Roving Mars - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Roving Mars Reviews

August 17, 2014
(First and only viewing - In my mid-twenties)
½ April 26, 2013
Great documentary about our quest to explore Mars. With this we are not just limited to grainy images of the surface taken by the rover, but with some tastefully used CGI sequences. Firstly of the voyage there, then the landing, followed by the surface itself. Everything you need to know about this project is there, clear for me to see
January 9, 2013
Better than Hubble 3D but was expecting more of an ALIEN experience in this movie
August 11, 2012
A nice flashback to the previous 2 roving explorers on Mars. Not the greatest "doc" on the subject, probably relying heavily on being originally realsed in IMAX, but it was still interesting enough to hold the kids interests for 40 minutes and inspire them to want to learn more about Mars.
July 22, 2012
science fiction but without the fiction
½ July 15, 2011
While the film does present some hard facts and some fascinating images, it feels cut down too much to fit in an IMAX short film mold. The film needed another 10 minutes at least of the rovers on Mars finding stuff. I'm very impressed with NASA right now, though, even if the shuttle program is now extinct. May we continue to lead the way to the Red Planet.
February 25, 2011
science fiction but without the fiction
December 21, 2010
Documenting the creation and early journey of the Spirit and Opportunity Mars rovers, the apply named "Roving Mars" is the best documentary or movie concerning Mars ever made. The subtle and beautiful visual and audio design is reminiscent of "For All Mankind", my favorite space documentary.
August 25, 2010
Good representation of the Rovers Spirit and Opportunity. Mad a few years ago. Before Spirit got stuck.
May 22, 2010
A great testament to human ingenuity and genius. This short documentary traces the life of the two rovers - Spirit and Opportunity - as they begin their journey to the red planet. The narrator discusses the risks to the mission and the difficulty in actually sending a probe to Mars. Thanks to some incredible CGI, the lift off and landing of the probes are shown and the first few months of their respective missions are discussed. Some amazing footage but the real heroes are the scientist and engineers that made this happen. Kudos to them for a job well done!
March 27, 2010
Just saw it!?.I do love these IMAX movies?.they are EDITED properly and it?s a real joy to see EDITING like this. This one has music that seems to be identical to Fog of War! It?s good music though.

There?s never a dull moment in this documentary. It?s really fascinating seeing how the rover unfolds itself and moves around the terrain. Plus the elaborate way in which they got it onto the martian surface in the first place!

These films have a way of brightening up your day because they are so positive and exciting. You leave the film feeling good...and that HAS to be a good thing.
October 16, 2009
Its kind of cool in a way, but I wouldn't say its really a subject of interest to me. I think the running time of this movie was appropriate, because if it was longer it would have gotten a bit boring.
August 16, 2009
This is how documentaries should be done. It manages to present magnificence without being boring.
½ June 29, 2009
This is pretty interesting, and a little misleading. I thought we were going to get to see much more ACTUAL footage of mars, but we only see a few pictures and a whole lot of computer generated images of the rovers reaching and exploring Mars. It's still really cool to see that though, and even cooler that it happened considering everything involved in sending an earth born robot on a seven month journey to another world.
½ March 6, 2009
30 min. of sweating, nervous scientists... 10 minutes of nicely done CG/real images of Mars. I love this stuff, but because it's an IMAX flic, it's more like 'Mission to Mars-Lite'.
January 1, 2009
Soaring IMAX documentary about the creation and launch of the Mars Rovers. As the movie says their successful take off from Earth and landing on Mars was like shooting a basketball from Los Angeles and having it land in New York thru the hoop without touching the sides. Truly an epic achievement for the human race. The documentary uses CGI to show us what the Mars Rovers launch would be like, the journey, the landing and their travels on Mars and you would swear you were there yourself. I've seen every IMAX documentary in 2008 and this one is my favorite.
September 28, 2008
paul was a great man. he will be missed
August 18, 2008
this was an amazing documentary...I was amazed at the cgi effects and the labor our amazing engineers at nasa put into this journey. a must see!
August 7, 2008
Imax documentary features are a mixed blessing. On one hand, they feature breath-taking camerawork and fascinating material. But on the other hand, they're always only 40 minutes. It's a shame, because the decades long, incredibly successful double mission to Mars with the rovers Spirit & Opportunity could fill a 10 hour miniseries. This movie is a wonderful but all-too-brief look at the mission. I would recommend this flick to anyone, but at the end you're definitely left wanting more.
July 16, 2008
A documentary that can inspire your imagination and brave. Great one. Applaud to those scientist behind Spirit and Opportunity.