Run Lola Run - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Run Lola Run Reviews

½ July 16, 2015
Awesome movie. Great action, a really original and weird plot, and a really catchy soundtrack. Go watch it.
July 11, 2015
mix of trainspotting and groundhog day
July 4, 2015
Amazingly structured independent action film that flies along at a dizzying pace with so much potential and so many consequences. Should have seen this one long ago!
June 13, 2015
I love simple films, sometimes the best concepts are so straight forward and relatable that the entire film can become so over powering. I also love art house movies, especially euro cinema, its daring, full on, fresh, exciting. Although Run Lola Run has all of these traits, it suffers the biggest flaw a film could, what was the fuckin point? Lola gets a phone call from her hysterical boyfriend, explaining how a drug exchange for a gang leader, went right close to perfect, until he managed to lose the money, thus leaving Lola 20 minutes in which to make her way to him, hopefully sorting the problem out on route. No i'll try not to spoil it for those of you who have yet to see it but the films main problems are its highly predictable, its visually inconsistant and morally has no idea what it wants to achieve. There are a bunch of small characters who the film feels the need to shoe horn in, just to show how different scenarios could alter their lives, okay, quirky but these characters are of no substance or interest and most of them have very little to do with the outcome of the film. Which is the biggest let down of any film, I've seen in quite some time. At first I was enjoying its quirky, quick cut, mixed approach, its flashy and fast paced, it contextually makes sense, however once Lola actually starts running, it becomes bogged down with far too much needless dialogue and moments that need not exist. There are messages dotted about here and there, about the couples life style and what would they do without each other but nothing every becomes of it, this is mainly down to the way in which the film decides to structure itself. It actually almost had me clapping half an hour in as i thought that the film makers may actually have the balls to completely do something so special new and completely unseen. But they pussy out, leaving you watching the same events, unfold time after time, only marginally different from the time before. It becomes a choir to watch and eventually turns completely stupid, defying all laws of physics and actual chance. The films like a preacher with no heart and soul. luckily the movie has at times a really lovely and polished look to it, the camera work is at times extremely well crafted and with the bouncing score over the top, it gives the film a pulse and a life. Then there are moments when either a completely different camera or grade is used for 1 scene, fine does it add anything? No, meaning that it doesnt asthetically look solid all the way through. I would have much rather had 1 of the first 2 insane options, fleshed out a bit more and dealt with a bit more care than the outcome we get. This film feels highly over rated, hugely dissapointing and hilarious, when it shouldnt be. Despite its major flaws, the film manages to throw enough at the viewer to keep them present and aware for a run time of 1 hour and 20 minutes but by the end you really would have rather it been a short film, tighter, more honed in and wonderfully crafted, than over bloated and flat.
½ June 4, 2015
face paced layered deutchland cake.
½ May 31, 2015
Yay finally a movie that I can label as exciting as a roller coaster ride.
Freaking brilliant! Its a total jam packed movie with an equal amount of substance and style
May 23, 2015
You can't really rate this movie. Different is what it is, but different is good in this case.
May 21, 2015
The adrenaline rush and the soundtrack that associated with it makes Run Lola Run a winner!
May 18, 2015
Just a fun run through a series of 'what ifs' in this fine German thriller.
May 16, 2015
I personally didn't know the plot device used in Run Lola Run so if the story construction will be a spoiler to you, then I guess beware because I have to talk about it. I tend to really enjoy movies that explore the whole butterfly effect idea, and this movie does it by showing the same events with only slight changes and then presents how dramatically that affects the path of the characters' lives. What's really interesting is they also show quick flashes of how the different interactions Lola has with bystanders also changes their lives. One of my big complaints, though, is that there isn't any consistency to who gets these flash-forwards on each run through. I generally prefer (in films of this style) for everything to be the same except for subtle differences, however in this film there are people that Lola doesn't even come in contact with from one time to the next. I also am a bit confused, because I'm not sure whether Lola is aware that she is reliving the 20 minutes or not. It seems there are some snippets of information she is carrying over from one time to the next, but it's just not clear. I guess I would simply like a more defined set of rules to the strange supernatural way the story is being told.

