Rubberface - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rubberface Reviews

½ January 3, 2016
Jim Carrey doesn't believe in vaccinations. He and his movies are idiotic
½ June 19, 2014
This movie was, without overstating, revolutionary! Jim Carrey gives the performance of his lifetime! The comedic content is nothing short of brilliant. I literally laughed my a** off the entire feature. The only way I would consider life any more satisfying after this pelicula is if Jim Carrey would come through with the sequel to Rubberface( the greatest movie of all-time!!!).
February 25, 2014
This short but edgy comedic drama draws on raw emotions of the young and the thoughtful who yearn for something deeper from the everyday mundane savagry of life and gives the deep thinking life-meaning seekers a sense of hope and refuge in a nonsensical world.
April 19, 2012
I would like to see this one.
½ January 1, 2012
Initially released as "Introducing Janet" this less than an hour long movie was apparently made for Canadian TV, but it came off to me as a video about self esteem for schools or something. This film would've most likely disappeared off the face of the Earth if it was not for one of the costars...Jim Carrey. When he hit it big in the 90s, the film was retitled "Rubberface" and marketed as a Jim Carrey comedy like Ace Ventura or the Mask. Really he is the supporting character, but there was hopes of this making a little extra money off his name. Mostly it is a forgettable movie about a depressed girl who is not nearly as unattractive or fat as people imply that she is throughout.
August 18, 2011
I was surprised by the short length of this TV movie, but it was fun to see such a young Jim Carrey, he was pretty funny for his first role in a movie, and he stands out over the rest of the unknown cast. The rest of the movie is really cliche. Overall, it's okay, though.
½ May 19, 2011
Wow this was bad. I am guessing it was an after school special as the jokes were so clean that they were bad! Nothing and I mean nothing made me chuckle in this movie. You get to see Carrey doing some weird impersonations and facial gestures but it is not worth the 48 mins. Whoever played Janet was perhaps one of poorest actresses I have ever seen. If you have to see it because of OCD like me (I must see everything actors I like have been involved in) then go ahead, but you won't like it...that I can guarantee.
May 12, 2011
An attempted cash-in product right after "Ace Ventura" films. This is where Jim Carrey got his film start is this CBC quasi-"After School" type of movie. It is on the borderline on drama and bad one liners, which makes this film filled with very unintentional humor. If it wasn't for Jim's natural talent for his facial expressions and quick wit for a teen, this would've been burned in the tape vault of CBC by 1996. The script is very generic and the acting is lame, but that what makes this soooooo funny.
½ February 2, 2011
This was repackaged as Rubberface, as if it were centered around Jim Carrey. However, it barely allowed him to show his talents. Every other Jim Carrey movie I've seen far surpasses this one.
January 3, 2011
GOTTA SEE: 45 MIns thats ALL I got when I got this DVD I thought I was going to get ripped off... 45 Mins later I then knew I got ripped off I did not only think it... Have fun!
September 8, 2010
It's Jim Carrey's first film so when you find this, it's kinda surprising because you never heard of it and Jim Carrey is pretty big today and you see the date on the film and it just kinda surprises you. You watch it and then wait for Jim to show up and when he does...It's sad because he isn't that funny. He tries to hard to be funny and his co-star...Ummm, Adah Glassbourg...Yeah! I think that's it! She plays a character who has low self-esteem and thinks she is overweight...Watch the film and ask yourself...Was that the standard for being overweight in Canada during the Early 1980's. Anyway, the film is embarrassing but enjoyable because of Jim Carrey! Not good but worth checking out!
½ June 15, 2010
as a young whipper snapper and a fan of jim carrey - i bought this from amazon on vhs many years ago. originally titled introducing... janet, renamed rubberface after jim's rise to fame. probably the worst thing ever. almost unbearable to watch. not recommended for human intake.
September 3, 2009
There's this small independent, barely a feature, film...oh, and by the way it has a small part starring a young Jim Carrey.
July 10, 2009
I understand why this ISN'T Jim Carrey's breakout performance....

D-
June 15, 2009
this is jim carrey's first role in a tv movie wayyyyy back in 1983. i had a lot of trouble tracking this one down, and i'm sure its because its pretty useless as a comedy. i mean, its in good taste and not offensive to anyone, but its just jim carrey when he wasn't funny. if your a carrey completist such as i, check it out, otherwise don't bother.
April 7, 2009
ehh ive never seen this one but the only cool thing i could say about it is that it seems to be based off of true events from Jim Carreys life and struggle for stardom. I love jim carrey but this obviously not one of his bests.
January 8, 2009
All the elements of a good movie are here...however, they are misused.

As usual, Jim Carrey is not very funny.

Best line comes in the beginning: "I GET BUSY WITH MY SONY"

It would be better if it were just this movie about a girl and her mom.
November 18, 2008
good. Jim Carrey was very sexy :D
½ September 15, 2008
Was kinda cute. Good moral.
June 24, 2008
Yes, it was a generic story, but for this type of a movie it was very restrained. The performances resisted being overthetop, and the story stayed simple instead of attempting to be more than it was. Featuring a very young Jim Carrey, who does very well in his supporting role, along with Adah Glassbourg who does decently well too. An unassuming, charming little movie.