Rover Dangerfield - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rover Dangerfield Reviews

November 2, 2016
It's Rodney Dangerfield as an animated dog, which seemed like an interesting idea, but, yep, what more could you expect? A kids movie, which was way too mature for its own good! What a great waste of an opportunity on Rodney's part! Wait! Five directors!? FIVE FREAKIN DIRECTORS, ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!? After renting it recently, it kept my interest, but I didn't laugh once! After watching this, I looked on IMDB, and read about this feature was originally going to be an R rated film! No wonder this had risky stuff! .......who exactly was this movie made for?
September 18, 2015
It's not a great film, neither a high point in Rodney Dangerfield's career, it is still good for kids, but that's all it is! C-
½ March 28, 2015
"Rover Dangerfield" is a pretty standard animated children's movie, with ok to sub-par animation, mostly average jokes (I found about 3 to 4 good laughs) and songs that range from pretty terrible to "so bad it's good". The story isn't particularly creative and there's not much that's memorable about it really. It's harmless but nothing to rush out and get, unless you're a fan of Rodney Dangerfield and for some reason you want to see him play a cartoon dog. (VHS, July 7, 2012)
September 5, 2014
Quality animation, funny moments, quirky story, but who the hell is it made for? The meandering story is too simplistic for older audiences and most of the jokes are crude and would fly over the heads of little ones. Still, there's an undeniable charm about this picture.
½ September 5, 2014
It's nothing we haven't seen 1,000 times before, most recently in superior 1989's All Dogs Go to Heaven. The only difference is this film features a protagonist who you won't mind seeing being brought out back to be put down.
July 14, 2014
Rodney Dangerfield plays a Vegas show dog stuck on a farm. I like Rodney Dangerfield, I think he is a funny man and it's sad to hear what happened to him. But this movie was freaking rubbish with lazy jokes and just unfunny film.
½ June 16, 2014
I guess there are one or two enjoyable RD quotes, but the movie is pretty bad
May 7, 2014
Good Rodney Dangerfield Voice Acting for ages 5+
January 29, 2014
Substandard animated film with most of Rodney's funny jokes replaced with painfully unfunny dog puns. Seems to be intended for children, yet contains a scene where the main character kills a turkey. Do not see this film unless you are torturing yourself.
January 22, 2013
The film shouldn't work for so many reasons... But it does.
January 14, 2013
I loved watching this movie when i was a kid.... Never got tired of it...
December 13, 2012
Great cartoon movie. Very funny. Dangerfield could've been a dog lol if u got kids treat them to this 1 just remember to train them never to do it on a Christmas tree lol
½ November 26, 2012
Rodney Dangerfield is a delightful comedian but 'Rover Dangerfield' is no good.
½ September 16, 2012
I like the animation, not the story.
February 28, 2012
Imagine Rodney Dangerfield in a musical then imagine that movie was animated and he played a dog. As a kid I loved this movie, now the jokes are really crappy, story is just as bad but the animation though is still pretty good for its time. Its purely for kids
½ February 27, 2012
An okay family film that is one big stand-up act for Dangerfield.
February 12, 2012
i liked it as a kid but now i know how wrong it is
½ December 26, 2011
What I really like about this movie is the art, particularly the backgrounds. They are lush and dreamy and you wanna walk around in them. Also the character designs and motion are very good. Definite Ralph Bakshi vibe, but less 'anger' in the strokes, if that makes any sense. The real problem with this movie is that the storytelling is is too bare-bones. There isn't enough character development or conflict. His relationships with the other animals aren't fleshed out enough. This needed another 20-25 minutes. Which makes sense, since it's 78 minutes long. Check it out, though. It's clear Rodney's heart was in it. He produced it, wrote it, and stars in it.
June 12, 2011
Its a good children's movie with a loving story and good acting by Rodney Dangerfield. Its not a film meant for adults but kids should definitively find it enjoyable
February 17, 2011