The acting is not at all consistent in Run Lola Run. Some actors are really great, and impress me with an emotionally nuanced performance, while others are flat and feel like they shouldn't even be acting in commercials. One example would be Franka Potente, because she has certain moments that impact me emotionally, and then later she's entirely too whiny in tone and lacks the confidence that I think they're trying to present in her character. However, despite the flaws I do find the story of the film engaging. I like that they present the entire thing in 3 distinct arcs, and some of the creative visuals they utilize are excellent. It's particularly interesting that each time they reset we are presented with a poorly drawn cartoon of the beginning of the run. I also like some of the split-screen techniques that increase the tension as time is quickly ticking away. Overall, the style of Run Lola Run kind of trumps the story-telling of the movie. I think they have a kernel of a great idea, but it never fully forms into a great film. It almost feels like there should be a director's cut somewhere that I'd enjoy more. A cut of the film which connects some of the side characters' stories we see in the first run-through but are left without on round 2 or 3. As it stands I'd watch Run Lola Run again, but it's not one that I feel warrants a recommend from me.
May 11, 2015
On the face of it, it's a very simple premise: one woman called Lola must find 100,000 deutschmarks in 20 minutes to save the life of her drug-dealing boyfriend who's left that sum on the subway and whose boss is about to rock up to collect. Combining a lo-fi aesthetic with Hollywood-worthy thrills, Twyker created an extended short, repeated three times as Lola tries again and again to get it right. It's as fast-paced as you'd expect, full of likable characters, and perfectly balances arthouse sensibilities with multiplex action to create a film that's truly exceptional, and all the more so considering the small-scale organization that created it. If Run Lola Run is remembered for anything, it should be for the innovative people who could wring the best from a simple story and a tiny budget
May 7, 2015
Great independent movie by Tom Tykwer in which the whole 2 hour movie takes place in 20 min. For sure worth watching.
½ May 6, 2015
Run Lola Run was an indie splash when it hit the scene back in 1999, but for all intents and purposes, it's a movie that no one really seems to be talking about anymore. It's unique film, that's for sure, but one that certainly requires some patience on the audience's part in order to get through it all. It's an excellent film that holds up very well today.
½ April 9, 2015
The Perfect movie for the MTV generation. Fast paced, characters doing interesting things, quick cuts and a plot that makes sense.
March 30, 2015
Cute German film that points out how different the future can turn out with just a few small variant factors switched. It's one of those movies in which you can see more every time you look.
February 16, 2015
A cinematic experience unlike any other. Watch it in German with English subtitles. The English dub isn't as satisfying.
½ February 10, 2015
A very stylistic movie which had enough substance to keep me interested. The beginning of this movie felt so cool from the camera shots, the fast jump-cut editing and the kick-ass soundtrack. It is not like your typical mainstream film. If you feel like you need a break from the typical three-act structure movie, give this one a watch. It's not for everyone but you should at least give it a try.
January 31, 2015
Run Lola Run is quite an adrenalin shot, with its pumping soundtrack and fast pace, and it manages to explore philosophical mysteries without being overlong or boring.
½ January 30, 2015
Lola is about to have quite a day. Her boyfriend calls her to let her know that he has misplaced 100,000 dollars and if he does not acquire this amount in 20 minutes he will be killed. Lola promises she will find away, meaning she its a race against to clock. Run Lola Run is a stylish and interesting action movie that is well directed. Different scenarios play out, all of which involve the sexy and red haired Lola running.
January 28, 2015
I had to watch Run Lola Run for school. I probably wouldn't have sought it out otherwise. But as it stands, I'm happy I gave this movie a watch. It's as unique a film as you will ever see.

This uniqueness is hard to fully rationalize. The film is less than 80 minutes long. The plot plays like the climax of a full movie, repeated three times. The editing falls into montage mode every few minutes. There is an animation aspect that I still can't explain. It feels like Tom Tykwer, the director, learned a bunch of filmmaking techniques, then stuffed them all into the same movie. But is that really a bad thing? It can be distracting, and it can be unnecessary, but Run Lola Run benefits from all its eccentricities. Without them, there isn't much left.

What the movie does right is simple, it keeps a ridiculously high level of kinetic energy throughout. The film never stops! It barely takes a moment of a breather before launching into another frantic scene. And yet, the narrative never gets exhausting, thanks to the brevity of the run-time. There's no denying that the story can be repetitive (it's the same scenario, played out three different ways), but the movie is succinct enough to withstand these flaws.

The film is bolstered by two dependable performances. Franka Potente (Marie from the Bourne trilogy) stars as Lola. A lot of the performance is relegated to sprinting through the streets of Berlin, but Potente proves herself as a solid lead. Moritz Bleibtreu has the main supporting role as Manni, Lola's boyfriend. He provides the finest acting in the movie.

Run Lola Run is a neat concept film. It keeps things moving at a brisk enough pace to prevent any glaring flaws. But the story lacks substance and the characters lack development. At the end of the day, you won't remember the film two days after you see it, but it is certainly not a movie you will regret allotting an hour and twenty minutes of your time.

"Well, we all have our bad days." 6.5/10