Royal Deceit (Prince of Jutland) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Royal Deceit (Prince of Jutland) Reviews

January 16, 2017
Barking Batman.... literally
April 6, 2015
Prince of Jutland is an okay film. It is about the re-telling of Hamlet based on the original Danish material. Christian Bale and Helen Mirren give good performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. Gabriel Axel did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama.
½ August 3, 2014
Nothing really can get better, if one is looking for cinematic disaster
March 11, 2014
There's nothing wrong with this Danish story. Hard to believe it's an Academy Award winner who has directed. I like Tom Wilkinson and the young Bale. And - no - SHAKESPEARE DID NOT WRITE THIS STORY. He was born 500 years later - at least, and borrowed it from Saxo Grammaticus.
½ August 5, 2013
This is not the best adaptation of Hamlet, but the strength of the cast performances makes an otherwise dull movie rather enjoyable.
May 17, 2013
People often get it backwards, this isn't a retelling of Hamlet. This is the danish story that hamlet is loosely based on. It is a reflection of the simpler viking narrative, not the complex narrative of the Henry Tudor's royal bard William Shackespere.
jjnxn
May 17, 2013
Stolid reworking of Hamlet certainly has an outstanding cast but the director has no idea what to do with them. He has drained the inherent tragedy from the piece and what is left is a hollow exercise in tedium. Not a single one of his players, all experienced Shakespearean actors, is given a chance to let loose and breath some kind of life into this flat enterprise.
November 23, 2012
For a film with such good actors, the acting is pretty lame.
July 26, 2012
Any movie with Christian Bale I want 2 C! I've not seen this movie but I am sure it's good!
½ October 15, 2011
The movie re-tells a well beloved story by going at it by the roots in order to give it a fresh spin...t he wonderful cast of British (and Irish) stars can be applauded for endorsing what must have been a modestly budgeted film..of course it is not Shakespeare, but it sheds new light on the Hamlet play by exploring the legend that inspired the bard to choose it as story material...for fans of history and drama !!!
½ December 2, 2010
A strong cast with great performances and a fascinating setting, but unfortunately the bland made-for-TV visuals, poor production values and pointless voice-over narration rob this film of the build it needed. Also, I'm still waiting to see a film pre-"The Queen" where Helen Mirren keeps her clothes on...not that I'm complaining or anything
½ June 18, 2010
Definitely one of the better adaptations I've seen but, after all, it is still Shakespeare.
½ November 20, 2009
A really interesting look at the story of Hamlet. It is well acted, but the production value is quite low and it looks like a made for T.V. movie. The visual style is not very extravagant and quite basic. It relies on the strong actors to carry the film.
½ October 12, 2009
Another role for Mirren as queen. She and the whole cast did a creditable job and I enjoyed the Viking-age feel of the movie.
October 8, 2009
would give it a try.......
½ February 7, 2009
This is based on the original story of King of Denmark (Hamlet), is intresting to compare the story of Shakespeare to this while watching. The acting is pretty good, especially Ch. Bale. The low budget really shows and is a disadvantage.
November 24, 2008
The only problem I had with it was that they seemed to run out of money, so they spliced some narration and shadow theater into the movie for some of the story. Fantastic cast and acting, especially from Bale, as always.