Rookie of the Year - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rookie of the Year Reviews

December 30, 2014
A completely benign family-flick that's far from a home-run, but is hard not to like. Thomas Ian Nicholas, maybe the world's most charming twelve year old, leads a wholly likable cast (though co-star/director Daniel Stern seems to think he's in a different movie), but the film struggles to move past its own tired cliches. The film is at its absolute best when on the baseball diamond, and will surely please anyone who ever dreamed of the big leagues, but chances are you won't come back for more.
½ September 6, 2014
This movie is my past, my present, and my future.
August 16, 2014
Ugh - my kids just watched this on tv and it was pretty bad. The boy in the starring role was SO bad. The whole movie was hammy and don't even get me started on Daniel Stern's overacting.
½ June 15, 2014
A Good Baseball Movie.B
May 29, 2014
This film was a huge part of my childhood both in the sense of baseball but also being a kid growing up in an adult's world. Having recently watched it again some 10 years later at 22, it's just as enjoyable but in a new way: Some of the jokes I didn't get as a kid I did now, and Director Daniel Stern really knows how to make his actors work with what they have and find something. And then there's the fact he's just hilarious as Brickman. All of the quotable lines he, and the kid who played George have essentially. Plus, John Candy. Simply put.
May 9, 2014
Awesome baseball movie!
½ May 5, 2014
I love this movie. It has a great blend of humour, sport action and even a bit of history to create a very good film experience.
April 27, 2014
One of my childhood favs
January 1, 2014
Witty. Somewhat stupid, but plenty charming.
December 13, 2013
A kid slips and injures his shoulder. While healing, his tendons are wound up in such a way that give him a rocket for an arm. One day at the Cubs' game, he throws a foul ball back and they notice his arm and sign him to a contract, because they are the Cubs. He gets the team onto winning ways with the help of Daniel Stern. Gary Busey is the hard ball on the team that doesn't want him there, but grows to like him They get to the NLDS but he reinjures his arm and doesn't have the arm he used to. However he still gets the outs needed and they advance in the playoffs. Then he realizes the dream isn't for him. The Cubs do win the World Series, again this is fiction, and everyone is happy. Overall a pretty good movie that holds up pretty well even as just a kids movie. There is a bit about the evil stepfather who tries to cash out on the kid, but that could have been cut out really.
½ November 14, 2013
If you are in a sport fan, this movie is good for you to watch.
½ September 1, 2013
I loved this movie when I was a kid.
½ August 23, 2013
very cute and funny movie with a good story. hate that john candy's voice is just heard as the announcer. wish he had a big part in the movie.
June 6, 2013
The only thing realistic about this film is Bobby Bonilla striking out
TheDudeLebowski65
May 25, 2013
Rookie of the Year is a fun family sports film that has good laughs and a colorful cast. Although not one of the most memorable childhood favorites, this is still a fun film worth seeing. Thomas Ian Nicholas gives a fun performance that is funny. Daniel Stern is fun as well, but I found him to be a bit over the top, even if that was the point, it was a bit annoying as well. Stern also directs, and he crafts a fun film that is quite funny, but at times fails to generate the laughs. This film could have been better of course, but overall it's a charming affair that should be seen by baseball film fans. The Sandlot was a better film, but this one does manage to be entertaining, but could have been thought out a bit better. All in all, it is a worthwhile film to watch if you have nothing else to do. The laughs are there, but the film loses steam near the end, and the ending should have been better. Even with all its imperfections, this is an entertaining film that will certainly appeal to the entire family. The performances are good, and there are a few memorable on-screen gags, but like I said, the film is no Sandlot, but it nonetheless delivers a fun filmgoing experience. Daniel Stern was able to pull off something effective here, but it just doesn't go beyond what it could have been. Rookie of the Year should have been a memorable and hilarious ride, but it ends up being funny at times, with parts that are clearly struggling due to an underdeveloped script.
May 2, 2013
It has been a while since I have last seen this movie. It is a mediocre movie at best and when Gary Busy was sane. This is another Disney hit with a feel good story. Definitely worth watching with the family.
March 27, 2013
Gary Busey was tolerable; Daniel Stern not so much.
½ March 21, 2013
A somewhat memorable baseball comedy. Funky buttlovin still stands out as a quote.
½ February 24, 2013
Cut the big, fat, stinky cheese!
½ February 12, 2013
Not bad baseball flick. Nostalgic win.