Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead Reviews

January 30, 2016
I've read the play, so I'm looking forward to seeing this one.
½ January 16, 2016
Unique, witty and entertaining, that is if you like Shakespeare.
Robert B.
December 17, 2015
The title gives away nothing, and that is the genius of this film. One feels like anything can happen, anything goes, in this fictive world. But the fact that everyone already knows how it goes, except for Rosencratz and Guildenstern, makes for this spellbinding and elastic tension that draws us through the film. The action conjures up feelings like that of watching a spinning top: it is highly playful, curious, and inventive. Gary Oldman and Tim Roth play their roles with such natural ease, they make this quirky film into a personal favorite. For lovers of wit and whimsy, this is a must see.
½ March 31, 2015
Uninspired performances abound tied with very bland material to work with.
½ February 27, 2015
I am a HUGE Shakespeare fan, and this is a wonderfully clever take on what 2 of the least important characters in the play Hamlet are doing while they are NOT in the play. When the are in the play, the dialogue and action is exactly how it is written - but, for the other 90% of the movie, they are trying to figure out where they are, how they got there, and why is Hamlet acting like he is. Furthermore, the duo hilariously take on concept like: gravity, chance, physics, and other mathematical and scientific endeavors. The dialogue, banter, and wit are absolutely top notch - and the trio of Tim Roth, Gary Oldman, and Richard Dreyfuss make for a marvelous cast for this play adaptation. I have seen this movie at least 20 times, and it never ceases to engage me. If you don't like Shakespeare or don't know much about the play Hamlet, you probably won't enjoy this like I do.

Grade = 8.5/10
½ January 16, 2015
Witty, brilliantly cast and captures the sould of the play. I wish it were available on bluray.
January 6, 2014
When Shakespeare & amazing dialogue collide with slapstick humor & medicore directing, the result is this movie.
½ December 13, 2013
Doesn't quite get going for a while, but once it does it's very funny. The sound track feels a bit out of place.
December 10, 2013
Entirely magnificent extension of the Hamlet story. Sheer genius!
November 12, 2013
The play's legendary humor is very evident in this humorous adaptation of Tom Stoppard's play. However, the film's one flaw is that it tries to take advantage of how a film can use more effects than a play can, which takes away from the story. The acting of Tim Roth and Gary Oldman are nevertheless unforgettable.
½ July 6, 2013
Pretty funny for a spinoff of Hamlet. This is a lot longer than it needs to be, though. Roth and Oldman are a great acting team and have a ton of chemistry. Entertaining film, even though it's not really my thing.
June 26, 2013
Is this meta? I don't know.
June 17, 2013
Although lacking at times, good performances and the wit of Tom Stoppard's play pull the movie through to be a success.
June 17, 2013
Much as he would later do with Shakespeare in Love (1998), writer Tom Stoppard delivered a tale of Shakespearean origin from a skewed and unexpected perspective.
June 12, 2013
So overrated. Pretentious and boring.
½ June 11, 2013
Hamlet is all about exploring mental illness. R&G Are Dead takes the idea further by focusing on mind-fuckery. The plays on language and grammar are done well while taking us on a mental adventure into fate and self-determination. This is a good movie. Not great or awesome, but worth seeing at least once. It's also worth seeing Roth & Oldman before they got big & famous. They do a good job playing off each other in this. Dreyfuss is also great as always.
May 13, 2013
Slow paced, but enjoyable
April 20, 2013
I was too distracted by the superb writing to notice the lackluster acting.
Many claim that the acting is a distant second to that of the live performance. Perhaps they are right. Without making that comparison, I found the film to be enjoyable.
This movie appeals to English majors, theatre majors, psychology majors, physics majors, and video game majors.
April 1, 2013
Delightful! Amazing! Incredibly witty, and a fabulous adaptation of the play.
March 21, 2013
Fantastically clever and witty. After many years of hearing about it I finally took the time to watch it. If you don't know hamlet though you probably won't get it.