Run Lola Run - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Run Lola Run Reviews

March 2, 2016
It's conclusion feels anti-climatic but I loved its style, energy and quirkiness.
February 28, 2016
Being a critically acclaimed German action thriller with an unconventional structure, Run Lola Run sounded like it offered a combination of unconventional storytelling and different culture.

Outside of films relating to Germany's involvement in the two world wars, I can't say that I have had much of an experience with German cinema. It's interesting to see a film like Run Lola Run because it is not heavily indebted to cultural values but is simply a German production attempting to be a stylish thriller. There is no denying that it succeeds at this.
Run Lola Run immediately kicks off at an incredibly fast pace. Establishing the context of the entire story over the means of a single conversation, Run Lola Run sets up a simple story which paves the way for an alternative style of storytelling in which the viewer experiences very much the same story three times with key differences in small plot points upon each episode. The gimmick of the unconventional narrative structure in Run Lola Run is the gimmick that supports Run Lola Run's lasting value amid the overall simplicity of its main narrative. The concept in Run Lola Run revolves around just how much in life can change on the basis of the most insignificant occurrences. Protagonist Lola has 20 minutes to reach her boyfriend and ensure he has the appropriate finances to save his life, and each run is slightly different based on the experience she has with a tenant in her apartment block at the beginning of her run. This theme isn't explored through the topic of discussion, it is the entire staple of the narrative drive and is explored further through the many characters Lola encounters in her run which is revealed through the momentary flash of several snapshots before returning to Lola's path. The entire concept of the three-episode structure of the same story offers a brilliant twist on a smile story which paves the way for an exploration of style.
There isn't much substance in terms of character development or genuine dramatic depth for the majority of the film, but the manic pace of the experience helps viewers to keep distracted from this all. The soundtrack to Run Lola Run is a strong factor influencing its ability to consistently maintain atmosphere as the fast-paced beat remains steadily consistent over the course of the faster scenes of the film, pulling back to be subtler when the feature slows down to emphasize character drama. The entire film is a massive rush, and is very atmospheric in capturing this which manages to keep viewers deeply ingrained in the exhilaration and beauty of the experience. And with only 81 minutes of running time, the film definitely does not overstay its welcome.
Visually, Run Lola Run has a very distinctive grace to it. Coming out during the era of the cinema du look movement in France, Run Lola Run seems to have the same sort of colour scheme popularized by that style of filmmaking. There is a light tint of white in everything which brightens up the experience and almost adds a sense of surrealism to the experience, reinforcing the zany nature of the story structure. There is also strong brilliance in the cinematography because it proves to keep up with Franka Potente's fast movements throughout all the scenery with a combination of extended shots and quick editing. As a result, Franka Potente is truly challenged to push her maximum athleticism into the part and it is captured with many smooth-gliding tracking shots and other techniques. Amid all this, the German scenery of Run Lola Run remains gorgeous and provides an enticing backdrop to the journey.
Also, the way certain shots of Run Lola Run are edited to cut frames out works a lot better than in Hollywood productions. Rather than overdoing the gimmick to speed things up beyond a state of visual comprehension, Run Lola Run mediates this technique so that it is only used sparingly. As a result, the brief bursts of speed brought on by this editing merely reinforce the exhilaration of Run Lola Run. Though I wouldn't exactly call it an action film, Run Lola Run's extended sequences of Lola's journey on foot are captured with such tenacious energy that it perfectly mirrors the frantic speed of the feature.
Although characterization takes a back seat to style in Run Lola Run, the film is not bereft of character. Thanks to the power of Franka Potente's leading performance in the titular role, Run Lola Run carries a strong protagonist. Most of the film challenges her to prove her physical power in running long distances and maintaining a state of tension the entire time which she proves easily capable of. But between all the extended periods of sprinting are momentary glimpes of her character's insecurities and vulnerabilities. Franka Potente manages to find a real character in her role and captures some beautiful interactions with Moritz Bleibtreu. The entire reason Lola is running is for the love of her boyfriend Manni, and within the transition scenes between narrative episodes she has brief moments to convey the kind of connection the two share. They are very restrained in tension and focused simply on putting as much heart into their words as they can, and it creates some really wonderful character moments. Moritz Bleibtreu delivers an intense supporting effort, but with the limitations on his screen time there is only so much of an impact that he can make. The character potential of the narrative is all reliant on Franka Potente who easily delivers. Franka Potente has the appearance of a comic book character due to the rich colour of her attire and particularly her red hair which makes her easily a memorable character, but it's the physical and emotional ambition of her dedication that truly propels her to stardom.

