Run Lola Run - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Run Lola Run Reviews

May 21, 2015
The adrenaline rush and the soundtrack that associated with it makes Run Lola Run a winner!
May 18, 2015
Just a fun run through a series of 'what ifs' in this fine German thriller.
May 16, 2015
I personally didn't know the plot device used in Run Lola Run so if the story construction will be a spoiler to you, then I guess beware because I have to talk about it. I tend to really enjoy movies that explore the whole butterfly effect idea, and this movie does it by showing the same events with only slight changes and then presents how dramatically that affects the path of the characters' lives. What's really interesting is they also show quick flashes of how the different interactions Lola has with bystanders also changes their lives. One of my big complaints, though, is that there isn't any consistency to who gets these flash-forwards on each run through. I generally prefer (in films of this style) for everything to be the same except for subtle differences, however in this film there are people that Lola doesn't even come in contact with from one time to the next. I also am a bit confused, because I'm not sure whether Lola is aware that she is reliving the 20 minutes or not. It seems there are some snippets of information she is carrying over from one time to the next, but it's just not clear. I guess I would simply like a more defined set of rules to the strange supernatural way the story is being told.

The acting is not at all consistent in Run Lola Run. Some actors are really great, and impress me with an emotionally nuanced performance, while others are flat and feel like they shouldn't even be acting in commercials. One example would be Franka Potente, because she has certain moments that impact me emotionally, and then later she's entirely too whiny in tone and lacks the confidence that I think they're trying to present in her character. However, despite the flaws I do find the story of the film engaging. I like that they present the entire thing in 3 distinct arcs, and some of the creative visuals they utilize are excellent. It's particularly interesting that each time they reset we are presented with a poorly drawn cartoon of the beginning of the run. I also like some of the split-screen techniques that increase the tension as time is quickly ticking away. Overall, the style of Run Lola Run kind of trumps the story-telling of the movie. I think they have a kernel of a great idea, but it never fully forms into a great film. It almost feels like there should be a director's cut somewhere that I'd enjoy more. A cut of the film which connects some of the side characters' stories we see in the first run-through but are left without on round 2 or 3. As it stands I'd watch Run Lola Run again, but it's not one that I feel warrants a recommend from me.
May 11, 2015
On the face of it, it's a very simple premise: one woman called Lola must find 100,000 deutschmarks in 20 minutes to save the life of her drug-dealing boyfriend who's left that sum on the subway and whose boss is about to rock up to collect. Combining a lo-fi aesthetic with Hollywood-worthy thrills, Twyker created an extended short, repeated three times as Lola tries again and again to get it right. It's as fast-paced as you'd expect, full of likable characters, and perfectly balances arthouse sensibilities with multiplex action to create a film that's truly exceptional, and all the more so considering the small-scale organization that created it. If Run Lola Run is remembered for anything, it should be for the innovative people who could wring the best from a simple story and a tiny budget
May 7, 2015
Great independent movie by Tom Tykwer in which the whole 2 hour movie takes place in 20 min. For sure worth watching.
½ May 6, 2015
Run Lola Run was an indie splash when it hit the scene back in 1999, but for all intents and purposes, it's a movie that no one really seems to be talking about anymore. It's unique film, that's for sure, but one that certainly requires some patience on the audience's part in order to get through it all. It's an excellent film that holds up very well today.
½ April 9, 2015
The Perfect movie for the MTV generation. Fast paced, characters doing interesting things, quick cuts and a plot that makes sense.
March 30, 2015
Cute German film that points out how different the future can turn out with just a few small variant factors switched. It's one of those movies in which you can see more every time you look.
February 16, 2015
A cinematic experience unlike any other. Watch it in German with English subtitles. The English dub isn't as satisfying.
½ February 10, 2015
A very stylistic movie which had enough substance to keep me interested. The beginning of this movie felt so cool from the camera shots, the fast jump-cut editing and the kick-ass soundtrack. It is not like your typical mainstream film. If you feel like you need a break from the typical three-act structure movie, give this one a watch. It's not for everyone but you should at least give it a try.
January 31, 2015
Run Lola Run is quite an adrenalin shot, with its pumping soundtrack and fast pace, and it manages to explore philosophical mysteries without being overlong or boring.
½ January 30, 2015
Lola is about to have quite a day. Her boyfriend calls her to let her know that he has misplaced 100,000 dollars and if he does not acquire this amount in 20 minutes he will be killed. Lola promises she will find away, meaning she its a race against to clock. Run Lola Run is a stylish and interesting action movie that is well directed. Different scenarios play out, all of which involve the sexy and red haired Lola running.
January 28, 2015
I had to watch Run Lola Run for school. I probably wouldn't have sought it out otherwise. But as it stands, I'm happy I gave this movie a watch. It's as unique a film as you will ever see.

