Rope - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rope Reviews

May 21, 2016
James Stewart is exceptional.
May 5, 2016
Rope (1948) ??
Intriguing but ineffectual film which was entirely done in one shot, as camera constantly follows two college grads who murder someone, hide his body, and invite people over all in the same apartment just for the thrill of it. An irresistibly clever idea never quite takes flight and suffers from neurotic acting. Alfred Hitchcock zoomed into the back of someone's clothes to provide basis for easy editing.
½ May 1, 2016
A surprising (almost explicitly) homoerotic thriller from the master of suspense. Although the beginning arguably limits the tension of the rest of the film, Hitchcock still manages to convey thrills and black humor through a narrative that makes the most of its entire cast.
½ April 16, 2016
Quite good, not perfect, but 'not perfect' in the way that all theater kinda is by nature of how it is, if that makes any sense. So, it's fine. Jimmy Stewart steals the whole thing and it only really gets awesome when he finally shows up. But yeah, this is a good one. Good cock.
½ April 9, 2016
The long takes may be a remarkable stunt but those hidden cuts are in fact extremely distracting and obvious - and, contrary to popular belief, the film does have conventional, unmasked cuts. Even so, it benefits from tense moments and a well-written plot with great dialogue.
½ April 1, 2016
It wasn't until about half way through this that I realised that Hitchcock wasn't focusing on telling an interesting, twisted story, as he usually does but more on making a film shot in a single shot ( I think). At least from the point I noticed this it was all a single shot. So Birdman owes a lot to this film. I prefer a decent story though, and this isn't one.
½ March 28, 2016
Quick and tightly wound,this is one of Hitchcock's best.
½ March 26, 2016
Rope is a fun Alfred Hitchcock film with some pretty funny dialogue at times. I highly recommend this film.
March 19, 2016
The tension gets unbearable.
February 1, 2016
Hitch's take on the famous leopold-loeb murder case & another lost review
½ November 26, 2015
Innovative direction, playful camera work, a fascinating score, a good script, some suspense Hitch couldn't help but instill in his creation, loads of macabre ironies and a decent cast. My only major dissatisfaction: Farley Granger? Come on, Hitchy!
½ November 13, 2015
Old stock clearance - 8 years in disk! ??
½ November 8, 2015
I first happened to catch this film on TV when I was about 14 and I loved it but I had no idea why. I just watched it again and it's just brilliant. it's pretty much just constant dialogue in the one location for nearly an hour and a half but it still manages to be a complete thrill ride as you await the fate of Brendan and Phillip.
James Stewart is perfect! they don't make actors like him anymore.
The camera shots and the set are just stunning. I still can't believe the view put of the apartment window is fake! it looks amazing.
Alfred Hitchcock was truly one of the best directors of all time.
Paris S.
½ October 9, 2015
Compelling suspense that is always at work, holding your attention taught as if ensnared. One of Stewart's most interesting performances. Recalls Crime and Punishment in its key argument made by the duo responsible for the murder.
½ September 22, 2015
Alfred Hitchcock's performance-driven drama is a simple picture, favouring subtleties over style, and experimentation over innovation.
The film's theatrical roots prickle through every frame and line of dialogue, and Hitchcock uses the kitchen sink setting to draw attention to his characters' expressions, cadences and shortcomings in a way seldom seen outside of courts and conviction rooms.
It's rare to see a film so wholeheartedly reliant on its actors, but when Hitch's experiment works, Rope is a bubbling cauldron of wits and weaknesses. When it doesn't, it's a circular bickering battle grounded in subtle homoeroticism.
½ September 19, 2015
Legitimately suspenseful, solidly directed, and gracefully shot, though there are a couple slipups in that last case. A straight-from-stageplay adaptation that is enhanced by what only movies can do.
September 3, 2015
Two probably homosexual intellectual socialites commit the perfect murder and have a dinner party to commemorate, but are foiled by an equally intellectual former professor in this amazing real-time Hitchcock film, his first color, that appears with superior editing to film it in one continuous shot. The ethics of eugenics and Nietzsche are put to the test, and good guy Jimmy Stewart thwarts the uppity villains
½ August 16, 2015
good, good only a little too slow
½ August 16, 2015
Almost perfectly crafted this supposed "made-to-look-like-one-take" picture from Hitchcock. It's brilliantly told though, and the suspense builds as the film moves along. It start with it's opening shocking scene and to know more before seeing this classic is better left unsaid. James Stewart and the other players at hand here work perfectly against each other. To watch it all unravel was more exciting than most modern movies, I've seen. Hitchcock shows us once again what all he is capable of making when it comes to feature films and this is no exception. Apparently this is also loosely based on a real case in history as well as a famous play from back in the 40's. What Hitchcock does here is recreates the stage to screen with long single shot takes that feel like they were all filmed in one night where everyone was spot on.
½ August 5, 2015
One of my favorite Hitchcock pictures!