Rudolph and Frosty: Christmas in July Reviews

• Jan 17, 2018

Rankin and Bass are nutjobs. This thing is weirder than Eraserhead and more convoluted than the Matrix trilogy.

• Dann M Super Reviewer
    Oct 17, 2017

Rankin/Bass dip into the well once more with the ultimate Christmas team-up, Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July. To save the Circus By the Sea Rudolph and Frosty team-up for a special 4th of July performance, but little do they know they are being manipulated by King Winterbolt who has awakened from his long slumber and is trying to ruin Santa Claus. Contrived doesn't even begin to describe the plot, and the songs are bad; they have no charm and aren't catchy. There's even some retconning of Frosty and Santa Claus' backstories. Still, there are some fun characters and it's a treat to see Rudolph and Frosty together. Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July has its moments, but overall it's a disappointing effort that's kind of lacking the spirit of the season (either one of them).

• Dec 05, 2016

This Christmas classic is ok!

This Christmas classic is ok!

• Dec 17, 2015

This was one of the top 10 worst movies I have ever seen. The song ballads are awful primarily because of no chorus and the singing usually sounds terrible. The plot is stupid and in a way jacked up. The winter villain guy is a colossal douche bag who sets up two of the worlds most famous Christmas characters I mean seriously dude is ruthless. Then to make the movie worse all of the atrocious conniving that makes 95 percent of the plot is e

• Dec 15, 2015

Proof that Rankin/Bass needed to stay closer to their short (teleplay) format (the features were never very good). This one's, literally, a half hour script stretched into an HOUR AND A HALF (!!!) feature (???) Now, I grew up on Rankin/Bass specials, LOVE many Rankin/Bass specials (there are some dogs, but ... ), and even at least LIKE a number of others. However, this one uses songs (that have NOTHING to do with the plot) to slow down the little action that's available onscreen at the time. I honor this one as the most plodding animation of Rankin and Bass' careers.

• Dec 23, 2014

The top three Christmas classic figures from Rankin/Bass Productions - Rudolph, Frosty and Santa Claus - were put together into a nice, fun Holiday treat with their heart we know and enjoy. They were given more depth through short-length numbers under the form of expressing their hearts. To make it more pleasantly fun, their voice actors and few co-stars returned so the story would remain faithful to their past specials that were unintentionally led to a gathering, fitting crossover. Although, the faithfulness was only on the heart not accurate details that were seen in the specials; and Frosty the Snowman was given a transformation from cell animation to stop motion with the most amount of inaccurate details to the design while Rudolph has the least. Each of their original specials shows Christmassy, while their sequels prior to this crossover explores during the winter season with a small sense of Christmas spirits being carried with a presumption that Christmas was around the corner or it'd went by sometime prior. (This is mostly a reference to the Frosty sequels while both "Rudolph's Shiny New Year" and "A Year Without a Santa Claus" shows clear evidence on their time table.) There was a smaller amount of Christmas spirit being carried through the stop-motion treat and characters and some classical Christmassy numbers. However, those ingredients to pure faithfulness weren't a bother when it was about how meaningful it was through the well-written writing despite the dark side that was used for the film's direction. In the past specials, the antagonists' part of each story were set as obstacles/distractions for the hero from reaching their purpose. That side was only minimal in each specials so the majority of the special focus on the main story before the two sides clash and meet (this probably excludes "The Little Drummer Boy"). The dark side of this film took half of the story with a nasty-natured, unfitted presence. Taking that half is the evil forces targeting the magic of Rudolph and Frosty - our favorite Holiday classic characters we've grown up watching. This side posed as detours and guides to the film's directions like the detours would create spikes and back to the flat line that represents the direction going on. "Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July" combined their original's running times into a bigger treat that captures most of the faithfulness that made their specials special, but not at the exact same level of enjoyment. Although, it's still a holiday treat to enjoy with heart and the goodness of a stop motion picture from the Rankin/Bass Productions. Also, this special was the final appearance of these characters with their original voice actors and personality before being reintroduced for another generation. But there's an error to that point: these timeless Christmas classics are must-sees for all generations so they can be shared throughout time. (B) (Full review coming soon)

• Nov 23, 2013

A solid holiday outing.

A solid holiday outing.

• Dec 06, 2012

I can't believe I've never seen this before now! I also can't believe how inferior it is to the other Rankin Bass Christmas specials. The characters are one-dimensional, the plot is convoluted and contrived, and the villain can't even make up his own evil plot without consulting his talking cave and magic snowball, who seem to have all the good evil ideas. The main fun thing is seeing characters from all of the other shows turning up all in one movie... but the fun just about ends right there. I do have to admit, though... the sleigh pulled by rein-snakes is AWESOME.

• Dec 14, 2010

Man this movie was boring! No wonder I've never seen it played on t.v. My kids were even bored with it.

• Dec 06, 2010

Bridges the Rankin/Bass classics.

Bridges the Rankin/Bass classics.