Rudolph's Shiny New Year - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rudolph's Shiny New Year Reviews

½ August 27, 2017
I think "Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer" is classic television. This sequel made over a decade later is ... not classic. It's fine. I think my main issue with it is that while the original was grounded in shared Christmas mythology, this one is pretty much just a mish-mash of made up stuff. An evil buzzard steals Baby New Year, so Father Time sends Rudolph to the Archipelago of Last Year, which are ... time travel islands. Rudolph teams up with Benjamin Franklin, a caveman and a robot clock to ... really, who cares? Father Time is voiced by Red Skelton, and they made him look too much like him. I found it weird and disconcerting.

Useless trivia moment:

I saw this in 1976 when it first aired, and it was the first time I had ever heard the word "archipelago".
½ January 1, 2017
Rudolph saves the day once again in the all new adventure Rudolph's Shiny New Year. When the Baby New Year, Happy, goes missing Father Time turns to Rudolph for help. Red Skelton voices Father Time and sings several of the song (which are quite lighthearted and fun). And the animators create a number of interesting characters that play on the time theme (Eon, Big Ben, General Ticker). However the storytelling is rather poor, and seems to be full of plot holes and contrivances. Still, overall Rudolph's Shiny New year is an incredibly entertaining film.
½ December 29, 2016
161229: I imagine someone involved in the creation of The Year Without a Santa Claus (1974) thought this was a good idea, a follow-up of sorts. Other than some neat characters including Aeon the Terrible, One Million, Sir 1023 and Humpty Dumpty, I don't imagine this film has ever caught on. I don't imagine it ever will hence its appearance as a bonus feature on DVDs. Even throwing in Santa Claus and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer didn't pull it through. My last viewing?
½ December 23, 2015
-IGNORE THIS "OUT OF FIVE" RATING
1.5/4
A dreary animated feature if there ever was one. Terminally weird, semi-sequel to RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER has infamous reindeer given incredible (and very un-credible) task of literally saving time by finding new year toddler! Some pleasant songs cannot redeem a bizarre, murky, even plodding story. It even rips off the characters in THE WIZARD OF OZ(!) Lazy animation and bad acting don't help. What were they thinking?
December 7, 2015
I honestly love this one as well and watch every year
January 5, 2015
It was a really interesting, really fast-paced and really entertaining animated Rankin-Bass TV special. It had really well done animation, very good voice cast, great characters, really good songs, really cool visuals, great adventure and a really interesting story. I haven't seen this TV special in a very long time. This is a very nice sequel to "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. I really recommend this TV special to both kids and adults.
December 5, 2014
NOT a theatrical short.
December 5, 2014
First Christmas and now New Year's, Rudolph is a true hero!
½ July 29, 2014
(First and only viewing - 12/13/2010)
December 4, 2013
What a charming idea, time doesn't pass, it retires to an island that you can revisit whenever you want to turn back time.
September 3, 2013
At best, this special is too weird to work; at worst, it is stupid beyond belief.
½ December 30, 2012
Similar production value to the original. The story is silly and the dialogue is worse. Some of the songs are clever. Might be ok for little kids.
½ December 30, 2012
Classic ;) Have a happy, have a happy, have a hap hap happy new year!
August 14, 2012
not bad at all. Rudolph is my favorite christmas cartoon, so you know I had to see this. love the islands of lost years, and then there is morey amsterdam whom I always loved in the dick van dyke show.
½ January 14, 2012
Really odd I had to turn it off because it was creeping me out.
Voice acting:B
Plot:C-
Entertainment value:F
½ December 23, 2011
The exact opposite of awesome.
½ May 21, 2011
This is good but didn't really match the real Rudolph. B
½ December 28, 2010
It's still not as good as the first but it's my favorite New Year's movie.
½ December 24, 2010
Interesting story and follow-up to the original Rudolph. It had some depth in the storyline to really carry it through.
½ December 15, 2010
Overall, I just thought this was weird. So I give it points for that, but not much else.