Rough Magic - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rough Magic Reviews

April 23, 2015
Pleasant character-driven film with a whimsical, magical element to it that compliments the romance.
DrStrangeblog
March 16, 2012
What an oddball of a movie! Set during the early '60s but plays more like a detective story from the '40s, at least during the first half. Bridget Fonda is not an outstanding actress nor will she win a beauty pageant, but she's always held some inexplicable allure with me - Queen of the Plain Janes in a way. She does look her best as magician's assistant Myra who flees to Mexico with photographic evidence of her fiancee Senator Wyatt accidentally shooting her mentor. On her trail is P.I.-for-hire Ross, played by Russell Crowe still getting his feet wet in Hollywood. There is some great snappy banter between the two and they exude a nice sexual tension, and this section is the best part of the movie.

Then we meet Doc Ansell, amusingly played by Jim Broadbent, who wants to enlist Myra to acquire the secret formula to an elixir with magical properties from a reclusive woman who chants on a mountainside, and things get really goofy. A man turns into a sausage, a woman lays an egg that hatches a spider, a guy instantly drops dead, a dog speaks, people levitate, and a woman coughs up her heart. I have no idea what director Clare Peploe's grand design was for Rough Magic - many of these elements are fun but so bizarre it's hard to discern the function to the form.

This movie has gotten raked over the coals here on Flixster, and there is some justification, but it certainly is more entertaining than most bombs. Some great dialogue and chemistry between the leads buoy the original yet crazy developments; you could do a lot worse on a rainy day than by turning on Rough Magic.
½ December 5, 2011
Even watching this movie in the background, I wasn't all that impressed from what I saw. I'd have to watch it again and pay attention through the entire thing to be sure, but I'm pretty sure my attention span would not last through that particular movie (hence why I was not captivated by it while doing other things). It couldn't hold my attention.
½ August 16, 2011
just ok i expected more but there in lies the problem-expectation only leads to disappointment.
½ June 20, 2011
bunnies...that's all I can say
April 19, 2011
Strange and uneven. Wants to be film noir but does not achieve it. Fonda's pretty and Crowe does a nice New Yawk accent tho.
½ March 15, 2011
"Fat sausage!" Bridget Fonda laid an egg. I find myself kind of liking this movie. Not in that it was a good movie--it wasn't--but it was a higher caliber of badness than you see in bad movies these days. It wasn't through laziness or empty cliches that it was a bad movie; it worked very hard at being a bad movie, and I respect that. The villain was a horrible hammy actor. The sound editing was craaaaazy bad (the fight scene was filled with Batmanesque "Pow!" and "Wham" sounds and the jungle effects reminded me of those ambient sound alarm clocks). The magical realism was mainly used for comedic effect. It was just in awe of how bad it all was. And young Russell Crowe, yum, yum.
½ January 27, 2011
Between a 4/10 and 5/10, this one can be rough going.
½ January 2, 2011
Lets give them some credit for an original idea and some delightful characters. :-)
½ December 30, 2010
½ May 8, 2010
Това ?илм?е ме изненада много п?и??но. С ??а??ие?о на Russell Crowe и Bridget Fonda.
½ November 2, 2009
This was good magic. :) Liked it a lot
August 31, 2008
Little known Russell Crowe movie heavy on magic realism.
July 27, 2008
Yes, I know it's more of a television movie and even a child would not believe in the authenticity of love between the two main characters... but I quite liked the idea of the woman's supernatural powers. The ending was really over the top (Wyatt gay?! well but the whole of his character was an exaggerated caricature), perhaps it was planned?
March 25, 2008
This movie is beautiful - and so much funnier with a glass or two of bone dry white - put me off sausages for life!!!!!
but I really wish Alex was my guardian angel - I wouldn't've taken too much advantage of him -honest!!!!
½ March 11, 2008
Uneven like the title suggests, but worth checking out if you run across it someday. Jim Broadbent's delightful, as is Russell Crowe's snappy patter.
February 15, 2008
An interesting film that seems to be striving for the kind of magical realism of authors like Garcia Marquez and realized successfully in "Like Water for Chocolate" but it misses a bit here as it trys to blend with satire and film noir. An enjoyable film but it suffers, I think, from trying a bit too hard to be too many things.
October 27, 2007
This film haunted my world in a beautiful, esthetic, enchanting way...REALLY LOVED IT
October 7, 2007
Wow, Bridget Fonda can't act.
September 20, 2007
Quirky, surreal and an unusual hollywood movie