Room 237 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Room 237 Reviews

February 7, 2016
I do like the idea of a documentary of all the different theories on what it really means. There are a lot of films which I'd like to see such an analysis of; the Shining included. So I did enjoy this but... it does sound like a some people have too much time on their hands and are really scraping the barrel with their theories. Watch this and see if you agree. My own opinion is that Stanley Kubrick probably didn't want to give any subliminal messages in this film. If he did then, fair play, and if any of these theories are true then I stand corrected but I guess, unless he comes out and says so himself then we'll never know.
December 29, 2015
Several people with ideas and theories as to what Kubrick might have really meant when he made The Shining. Pretty good coffee table conversation, but the film, like the several theories presented, lacks cohesion. No one idea makes a lasting impact, a hodgepodge of snippets of thought, the central theme (if any) being that Kubrick was one bright s.o.b., so he had to've hidden secret meanings into his work. He must've. Right? Right? "Waiter, more coffee over here please."
December 24, 2015
Enigmatic. Brilliant. Genius. Groundbreaking. These are all words that describe Stanley Kubrick, the filmmaker whose work is analyzed in Room 237, a documentary that features many different voices whose take on Kubrick's vaunted The Shinning defies mainstream analysis, to say the least. These are not words that describe this documentary, however, as it proves to be at first alluring, but later frustrating and inaccessible.

That Kubrick's work spawns so many theories is a testament to the greatness of the man and his work. To be sure, there are some fascinating aspects to his career, and the symbolism of many of his films seems to be undeniable. Some of the theories regarding what Stanley was trying to convey are quite compelling, and I was hoping for a thoughtful exploration of these theories.

What Room 237 does, however, is really present more of a mash up of theories. We never see the interviewee's faces; we are simply given their narration against film rolls of Kubrick's different films. There are too many voices and too little delineation between them. Trains of thought wonder and never seem to be honed in. There's interesting things said, but little exploration of it. Points are never contrasted, and instead the viewer is left to try and sort this all out themselves.

Dull analysis is mixed in with rather fascinating analysis, such as Kubrick's alleged collaboration in regards to the moon landing. Instead of capitalizing on this and providing opposing viewpoints, and perhaps challenging some of the points presented, the film simply goes on to the next talking-head, with no real sense of direction. This leads to a frustrating and inaccessible experience, we want to learn, but instead become bored and disinterested.

Simply put, it's a documentary without a rudder.

2/5 Stars
December 16, 2015
What a huge POS. Complete waste of time to those that value theirs. At least one of the nutcases admits he was "clutching/grasping at straws" at one point. I found myself expecting at the end of the "movie" there would be a reveal of sorts showing these peoples's lives now in mental hospitals and the like.
½ December 3, 2015
This was not a documentary , this was not a horror. And literally has nothing to do with the making of the shining. It's several voices talking over scenes from the shining mostly played over and over and over and over and over and over. But not just scenes form the shining. It's majority kubriks films. But Also tons of other irrelevant movies. This THING gives completely absolutely ridiculous theories that have no validity. Waste of time.
½ November 14, 2015
Pretty interesting movie, pointed out a lot of stuff I didn't notice when I watched the shining. Some of the theories are interesting, but others feel like a major stretch.
November 13, 2015
How can all of these claims be true ? Interesting but far fetched
½ November 5, 2015
Some fantastic perception shifting details are highlighted in this eclectic stream of theories surrounding The Shining. Whilst some are dull and over complicated, patience does pay off if only to see some of Kubriks intentional signs you will definitely have missed.
October 16, 2015
Fascinating film presents some of the theories and conspiracy theories behind Kubrick's masterpiece, proving what a brilliant director he was.
October 15, 2015
Really interesting I would love to see this sort of breakdown for the other Kubrick films.
½ October 15, 2015
Definitely reaching at times, but it does help show how brilliant Kubrick was.
½ October 12, 2015
I am as big a Kubrick fan as the makers of this "documentary". Beyond being absolutely boring, they come up with all these insane theories. The Shining is actually a subtext of the Holocaust? Really? Absolute rubbish. I was especially pissed off when in the middle of this "documentary", a kid starts screaming and it is the narrator's kid, who he has to go shut up. Really? You couldn't edit that out? Skip it.
½ October 6, 2015
I'll be honest, my rating is based on watching the first 15 minutes. It think people with intelligence and an imagination can see or theorize almost anything. If something is viewed over and over, of course you might notice things you didn't see before. There are just too many Great Films I haven't seen that I don't want to watch a Good Film over and over for some "Hidden Meaning."
September 20, 2015
Curious and peculiar.

I appreciate the film analysis, although mostly dubious at that--the documentary just edits interviews seamlessly without much of an agenda.

The result is a documentary that mirrors the descent into madness of Jack Torrence. It is a entrancing wide palette of the Shining. My conclusion was Stanley Kubrick was making art, and not really concerned with what he was doing.
September 4, 2015
This documentary is full of very interesting information. It has fun conspiracies to think about, and also makes you wonder about a brilliant director whether you respect his work or not. Unfortunately the movie itself is quite boring. The shots and way the documentary is directed is almost bad enough to turn off. As I said before though, the subject matter they have and the conspiracies they bring up and just so interesting
½ August 29, 2015
These people have way too much time on their hands. Also this documentary is hilarious.
July 28, 2015
Was More Entertaining For Me Then The Kubriick (Orignal) Film. They Cleverly Rework The Scenes Against Voice-Overs & Music. It Really Is Only Appreciated By Those Self-Obsessed Art Crowds..Everyone Else Will Find The Reassigned, Repurposed Footage A Bit Far-Fetched & Juxtaposed Rabble. Losing The Audience, Ironically Just Like The Riddles Of Kubrick.
July 27, 2015
It helped me understand all that shit in "The Shining" wasn't shit at all. It was deep at all. No shit.
½ July 23, 2015
This was a very interesting doc to watch about one of my all time favorite films "The Shining". Most of what's discussed in the film is conjecture, but so much of it is pretty plausible and very intriguing. It offers a bit of peak inside the mind of one of the greatest and most intelligent artists of all time too, Stanley Kubrick, and that alone was worth the viewing. Stanley Kubrick = The Greatest Film Director Of All Time!
July 13, 2015
works if your a fan of film criticism