Room 237 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Room 237 Reviews

½ May 12, 2016
It's may be provocative, but not in a good way. The theories are outlandish and misguided. And given the fact that it's analyzing one of the best movies ever made, only exemplifies it's failure. I unfortunately had the pleasure of watching it at it's TIFF release, and safe to say that most of the audience shared this sentiment.
½ April 22, 2016
Room 237 is all about one of my favourite films. As a result, I wasn't expecting to be particularly surprised by any of it. I also wasn't expecting it to really stand out as its own entity either- surely it's just another surface-level aggrandisment of a classic. Well, I was wrong about all of this.

Firstly, whilst there is a surprising amount of depth to this film that goes beyond 'The Shining', it is still a movie that is pretty much always taking about 'The Shining'. As a result, I certainly don't recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen the film and those who have but didn't enjoy it may also want to give that a miss (though liking the film isn't a prerequisite to enjoying this one, I suppose).

We've all at some point I'm sure had the feeling that we're over-analysing something and many of us have also probably flirted with the odd conspiracy theory here and there. Take these two notions to their extremes (and have them revolve around 'The Shining', of course) and suddenly you have a remarkably interesting and bewildering look at the human mind. The movie flows between what feels like sound analysis to full-on 'how on Earth did we end up here?' interpretations until you start to forget which is supposed to be which.

Not only does this give fans of the film plenty to latch on to and ponder but it also gives us plenty to roll our eyes at. However, every step of it is entertaining and as we're simply talking about a film, it all feels rather harmless.

Indeed, I think there's something beautiful about 'Room 237'- the pattern-forming nature of the human mind, our willingness to immerse ourselves in things that we enjoy, and just an oddness that feels sweet. Many 'unorthodox' opinions revolve around big catastrophes and political events and whist 'Room 237' certainly involves one of the classics (the moon landing, of course) it's still ultimately just about 'The Shining'. It's hard to really care if someone's interpretation is completely outwith the norm because, hey, it's a movie, why can't they see what they want to see in it?

'Room 237' is a beautiful little film (by the way, it also reveals who REALLY killed JFK if you watch it upside down and in greyscale).
½ April 13, 2016
Very good movie. Very in-depth look at the Shining. There are so many things I would've missed, if I hadn't seen this movie. But some were a bit over-the-top
½ April 3, 2016
Some interesting and strange theories on the Kubrick version of The Shining.
Definitely not for everyone but I loved it
February 25, 2016
Interesting doc about different theories about The Shining.
½ February 18, 2016
there were a couple good theories mixed in, but most sounded like a crock of shit. no offense to the interviewees, but you thought about this waaaaayyyy too much.
February 12, 2016
A documentary that has a good subject,but kind of like something you would rather look up on the Internet instead of film
½ February 12, 2016
I wanted to love this documentary, but the people interviewed are really too far in their paranoia to be taken seriously, and no one even tries to convince them otherwise ...
½ February 8, 2016
Stanley Kubrick fans be crazy; Exhibit A, Room 237. This documentary looks at several unconventional theories about the hidden meanings in Stanley Kubrick's classic horror film The Shining. The theories include messages about the genocide of the American Indians, the Holocaust of Nazi Germany, and the Moon Landing Hoax (and these are the tamer of the theories presented). But however absurd the ideas are, the film does a good job at backing them up with footage from The Shining. Yet, a lot of the so called evidence can be explained away as continuity errors and coincidence. Still, Room 237 is well-crafted and its zany theories are a bit of fun (if not taken too seriously).
February 7, 2016
I do like the idea of a documentary of all the different theories on what it really means. There are a lot of films which I'd like to see such an analysis of; the Shining included. So I did enjoy this but... it does sound like a some people have too much time on their hands and are really scraping the barrel with their theories. Watch this and see if you agree. My own opinion is that Stanley Kubrick probably didn't want to give any subliminal messages in this film. If he did then, fair play, and if any of these theories are true then I stand corrected but I guess, unless he comes out and says so himself then we'll never know.
December 29, 2015
Several people with ideas and theories as to what Kubrick might have really meant when he made The Shining. Pretty good coffee table conversation, but the film, like the several theories presented, lacks cohesion. No one idea makes a lasting impact, a hodgepodge of snippets of thought, the central theme (if any) being that Kubrick was one bright s.o.b., so he had to've hidden secret meanings into his work. He must've. Right? Right? "Waiter, more coffee over here please."
December 24, 2015
Enigmatic. Brilliant. Genius. Groundbreaking. These are all words that describe Stanley Kubrick, the filmmaker whose work is analyzed in Room 237, a documentary that features many different voices whose take on Kubrick's vaunted The Shinning defies mainstream analysis, to say the least. These are not words that describe this documentary, however, as it proves to be at first alluring, but later frustrating and inaccessible.

That Kubrick's work spawns so many theories is a testament to the greatness of the man and his work. To be sure, there are some fascinating aspects to his career, and the symbolism of many of his films seems to be undeniable. Some of the theories regarding what Stanley was trying to convey are quite compelling, and I was hoping for a thoughtful exploration of these theories.

What Room 237 does, however, is really present more of a mash up of theories. We never see the interviewee's faces; we are simply given their narration against film rolls of Kubrick's different films. There are too many voices and too little delineation between them. Trains of thought wonder and never seem to be honed in. There's interesting things said, but little exploration of it. Points are never contrasted, and instead the viewer is left to try and sort this all out themselves.

Dull analysis is mixed in with rather fascinating analysis, such as Kubrick's alleged collaboration in regards to the moon landing. Instead of capitalizing on this and providing opposing viewpoints, and perhaps challenging some of the points presented, the film simply goes on to the next talking-head, with no real sense of direction. This leads to a frustrating and inaccessible experience, we want to learn, but instead become bored and disinterested.

Simply put, it's a documentary without a rudder.

2/5 Stars
December 16, 2015
What a huge POS. Complete waste of time to those that value theirs. At least one of the nutcases admits he was "clutching/grasping at straws" at one point. I found myself expecting at the end of the "movie" there would be a reveal of sorts showing these peoples's lives now in mental hospitals and the like.
½ December 3, 2015
This was not a documentary , this was not a horror. And literally has nothing to do with the making of the shining. It's several voices talking over scenes from the shining mostly played over and over and over and over and over and over. But not just scenes form the shining. It's majority kubriks films. But Also tons of other irrelevant movies. This THING gives completely absolutely ridiculous theories that have no validity. Waste of time.
½ November 14, 2015
Pretty interesting movie, pointed out a lot of stuff I didn't notice when I watched the shining. Some of the theories are interesting, but others feel like a major stretch.
November 13, 2015
How can all of these claims be true ? Interesting but far fetched
½ November 5, 2015
Some fantastic perception shifting details are highlighted in this eclectic stream of theories surrounding The Shining. Whilst some are dull and over complicated, patience does pay off if only to see some of Kubriks intentional signs you will definitely have missed.
October 16, 2015
Fascinating film presents some of the theories and conspiracy theories behind Kubrick's masterpiece, proving what a brilliant director he was.
October 15, 2015
Really interesting I would love to see this sort of breakdown for the other Kubrick films.