Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead Reviews

• Dec 27, 2018

One of my most beloved movies. I loce Tom Stoppards book and I love to see the cast enjoy the nonesensical script.

• Nov 13, 2018

The only film Tom Stoppard ever directed and it's something special. Two minor characters from the play 'Hamlet' stumble around. They are good friends and comes along great. I saw the first two minutes or so and I liked it, so I gave it a go. It seemed very funny - something for a hungover Sunday evening. Sadly, it's too complex and too boring to work out for me. Sure, the two leads in Gary Oldman and Tim Roth is great. This dialogue based film has plenty of quotes and some smart moves as the duo finds out and solves big, revolutionary things, way before the human race actually did. A few semi-funny scenes, but it feels dragged for the most time and a costume drama setting is not really helping. OK music, cool editing and OK filming. I struggled trough this one - and you should not struggle trough a comedy to be straight. It's just too heavy and intelligent. For me it was a bore, but I'm sure a lot of people would enjoy this one. 3.5 out of 10 coin tosses.

• Apr 23, 2018

Not as well portrayed as I remember from reading the play, but embraces the existentialist/absurdist in a notable way, especially for its time.

• Jun 17, 2017

Witty with generous splashes of "who's on first" type banter. Even more surreal than Hamlet, on which it's based, it left me amused yet bewildered. I'll have to revisit Hamlet. Roth, Oldman and Dreyfuss are in top form.

• Mar 18, 2017

Was this a brilliant meta script or pretentious tripe. I get what it was trying to do, but it kind of fell flat. And it felt long and a bit tedious and often not funny. Hard to say. I enjoyed the performances. I like the concept. Like they're trapped in the confines of the original Hamlet screenplay. Meta.

• Jan 16, 2016

Unique, witty and entertaining, that is if you like Shakespeare.

Unique, witty and entertaining, that is if you like Shakespeare.

• Robert B Super Reviewer
    Oct 08, 2015

The title gives away nothing, and that is the genius of this film. One feels like anything can happen, anything goes, in this fictive world. But the fact that everyone already knows how it goes, except for Rosencratz and Guildenstern, makes for this spellbinding and elastic tension that draws us through the film. The action conjures up feelings like that of watching a spinning top: it is highly playful, curious, and inventive. Gary Oldman and Tim Roth play their roles with such natural ease, they make this quirky film into a personal favorite. For lovers of wit and whimsy, this is a must see.

• Mar 31, 2015

Uninspired performances abound tied with very bland material to work with.

Uninspired performances abound tied with very bland material to work with.

• Jan 16, 2015

Witty, brilliantly cast and captures the sould of the play. I wish it were available on bluray.

• Jun 29, 2014

I am a HUGE Shakespeare fan, and this is a wonderfully clever take on what 2 of the least important characters in the play Hamlet are doing while they are NOT in the play. When the are in the play, the dialogue and action is exactly how it is written - but, for the other 90% of the movie, they are trying to figure out where they are, how they got there, and why is Hamlet acting like he is. Furthermore, the duo hilariously take on concept like: gravity, chance, physics, and other mathematical and scientific endeavors. The dialogue, banter, and wit are absolutely top notch - and the trio of Tim Roth, Gary Oldman, and Richard Dreyfuss make for a marvelous cast for this play adaptation. I have seen this movie at least 20 times, and it never ceases to engage me. If you don't like Shakespeare or don't know much about the play Hamlet, you probably won't enjoy this like I do. Grade = 8.5/10