Room 237 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Room 237 Reviews

½ October 15, 2015
Definitely reaching at times, but it does help show how brilliant Kubrick was.
½ October 12, 2015
I am as big a Kubrick fan as the makers of this "documentary". Beyond being absolutely boring, they come up with all these insane theories. The Shining is actually a subtext of the Holocaust? Really? Absolute rubbish. I was especially pissed off when in the middle of this "documentary", a kid starts screaming and it is the narrator's kid, who he has to go shut up. Really? You couldn't edit that out? Skip it.
½ October 6, 2015
I'll be honest, my rating is based on watching the first 15 minutes. It think people with intelligence and an imagination can see or theorize almost anything. If something is viewed over and over, of course you might notice things you didn't see before. There are just too many Great Films I haven't seen that I don't want to watch a Good Film over and over for some "Hidden Meaning."
September 20, 2015
Curious and peculiar.

I appreciate the film analysis, although mostly dubious at that--the documentary just edits interviews seamlessly without much of an agenda.

The result is a documentary that mirrors the descent into madness of Jack Torrence. It is a entrancing wide palette of the Shining. My conclusion was Stanley Kubrick was making art, and not really concerned with what he was doing.
September 4, 2015
This documentary is full of very interesting information. It has fun conspiracies to think about, and also makes you wonder about a brilliant director whether you respect his work or not. Unfortunately the movie itself is quite boring. The shots and way the documentary is directed is almost bad enough to turn off. As I said before though, the subject matter they have and the conspiracies they bring up and just so interesting
½ August 29, 2015
These people have way too much time on their hands. Also this documentary is hilarious.
July 28, 2015
Was More Entertaining For Me Then The Kubriick (Orignal) Film. They Cleverly Rework The Scenes Against Voice-Overs & Music. It Really Is Only Appreciated By Those Self-Obsessed Art Crowds..Everyone Else Will Find The Reassigned, Repurposed Footage A Bit Far-Fetched & Juxtaposed Rabble. Losing The Audience, Ironically Just Like The Riddles Of Kubrick.
July 27, 2015
It helped me understand all that shit in "The Shining" wasn't shit at all. It was deep at all. No shit.
½ July 23, 2015
This was a very interesting doc to watch about one of my all time favorite films "The Shining". Most of what's discussed in the film is conjecture, but so much of it is pretty plausible and very intriguing. It offers a bit of peak inside the mind of one of the greatest and most intelligent artists of all time too, Stanley Kubrick, and that alone was worth the viewing. Stanley Kubrick = The Greatest Film Director Of All Time!
July 13, 2015
works if your a fan of film criticism
July 12, 2015
Whether or not Rodney Ascher's encaging and creative documentary offers any valid film analysis is dependent upon how the viewer relates to art. Ascher approaches the subject of his film with a serious and non-biased style.

The subject of Room 237 is not The Shining or even those who love it. The subject of this film is the often obsessive psychological response stirred within a culture by one artist or one specific work by the artists. The Shining has formed more than a cult following, in may ways it has formed a Cultural Cult in which people seem to devote a significant amount of their lives trying to deconstruct the movie shot by shot in hopes of finding hidden meaning and hidden cinematic clues that they feel Kubrick left behind.

While this documentary is a just a bit too long, it is a humorous and baffling documentary. It never takes a malicious aim at the individuals who have attached to Kubrick's 1980 film. Some of their cinematic sleuthing feels like it could bear some merit and at other times it feels like these fans

It might not fit into out ideas of cinematic study, but Room 237 hold your attention and is an interesting glimpse into cinematic obsession
July 6, 2015
I was on board for the first few 'theories', but then it got to a level of stupidity that Lloyd Christmas from Dumb and Dumber would find dumb. Really. It's somewhat funny realizing people actually spent the time to come up with these convoluted theories.
July 1, 2015
The interpretations of The Shining in this are so ridiculous I just couldn't enjoy this or be interested in it at all. I guess you could say it's an interesting experiment in narrative technique, or something, but was almost totally a waste of time. It's slightly interesting in the way the director doesn't judge the narrators, and lets the viewer make up their own mind, but still is basically the uninteresting ramblings of crazy people.
June 15, 2015
What an absolute load of tosh...the fact that someone has actually bothered to make this film astounds me. Why can't people just enjoy The Shining for what it is...pure entertainment.
½ June 13, 2015
Apollo 11, Red indians, Holocaust !! WOAAH
Harlequin68
June 12, 2015
Starting with "Dr. Strangelove," Stanley Kubrick took a much more detailed approach to filmmaking which also added to the time it took for him to make a film. A special challenge was with "Barry Lyndon" in not only recreating the 18th century in realistic fashion but in also getting a dramatic performance out of Ryan O'Neal.

With his next movie "The Shining," those same background details would end up tripping up any number of over-attentive viewers. This phenomenon is explored in the documentary "Room 237" which also serves as a cautionary tale about seeing a movie at least 50 times.

Whereas the viewers interviewed provide occasionally valid insights, especially along the lines of the Overlook Hotel actually being alive, there are other theories that are to be polite just out there.

Take for instance the one who saw "The Shining" as proof that Kubrick faked the moon landing, mostly in a random sweater and cans of Tang. Actually, he kind of hedges his bets when he says that we probably did reach the moon but that is not the real footage. In any case, I did not watch the bonus footage of "Room 237" on the DVD, so alas I don't know if he ever got audited by the IRS.

And then there is numerology which is shaky at the best of times, which in this case involves the number 42.(2 X 3 X 7 = 42) Admittedly, that is also the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything in 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' which was first produced two years before "The Shining" was released. Or maybe Kubrick was just a huge Jackie Robinson fan.
June 10, 2015
A great subject matter and amazing information that was a blast to learn, I just wish there was more to look at rather than what boils down to stock footage with voice over.
June 8, 2015
The Shining is my favorite movie, so to get to watch a documentary that explores its theories and hidden messages is absolutely F.A.S.C.I.N.A.T.I.N.G. Room 237 is funny, compelling, and entertaining as hell. You may not believe all these theories, but you'll certainly be amazed by them.
May 14, 2015
Watching this movie means sitting through 100 minutes of conspiracy theories. You start to feel like you've been cornered by the wrong person at a party. I wouldn't blame anyone for disliking this doc.

That being said, I found it interesting. It made me think about the thin line between fan and fanatic. I would totally do things like superimpose a movie on itself backwards- I just wouldn't go ascribing secret meanings. But really, how do you validate or invalidate interpretation of artistic works? Film is so heavily symbolic. I have movies that I am 100% sure in my interpretation and the directorial intent (Miike's Audition... cough cough) but other people wouldn't agree- how different is my conviction from that of these crazies?

Seems like most reviews criticize the choice not to show the interviewees. I actually appreciate that because I feel like showing them would have made the individuals more of a focus and it would have been like "oh, look at these kooks". The disembodied voices let you just think about the nature of film obsession.
May 8, 2015
It's a little sloppy but its a nice accompaniment to Kubrick's horror classic.