Roxanne - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Roxanne Reviews

April 14, 2014
One of my favorite rom-coms, mainly because it's equal parts romantic and funny.
½ April 3, 2014
As a comedy, it's not very funny, but as a romantic film it's pretty endearing.
½ February 24, 2014
the original Pinocchio
January 21, 2014
Silly and fun. A wonderful romantic comedy.
December 31, 2013
I own this on DVD in a three movie pack along with:
* L.A. Story (1991)
* Mixed Nuts (1994)
December 15, 2013
With this film, Steve Martin became a king of the romantic comedy, not only as a leading man but also as screenwriter. In this film, in fact, he adapts a play that was itself inspired by the Cyrano of Bergerac, where the big nosed leading character is too embarrassed to show his feelings and uses his words to conquer the one he loves. A charming and heart warming romantic setting. The film in fact can be wonderful on an emotional level but is also genuinely funny - there is one scene in particular where he unleashes a joke about his big nose one after the other that has become particularly well known, while the firefighters in the movie recall the slapstick antics of the Keystone Cops.
½ November 26, 2013
One of my favourite Steve Martin comedies.
November 15, 2013
Brilliant acting ( Steve Martin! , Rick Rossovich), very witty, well done, even though story is very simple, yet all the set, characters, dialogs make it a very cool film.
September 10, 2013
Mention Steve Martin, and Roxanne cannot be far behind. Though perhaps not the actor's best work or most famous role (Father of the Bride, The Jerk, and Neal Page from Planes, Trains, and Automobiles may have those markets cornered), his effort here -- and certainly his nose -- represents the actor's most memorable and identifiable feature. Though the movie fades in its final act, Roxanne delivers the goods most of the way through and is well worth watching for the classic Martin performance.
September 4, 2013
Why do I care? I can't think of a reason. All I was impressed by was that Martin adapted Cyrano de Bergerac, much less finished it. By no means attrocious if uninteresting.
July 31, 2013
This one cracks me up. Comedy gold.
½ July 4, 2013
A clever and funny modern take on the story of Cyrano de Bergerac. A great performance by Steve Martin. Just a good old silly/corny romantic comedy from the 80's.
June 5, 2013
With our buddy Max Alexander
½ May 14, 2013
Nice little comedy that resembles a fairy tale, but a modern one at that
April 17, 2013
At the height of his success, Steve Martin took Edmond Rostand's 1897 play Cyrano de Bergerac, and updated it to 80's America, he also personally chose Australian director Fred Schepisi (Barbarosa (1982), A Cry In The Dark (1988) and The Russia House (1990)) to bring it to the screen. It's a very sweet and very funny film, with Martin at his best, and it displays his talents as a screenwriter as well, which he puts to good use here. In the mountain town of Nelson, fire chief C.D. Bales (Martin) is a witty and intelligent man, who is also endowed with a very big nose. He would have it altered, but cannot due to a dangerous allergy to anesthetics, but his mood changes when astronomer Roxanne Kowalski (Daryl Hannah) comes to town to search the skies for a comet. C.D. falls in love with her, but she ends up falling for fireman Chris McConnell (Rick Rossovich), who has just joined C.D.'s team, but Chris also has affections for Roxanne, but is too shy to tell her so, so he get's C.D. to write love letters to Roxanne, in an attempt to win her over, and the plan works, to a point. It's a film which still works now, and it shows how clever Martin is as a writer, it's got a good cast and a memorable scene where C.D. is able to tell 20 big nose jokes as a bet, it has a fantastical quality about it, but it manages to be a sweet and uplifting love story as well.
April 3, 2013
Pinocchio, not! A stupid romance movie, not! A great movie, yes! I just wanted to see it again after its over, never have I felt something like this in a while!
April 2, 2013
I remember watching this when a long time ago. funny
February 24, 2013
I really enjoyed this as a kid. And it made me want to read Cyrano De Bergarac.
½ February 18, 2013
Sweet and very, very funny.
February 16, 2013
classic 80s film,one of steve martin's best even if it is not as zany as the jerk
still so funny