Rudo y Cursi - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rudo y Cursi Reviews

December 2, 2015
Cuaron has a good sense of fun and energy to his direction, and the performances are entertaining, but it's so predictable and contrived (I guessed exactly what would happen in the final penalty shot, despite at the same time hoping that it wouldn't happen, because ugh) in the second half that it just started to grate on me after a while.
August 23, 2014
Good movie. Really enjoyed it.
½ July 3, 2014
Really cute soccer movie with quite a few laughs.
½ June 6, 2014
Para mi esta película es un verdadero fiasco, esperaba muchísimo mas de Cuaron, Luna, y también de Bernal.
½ June 1, 2014
Un verdadero fiasco de película.
½ May 22, 2014
Fun but inconsequential.
April 27, 2014
It illustrates very well what really happening in the business of soccer in Mexico. Funny at times but I did not like the movie as a whole.
½ April 14, 2014
Very funny film. The narrator angle works well in this one
January 4, 2014
Es hasta tonto hacer un comedia sobre futbol pero no mostrarlos nunca jugando...ambos actúan bien, y la comedia tiene sus momentos, pero en otros se pierde entre un drama y la historia de superación. Se puede ver.
½ October 25, 2013
Awesome movie but only for 3D glasses
September 23, 2013
A little less focused than it should have been (is it a comedy? a drama? a satire?) but Gael Garcia Bernal and Diego Luna bring both humor and insight nonetheless.
August 17, 2013
GREAT , FUNNY, FANTASTIC ACTORS.....
½ July 24, 2013
It's shit aimed at the lowest common denominator. Avoid at all costs.
½ March 28, 2013
Quite mindless, but still of much fun.
March 7, 2013
Funny, sweet, too sweet to the point that I want to stop in the middle because I know that something bad is about to happen. But couldn't.
February 10, 2013
An enjoyable film that was sporadically hilarious. Both lead actors appear in good form, and again work well along side one another. The film lost its way at times, and once or twice I was a little bored by their high pitched antics, but all in all I was glad to have seen it. The climactic scene is probably predictable to most but oddly enough I still found it tense and suspenseful. This is down to some clever editing and taut direction. Bueno.
½ January 26, 2013
Funny foreign language comedy about two brothers whose sibling rivalry stretches into their budding soccer careers. Rudo is a hot-tempered goalie with a family to take care of and also a gambling problem. Cursi is the newest soccer sensation whose true passion is to be a singer, although he isn't that good. I liked the characters and the soccer action, whenever they *did* decide to show it onscreen that is. It's funny you never saw the goals Cursi makes. The plot is a little implausible. Their rise to fame and riches is way too easy and fast, for one thing. Anyways, I think I like Bernal and Luna together. They're a great team.
December 16, 2012
best damned sports movie, bought DVD
½ October 11, 2012
Movie about the relationship of two brothers that work in a banana plantation in Mexico. By chance they are discovered by a football scout and they go to live in the capital where they start to play for two different teams. Both personalities clash and rivalry surfaces despite coming from the same background. Beto is an irritable married man, a gambler, a rough goalkeeper full of anger that gains him the alias of "Rudo" (rough). Tato is single, a striker that dreams of becoming a famous singer, his alias is Cursi (Corny). As Beto gets deeper and deeper into gambling debts and drugs, Tato loses his football "mojo" when he starts dating a famous model known for her many boyfriends. Their paths criss cross constantly but their destinies are to be resolved in an important football match at the end of the movie.
This is an original comedy, full of contrasts and sparkly dialogues. These men stories are well interwoven and they are funny but without losing likeliness. There is a certain degree of tragedy here of doomed fate if you want (compulsive gambling, infidelity, debt, drug trafficking...), but it is dealt with such a matter of fact approach that seems perfectly natural and ordinary. It seems that the film is giving us a good dose of realism but cleverly mixed with twisted situations and hilarious scenes. In a way this is a humorous portrait of the Mexican poor.