Run Lola Run may offer a simple story, but the innovation lies all in the brilliance of its narrative structure, themes and fast pace while Tom Tykwer's brilliant eye for imagery provides a spectacle for the talents of Franka Potente.
February 24, 2016
I want to see this badly badly
February 22, 2016
OLTRE DI UN CAPOLAVORO , E' FANTASTICO
½ January 25, 2016
It is a good artsy type movie and I would have liked it much more if I hadn't seen better renditions of time fate manipulation movies like "Edge of Tomorrow" or the "Butterfly Effect".
January 18, 2016
"HEART-POUNDING | MESMERIZING | PULSATING | THRILL-RIDE" (95-out-of-100)
December 26, 2015
Nice music, pretty girl, good dynamics. Otherwise it's a romantic/gangster copy of the "Groundhog Day" (1993).
December 5, 2015
Terrific fun - from the opening credits itself it is clear that this is a hugely inventive film, and it continues to be so till the end without being boring for so much as an instant.
December 4, 2015
Run Lola Run truly is an authentic movie. It has absolutely amazing storytelling which is so creative and unique, it wonderfully executes a simple premise with an original approach, but it is the best in its directing, acting and especially editing as it is so beautifully fast paced and just riveting and always fascinating to follow. It has its flaws mainly in its character development which should have been better, the emotional resonance which should have been bigger and the score which is annoying, but it is above all an authentic take on the thriller genre with a style to spare and it is one of the most unique movies of the nineties.
November 20, 2015
The perfect indie action thriller for the frenzied ADHD Generation.
Kaleidoscopic visuals punch you in the eyes, and the percolating story wraps around and spins you into a tizzy by keeping you guessing "what happens next?"
A rollercoaster ride for the mind with each twist and turn, full of creative shocks, all in under 90 minutes.
Watch it - be in Awe..
5 enthralling jaw-drops of 5
½ November 10, 2015
Love this movie. The pace of this film can't even be classified as being 'hyper-realistic.' Tom Tykwer is the director and he presents quite a few interesting ideas throughout the film. The 'fast-forward-still-frame-timeline,' (For those who have seen the film) is a very unique take on the ol' 'Butterfly Effect' theory. This film has a relatively light feel to it, though the subject matter is of a more serious nature. It will never lose your attention provided you don't mind subtitles.
½ October 16, 2015
Lola runs fast throughout the movie, leaving behind her enough concentration of adrenaline to make you realize what a good thriller looks like!
October 3, 2015
An hour long film that is so thrilling to watch you won't feel its relatively short length. You just can't possibly feel bored while watching it.
September 23, 2015
10/10 !!!!!!!!!!! ??????????????
September 3, 2015
9/3/2015: Considering the high marks this film had, I was very disappointed. The same story told with three endings based on the possible choices the main character had. The best thing was the fact that it was a reasonably short film.
August 31, 2015
A film of nonstop motion and visual invention.
½ August 29, 2015
A Philosophical Treatise on How You're Living A Lie

As John Locke once said, "The only fence against the world is a thorough knowledge of it." I am here to provide you with another post in your fence. Up to this point your whole life has been a lie. Mull over that a little bit. Up until you decided to read this work you were completely unaware that everything you had done until now had been fake and a perfidy. You are now free, and I feel not the least embarrassed to say "You're Welcome!" And no, this is not some Fight Club-esque bullshit this is the real, unadulterated truth, the kind that can be mainlined and lived off of for the rest of your life.
You see, it all started when I watched Tom Tykwer's seminal 1998 film Run Lola Run for the second time. I had watched it back in my uneducated darkness days when I was still a sheeple muddling through my undergrad days in a daze of frankly embarrassing unintellectual sump. I was so drowned in this troglodytic much that I was blind to the truth that was presented to me. I can only strive to make sure that this does not happen to anyone else.
The second time I viewed Run Lola Run, or should I say The Truth Incarnate, I had cleared enough of the blinding pseudo-reality from my eyes to allow my now enlightened self to be enwrapped by its chrysalis and emerge a full formed Monarch butterfly king, of all it sees and understanding of its reality. I had become aware of the one guiding truth that exists in this universe, Franka Potente's is playing the same character in this as she is in The Bourne Identity. It is only once you realize this for yourself, can you realize exactly what has been holding you back your entire life. It cannot be explained for you must realize it yourself. Needless to say your life will have forever been changed and renewed. Please only respond to me once you have seen the light.
August 23, 2015
Fantastic from start to finish. And back again.
August 14, 2015
Great movie with excellent timing!!!!
July 29, 2015
Run Lola Run is special in that it has avery unconventional way of storytelling. Yes, it has flashbacks, something many movies contain, but it is uniquely done. The movie is made up of three scenes. Each scene playing backwards, which determines different outcomes. In one scene, a character might die or live in the other. For all its worth, this isn't a bad film, but I didn't really enjoy it. Its greatest strength is its editing, action sequences, and style of story telling. However, I found the actual plot to be bland and boring. The dialogue was also weak and tedious.