunion. All the a-hole's still don't morph out of adolescence and the former outcasts all blossom into adult heroes.

• Jul 07, 2019

Kudrow and Sorvino sparkle in this sweet, light-hearted flick. Romy and Michele's High School Reunion is fun, relatable and features an absolutely killer soundtrack that's bound to stir up nostalgia for the 90's.

• May 02, 2019

Romy and Michele's High School Reunion (1997): 6 out of 10: Good natured comedy starring Mira Sorvino and Lisa Kudrow as two outcasts in High School who decide to go to their ten-year reunion and pretend they were successful women who invented Post-it Notes. This prevarication does not go as planned. The Good: There are some excellent lessons in this film. Stop worrying about what other people think and just enjoy yourself is the best one. The film itself takes the high road more often than not and while Kudrow and Sorvino's characters are hardly earth-shaking representations that will change your view of life they are pleasant enough to spend an hour or two with. The movie also gets bonus points for having a High School prom that looks like a High School prom. I don't know why this is such a pet peeve of mine, but it is. The Bad: Romy and Michele's High School Reunion is a comedy. It is more a fun comedy than a funny comedy. There are some chuckles here and there, and the characters are well drawn, but the actual laugh quotient was for me at least a little on the light side. See kids filmmakers were beating that dead horse that was 80's nostalgia all the way back in 1997. I think a viewing today of Romy and Michele's High School Reunion suffers a smidge from the sheer volume of Strangers Things and Ready Player Ones we have nowadays celebrating that decade. The Ugly: You know what dawned on me while watching this. High School reunions are dead. They are a vestigial tradition in this internet age. You don't have to wait ten years to see if the head cheerleader got fat just stalk her Facebook. Did the class loser end up doing prison time or your secret crush get married? That is also a quick search away. While Romy and Michele's scheme would not work in the age of Google neither would anyone else facade, we are all open books with a long photographic history. While we aim to only show what we want on social media the truth often peeks around the corner. Things I should have mentioned in my review but didn't: There was a small kerfuffle when Romy and Michele's High School Reunion was released because it unfairly got an R rating. Outside of a few F words, there is nothing in this movie that reads R rated material. Well, at least nothing in 1997. If it were released today, it would get an NC-17 for the excessive cigarette smoking. Opinions I should have mentioned in my review but didn't: #$@#$^ Harvey Weinstein. Mira Sorvino is excellent in this movie but after the filming wrapped Harvey got her blackballed in the business for being difficult. In conclusion: Romy and Michele's High School Reunion is somewhere between the horrible eighties nostalgia of 13 Going on 30 and the superior eighties nostalgia of Grosse Point Blank. Come to think of it Romy and Michele's High School Reunion's Cyndi Lauper filled soundtrack also is somewhere between the horrible kitsch of Michael Jackon's Thriller in 13 going on 30 and the perfection of the Pixies and the Cure and okay Motorhead in the Grosse Point Blank soundtrack. Romy and Michele's High School Reunion is a sweet and occasionally funny film with excellent performances and massive cell phones.

• Feb 21, 2019

A Cult classic that grows with the time.

A Cult classic that grows with the time.

• Feb 11, 2019

OMG- I loved this movie, it was hilarious, love Lisa Kudrow, and Mira Sorvino. Such a funny story, and loved the music:) just got my girls to watch it for the first time haha, I could watch it over and over.I give it 5 stars.

• Jan 17, 2019

Fun movie to watch on a Saturday afternoon when you decide not to go out.

Fun movie to watch on a Saturday afternoon when you decide not to go out.

• Dec 18, 2018

: A lighthearted comedy based around a rite of passage- a high school reunion. There's nothing bad to say about this movie. Romy and Michele's High School Reunion is one of those pleasant movie-going experiences that doesn't offend, excite, or challenge anyone. There are all sorts of likable things about it -- Sorvino and Kudrow are ace as the titular ditzy leads and the accessible humor means the film won't offend anyone. The '80s soundtrack is the most definitive survey of the decade in pop music and first-time director David Mirkin brings a lot of energy to the production, always keeping things moving. And, perhaps most intriguingly, anyone who has ever gone to a reunion will recognize a kernel of truth lurking under all of Romy and Michele's blond and brainless icing. All of us have been there( at least anyone who has been to their ten year and so on).

• Jul 22, 2018

This is a hilarious movie. Mira Sorvino and Lisa Kudrow are great actors.

This is a hilarious movie. Mira Sorvino and Lisa Kudrow are great actors.