This uniqueness is hard to fully rationalize. The film is less than 80 minutes long. The plot plays like the climax of a full movie, repeated three times. The editing falls into montage mode every few minutes. There is an animation aspect that I still can't explain. It feels like Tom Tykwer, the director, learned a bunch of filmmaking techniques, then stuffed them all into the same movie. But is that really a bad thing? It can be distracting, and it can be unnecessary, but Run Lola Run benefits from all its eccentricities. Without them, there isn't much left.

What the movie does right is simple, it keeps a ridiculously high level of kinetic energy throughout. The film never stops! It barely takes a moment of a breather before launching into another frantic scene. And yet, the narrative never gets exhausting, thanks to the brevity of the run-time. There's no denying that the story can be repetitive (it's the same scenario, played out three different ways), but the movie is succinct enough to withstand these flaws.

The film is bolstered by two dependable performances. Franka Potente (Marie from the Bourne trilogy) stars as Lola. A lot of the performance is relegated to sprinting through the streets of Berlin, but Potente proves herself as a solid lead. Moritz Bleibtreu has the main supporting role as Manni, Lola's boyfriend. He provides the finest acting in the movie.

Run Lola Run is a neat concept film. It keeps things moving at a brisk enough pace to prevent any glaring flaws. But the story lacks substance and the characters lack development. At the end of the day, you won't remember the film two days after you see it, but it is certainly not a movie you will regret allotting an hour and twenty minutes of your time.

"Well, we all have our bad days." 6.5/10
January 19, 2015
Re-watched this after many many years and it's as great as ever. Could this have been great without Franka, not likely. It is her as Lola which is the key to the whole film. Maybe another actress would have managed but Franka is flawless for this role. One of my favourites of all time perhaps, it is a pleasure to watch.
January 16, 2015
I wish I'd seen this before making my 100 favorite films list... full review soon (and I mean it this time).
January 7, 2015
The most 90's movie I have ever seen. Awesome, simply awesome, I just watched it in class. Here is an excerpt from what Rotten Tomatoes had to say..."Manni and Lola are twenty-something Berliners, way past cool and desperately in love. When Manni, a local criminal's errand boy, loses twenty thousand Marks, he has twenty minutes to find the money or face retaliation. Not the brightest bulb, Manni turns to the quick-witted, resourceful Lola to devise a plan to save his hide."
December 16, 2014
awesome actioner and shampoo!
½ December 13, 2014
A very good and energetic film, The idea how we spend our time and our choices and every internal and external elements effects on our life, demonstrates beautifully in this film. Fun to watch but not when at the end of the night.
½ November 29, 2014
It's the choices that you make that lead to the present moment, and every choice counts no matter how small it is.
½ October 23, 2014
Just like any other time loop film, the film shows how a single act can change one's fate. It runs in the same cliche storyline but it did show something new, how determination can win against all odds, and for once, it ended with a happy ending. The movie focused more on the love story between the couples. In addition the unique cinematography style complements the story very well.