Room 237 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Room 237 Reviews

½ April 3, 2016
Some interesting and strange theories on the Kubrick version of The Shining.
Definitely not for everyone but I loved it
February 25, 2016
Interesting doc about different theories about The Shining.
½ February 18, 2016
there were a couple good theories mixed in, but most sounded like a crock of shit. no offense to the interviewees, but you thought about this waaaaayyyy too much.
February 12, 2016
A documentary that has a good subject,but kind of like something you would rather look up on the Internet instead of film
½ February 12, 2016
I wanted to love this documentary, but the people interviewed are really too far in their paranoia to be taken seriously, and no one even tries to convince them otherwise ...
½ February 8, 2016
Stanley Kubrick fans be crazy; Exhibit A, Room 237. This documentary looks at several unconventional theories about the hidden meanings in Stanley Kubrick's classic horror film The Shining. The theories include messages about the genocide of the American Indians, the Holocaust of Nazi Germany, and the Moon Landing Hoax (and these are the tamer of the theories presented). But however absurd the ideas are, the film does a good job at backing them up with footage from The Shining. Yet, a lot of the so called evidence can be explained away as continuity errors and coincidence. Still, Room 237 is well-crafted and its zany theories are a bit of fun (if not taken too seriously).
February 7, 2016
I do like the idea of a documentary of all the different theories on what it really means. There are a lot of films which I'd like to see such an analysis of; the Shining included. So I did enjoy this but... it does sound like a some people have too much time on their hands and are really scraping the barrel with their theories. Watch this and see if you agree. My own opinion is that Stanley Kubrick probably didn't want to give any subliminal messages in this film. If he did then, fair play, and if any of these theories are true then I stand corrected but I guess, unless he comes out and says so himself then we'll never know.
December 29, 2015
Several people with ideas and theories as to what Kubrick might have really meant when he made The Shining. Pretty good coffee table conversation, but the film, like the several theories presented, lacks cohesion. No one idea makes a lasting impact, a hodgepodge of snippets of thought, the central theme (if any) being that Kubrick was one bright s.o.b., so he had to've hidden secret meanings into his work. He must've. Right? Right? "Waiter, more coffee over here please."
December 24, 2015
Enigmatic. Brilliant. Genius. Groundbreaking. These are all words that describe Stanley Kubrick, the filmmaker whose work is analyzed in Room 237, a documentary that features many different voices whose take on Kubrick's vaunted The Shinning defies mainstream analysis, to say the least. These are not words that describe this documentary, however, as it proves to be at first alluring, but later frustrating and inaccessible.

That Kubrick's work spawns so many theories is a testament to the greatness of the man and his work. To be sure, there are some fascinating aspects to his career, and the symbolism of many of his films seems to be undeniable. Some of the theories regarding what Stanley was trying to convey are quite compelling, and I was hoping for a thoughtful exploration of these theories.

What Room 237 does, however, is really present more of a mash up of theories. We never see the interviewee's faces; we are simply given their narration against film rolls of Kubrick's different films. There are too many voices and too little delineation between them. Trains of thought wonder and never seem to be honed in. There's interesting things said, but little exploration of it. Points are never contrasted, and instead the viewer is left to try and sort this all out themselves.

Dull analysis is mixed in with rather fascinating analysis, such as Kubrick's alleged collaboration in regards to the moon landing. Instead of capitalizing on this and providing opposing viewpoints, and perhaps challenging some of the points presented, the film simply goes on to the next talking-head, with no real sense of direction. This leads to a frustrating and inaccessible experience, we want to learn, but instead become bored and disinterested.

Simply put, it's a documentary without a rudder.

2/5 Stars
December 16, 2015
What a huge POS. Complete waste of time to those that value theirs. At least one of the nutcases admits he was "clutching/grasping at straws" at one point. I found myself expecting at the end of the "movie" there would be a reveal of sorts showing these peoples's lives now in mental hospitals and the like.
½ December 3, 2015
This was not a documentary , this was not a horror. And literally has nothing to do with the making of the shining. It's several voices talking over scenes from the shining mostly played over and over and over and over and over and over. But not just scenes form the shining. It's majority kubriks films. But Also tons of other irrelevant movies. This THING gives completely absolutely ridiculous theories that have no validity. Waste of time.
½ November 14, 2015
Pretty interesting movie, pointed out a lot of stuff I didn't notice when I watched the shining. Some of the theories are interesting, but others feel like a major stretch.
November 13, 2015
How can all of these claims be true ? Interesting but far fetched
½ November 5, 2015
Some fantastic perception shifting details are highlighted in this eclectic stream of theories surrounding The Shining. Whilst some are dull and over complicated, patience does pay off if only to see some of Kubriks intentional signs you will definitely have missed.
October 16, 2015
Fascinating film presents some of the theories and conspiracy theories behind Kubrick's masterpiece, proving what a brilliant director he was.
October 15, 2015
Really interesting I would love to see this sort of breakdown for the other Kubrick films.
½ October 15, 2015
Definitely reaching at times, but it does help show how brilliant Kubrick was.
½ October 12, 2015
I am as big a Kubrick fan as the makers of this "documentary". Beyond being absolutely boring, they come up with all these insane theories. The Shining is actually a subtext of the Holocaust? Really? Absolute rubbish. I was especially pissed off when in the middle of this "documentary", a kid starts screaming and it is the narrator's kid, who he has to go shut up. Really? You couldn't edit that out? Skip it.
½ October 6, 2015
I'll be honest, my rating is based on watching the first 15 minutes. It think people with intelligence and an imagination can see or theorize almost anything. If something is viewed over and over, of course you might notice things you didn't see before. There are just too many Great Films I haven't seen that I don't want to watch a Good Film over and over for some "Hidden Meaning."