The Rose Tattoo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Rose Tattoo Reviews

November 10, 2017
This is such a strange film. At first I thought it was a heavy drama with all these deep emotional things going on. But then there were moments of real levity, to the point that I was almost laughing out loud, but then it would get dark again. I found it tough to nail down the genre, and part of that was the performance of Anna Magnani. She plays the vast majority of this film very straight, so it?s hard to think of it as a comedy, even when Burt Lancaster is hamming it up in the same scene. She is going through some serious things in her life and she takes it out on everyone around her. I was starting to get very impatient with The Rose Tattoo, because everything centered around Magnani?s character and she is so unpleasant. There are also a lot of little subplots swirling around her. While they play into the main storyline either directly or indirectly, it takes some time before you can get your bearings and understand what story they want to tell. The entire film was a mixed bag for me, because at times I was enjoying it, then I?d be annoyed by it, and then I?d just be confused. It never had the kind of focus and direction that I wanted, so it didn?t impact me as powerfully as I think they intended. Still, I will admit that The Rose Tattoo has some strong performances and a few scenes that are enjoyable.
October 25, 2017
***ACADEMY AWARD WINNER, MAGNANI, BAKES A SFOGLIATELLA LIKE NOBODY'S BUSINESS***
August 18, 2017
Anna Magnani is superb!!! But why is Burt Lancaster in this? That is the oddest bit of casting. Besides his body, he doesn't fit.
May 1, 2016
Absolutely horrible movie. Burt Lancaster should not have been cast in this role.
½ June 29, 2014
This was brilliant until Lancaster turned up. The performance by Magnani was up there with the very best of the 50's.
June 20, 2014
with a script by tennessee williams this drama is awesome
½ April 29, 2014
Well written and performed characters. Magnani and Lancaster had made a remarkable simple duet all along the third act, especially with their spontaneous tiny details that must be added by themselves during the rehearsals.
March 3, 2014
Anna Magnani is fabulous in whatever she appears in. With Lancaster it is touch and go. Call this one a middling effort. the film is likely held back by society norms as to what should and should not appear in a film. Overdue perhaps for a reboot.
½ February 2, 2014
a little loud at times, but Anna Magnani and Burt Lancaster give heartfelt, believable performances
September 24, 2013
Tennessee Williams wrote this one for Anna Magnani who is excellent as Serfina, a grieving widow. Burt Lnacaster is a little over the top and so young in this one. Strong script and good story.
September 9, 2013
burt lancaster's character is kind of off-putting
½ November 15, 2012
I can't imagine any other actress - any Hollywood actress - in this role. The italian giant of acting, Anna Magnani, carries the movie with such power. The way she claps her hands when she's nervous, her laughs, her big gestures and hot blooded personality. The movie goes great, until Burt Lancaster places on the screen with that ugly, overacted and annoying as hell performance. God, he was miscast in this movie. If I were the director, I would have shot him, for almost have killed the movie. This only didn't happen because of Magnani.
March 23, 2012
Loud, raucous, and schizophrenic, and those are the movies good points.
December 31, 2011
Loud, raucous, and schizophrenic, and those are the movies good points.
October 14, 2011
Burt Lancaster's character was so bumbling and lovable that you couldn't help but cheer him on in his quest for love. I loved this story and the super nosy community - even the priest was in on local gossip.
August 2, 2011
Looks entirely forgettable.
January 29, 2011
A Tennessee Williams adaptation which, while good, doesn't hold a candle to the brilliant screenplay drama nor the acting passion of "Streetcar..." Anna Magnani won the Oscar for her performance of a Italian widow on the Mississippi coast. After three years, she still remains house bound in mourning to a passionate criminal with a rose tattoo on his chest. She brings the truth of anything you would expect to see from a sad Sicilian old woman, but it is Anna's first English-role and she is admittedly a little hard to understand.

She raises a teenage daughter with too tight an iron grip, and the daughter eventually rebels with a young and naive sailor. After basically losing her daughter she meets Burt Lancaster, a hardbody working man who's too stupid to be taken seriously. Does she let her guard down or does she leave him broken? When Burt joins at the 51:00 mark, the whole mood of the film changes. Becomes a little goofy, a little romantic. The difference threw me out a little bit. Thus the three stars.
flixsterman
January 3, 2011
Burt Lancaster may get top billing but the real star of this film is the incomparable Anna Magnani. What a performance!
May 29, 2010
Tennessee Williams wrote this play for Magnani, so it's no surprise that she shines in this role. Rather than trademark decadence, this South focuses on the Sicilian immigrant experience. The script reads authentically and Magnani's performance lends further credibility to Sicilian views of family, gender roles and honor. Lancaster hasn't been in a goofier or over-acted role, yet his rendering is appropriately clownesque. For once, Williams brings happiness out of the darkness.