Room 237 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Room 237 Reviews

Harlequin68
June 12, 2015
Starting with "Dr. Strangelove," Stanley Kubrick took a much more detailed approach to filmmaking which also added to the time it took for him to make a film. A special challenge was with "Barry Lyndon" in not only recreating the 18th century in realistic fashion but in also getting a dramatic performance out of Ryan O'Neal.

With his next movie "The Shining," those same background details would end up tripping up any number of over-attentive viewers. This phenomenon is explored in the documentary "Room 237" which also serves as a cautionary tale about seeing a movie at least 50 times.

Whereas the viewers interviewed provide occasionally valid insights, especially along the lines of the Overlook Hotel actually being alive, there are other theories that are to be polite just out there.

Take for instance the one who saw "The Shining" as proof that Kubrick faked the moon landing, mostly in a random sweater and cans of Tang. Actually, he kind of hedges his bets when he says that we probably did reach the moon but that is not the real footage. In any case, I did not watch the bonus footage of "Room 237" on the DVD, so alas I don't know if he ever got audited by the IRS.

And then there is numerology which is shaky at the best of times, which in this case involves the number 42.(2 X 3 X 7 = 42) Admittedly, that is also the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything in 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' which was first produced two years before "The Shining" was released. Or maybe Kubrick was just a huge Jackie Robinson fan.
June 10, 2015
A great subject matter and amazing information that was a blast to learn, I just wish there was more to look at rather than what boils down to stock footage with voice over.
June 8, 2015
The Shining is my favorite movie, so to get to watch a documentary that explores its theories and hidden messages is absolutely F.A.S.C.I.N.A.T.I.N.G. Room 237 is funny, compelling, and entertaining as hell. You may not believe all these theories, but you'll certainly be amazed by them.
May 14, 2015
Watching this movie means sitting through 100 minutes of conspiracy theories. You start to feel like you've been cornered by the wrong person at a party. I wouldn't blame anyone for disliking this doc.

That being said, I found it interesting. It made me think about the thin line between fan and fanatic. I would totally do things like superimpose a movie on itself backwards- I just wouldn't go ascribing secret meanings. But really, how do you validate or invalidate interpretation of artistic works? Film is so heavily symbolic. I have movies that I am 100% sure in my interpretation and the directorial intent (Miike's Audition... cough cough) but other people wouldn't agree- how different is my conviction from that of these crazies?

Seems like most reviews criticize the choice not to show the interviewees. I actually appreciate that because I feel like showing them would have made the individuals more of a focus and it would have been like "oh, look at these kooks". The disembodied voices let you just think about the nature of film obsession.
May 8, 2015
It's a little sloppy but its a nice accompaniment to Kubrick's horror classic.
May 3, 2015
Really compelling doc on one of the creepiest movies of all time..A movie that conspiracy theorists will love
April 20, 2015
Room 237 is a fascinating look at theories about the hidden meanings and messages in The Shining that should be viewed by all fans of the film.
April 11, 2015
It's only theory, but it does make some very good observations, or Kubrick conspiracy theories if you like about The Shining film that seem to make sense.
April 10, 2015
A collection of what amounts to conspiracy theories about The Shining and Stanley Kubrick. Most quite easily debunked, but some interesting tidbits about the film you might not have noticed. Really not worth the time, unless you love both Kubrick and conspiracy theories.
Watched at home on Netflix with Josh, April 10, 2015.
April 5, 2015
It would have been nice if all the theories this film presents about Kubrick's The Shining had been commented upon -- at least as examples of the quest to find meaning through symbolism where perhaps none was intended. Instead, we get one theory after another, some overlapping in content, and some far more convincing than others. Always interesting, but the film itself lacks curiosity about its subjects.
March 26, 2015
A little slow and messy, Room 237 offers mind blowing theories about Kubrick's rendition of The Shining. Perhaps some theories are a little far-fetched, but most of them make too much sense to be ignored. It does open new ways of looking at the film for me as I was disappointed by the deviations from the book. Now I understand it is the very intent to deviate, and can't wait to watch the film again in completely different lenses.
March 18, 2015
My favorite part of this documentary is the question "Why did he change the room number?"

It wasn't to counter guests from avoiding the actual room in the hotel out of fear, because Room 217 does not exist. Why change the room number, when it has no significance to the film?

Beyond all that, it was fun finding all the bizarre Easter eggs planted by Kubrick.
½ March 17, 2015
If this movie wasn't so boring and practically putting me to sleep, it would have likely made me quite irate as many "conspiracy" theories tend to do.
As much as I like The Shining and how this movie pointed out of certain "aspects" of the film hearing theories based on practically nothing completely ruined that aspect for me.
The only "conspiracy" theory from the film I think is likely true based off what was presented here in this movie was regarding a certain car crash and how it relates to Mr. King and the original story.
I hope to never watch this movie ever again... but I probably will. I'm a sucker for punishment.
March 9, 2015
Had to use closed captioning. Very smart, very fast talk. Interesting doc.
½ March 5, 2015
A potentially brain teasing documentary with a few interesting theories gets drug through the mud and outnumbered by far-to-many batsh¡t insane conspiracy theories.
½ February 28, 2015
A provocative masterpiece, Room 237 is an intriguing documentary for all of the Kubrick fans in the theaters!
½ February 25, 2015
Its absolute nonsense and a masterclass in over-interpretation. But still a fascinating look at cinephiles and their twisted thoughts.
February 23, 2015
This is not by any means a good documentary. The shining is one of my favorite movies of all time and the documentary is one of my favorite genres of film. But this movie is just for the most part idiotic. For every theory that makes sense and is interesting and is supported by facts there are three that are completely retarded!! I don't know if this is just how the movie is meant to be but I didn't get that from it. This really is a disappointment because I was really looking forward to see this.
February 22, 2015
I'm all for film criticism and crackpot theories, but most of the ideas here are completely ridiculous! What's wrong with it being a brilliantly constructed horror masterpiece?
February 16, 2015
Uma que outra interpretação interessante em meio a uma montanha de teorias conspiratórias absurdas.