Rookie of the Year - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rookie of the Year Reviews

½ May 5, 2014
I love this movie. It has a great blend of humour, sport action and even a bit of history to create a very good film experience.
April 27, 2014
One of my childhood favs
January 1, 2014
Witty. Somewhat stupid, but plenty charming.
December 13, 2013
A kid slips and injures his shoulder. While healing, his tendons are wound up in such a way that give him a rocket for an arm. One day at the Cubs' game, he throws a foul ball back and they notice his arm and sign him to a contract, because they are the Cubs. He gets the team onto winning ways with the help of Daniel Stern. Gary Busey is the hard ball on the team that doesn't want him there, but grows to like him They get to the NLDS but he reinjures his arm and doesn't have the arm he used to. However he still gets the outs needed and they advance in the playoffs. Then he realizes the dream isn't for him. The Cubs do win the World Series, again this is fiction, and everyone is happy. Overall a pretty good movie that holds up pretty well even as just a kids movie. There is a bit about the evil stepfather who tries to cash out on the kid, but that could have been cut out really.
½ November 14, 2013
If you are in a sport fan, this movie is good for you to watch.
½ September 1, 2013
I loved this movie when I was a kid.
½ August 23, 2013
very cute and funny movie with a good story. hate that john candy's voice is just heard as the announcer. wish he had a big part in the movie.
June 6, 2013
The only thing realistic about this film is Bobby Bonilla striking out
TheDudeLebowski65
May 25, 2013
Rookie of the Year is a fun family sports film that has good laughs and a colorful cast. Although not one of the most memorable childhood favorites, this is still a fun film worth seeing. Thomas Ian Nicholas gives a fun performance that is funny. Daniel Stern is fun as well, but I found him to be a bit over the top, even if that was the point, it was a bit annoying as well. Stern also directs, and he crafts a fun film that is quite funny, but at times fails to generate the laughs. This film could have been better of course, but overall it's a charming affair that should be seen by baseball film fans. The Sandlot was a better film, but this one does manage to be entertaining, but could have been thought out a bit better. All in all, it is a worthwhile film to watch if you have nothing else to do. The laughs are there, but the film loses steam near the end, and the ending should have been better. Even with all its imperfections, this is an entertaining film that will certainly appeal to the entire family. The performances are good, and there are a few memorable on-screen gags, but like I said, the film is no Sandlot, but it nonetheless delivers a fun filmgoing experience. Daniel Stern was able to pull off something effective here, but it just doesn't go beyond what it could have been. Rookie of the Year should have been a memorable and hilarious ride, but it ends up being funny at times, with parts that are clearly struggling due to an underdeveloped script.
May 2, 2013
It has been a while since I have last seen this movie. It is a mediocre movie at best and when Gary Busy was sane. This is another Disney hit with a feel good story. Definitely worth watching with the family.
March 27, 2013
Gary Busey was tolerable; Daniel Stern not so much.
½ March 21, 2013
A somewhat memorable baseball comedy. Funky buttlovin still stands out as a quote.
½ February 24, 2013
Cut the big, fat, stinky cheese!
½ February 12, 2013
Not bad baseball flick. Nostalgic win.
January 22, 2013
Fantastic film where the Cubs win the World Series. My sister is in this.
January 7, 2013
One of those "so bad it's good" movies and of course since I'm a Cubs fan, I'm totally biased. The Wrigley Field scenes are all awesome. There's more than a few funny moments. The acting is overall horrendous, except for Amy Morton. But overall I've seen this several times & still enjoy it. "Sorry, your door seems to be malfunctioning! I'll get housekeeping!"
January 5, 2013
This would never happen in real life!!
December 13, 2012
Another classic from my childhood that scores big on the nostalgia points.
November 15, 2012
Even though I hate the Cubs, I love this movie!