Run of the Arrow - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Run of the Arrow Reviews

May 15, 2016
Maaaaaaaaaaaaad goooooooooood. One of my favorite westerns, instantly. Which makes sense because Fuller is the man. A must-see.
September 1, 2015
The horrible acting is second only to the stupid, cliche-ridden script,
rubystevens
March 3, 2013
as bold and progressive a western as one would expect from fuller, in spite of that most misguided of method actors, rod steiger, and his godawful 'irish' accent. more than 30 years before 'dances with wolves' and much better, even with charles bronson as a sioux chief named blue buffalo. love. hate. action. violence. death. in one word...emotion
½ September 10, 2011
Watchable but not one of Fuller's best. And Steigers accent is so off putting throughout. As if thats supposed to be Irish. Interesting to see Bronson in an early minor role.
½ April 7, 2011
If only I would have been born 80 or 90 years ago. I could have made a great living playing an Indian in Hollywood. You didn't even have to speak Indian to do it! You just needed to have some spray-on tan and some feathers. Being built like Charles Bronson in this flick would be handy as well to my career as an Indian.
May 19, 2010
Rod Steiger gives a devoted performance as a proud Irish Virginian who, following the Confederacy's surrender of the Civil War, bitterly abandons his home and ventures west to eventually be taken into the Sioux tribe. When the Yankees make their way west to build forts and roads, war ensues, forcing Steiger to question his allegiances. The portrayal of the Sioux can only be described as unconvincing in this movie, played by non-Native American actors speaking in perfect English. Charles Bronson is about the most ill-fitted actor to play a tribal chief as you can imagine, and if casting Sara Montiel as Steiger's Sioux wife wasn't enough, they had Angie Dickinson dub the dialogue so that her diction would be crystal clear. More attention to ethnic detail would have served this story well.
January 24, 2010
Interesting film, but I hated the ending.
January 7, 2009
Rod Steiger playing a Irish Confederate soldier who denounces his country and decides to live with the Sioux.Release this on DVD this is the western a lunatic like me has been waiting to see.
November 3, 2008
Only Sam Fuller couls deliver a Western like this and leave you entertained
Fuller had Been in the Press, and had fought in World War 2.
His movies have a tough rough edge which gives them a distinctive Fuller Stamp.
Here Rod Steiger plays a southern Renegade who feels he is more at home with Sioux indians rather than the United States.#
When he is given the task of escorting a group of calvalry ,including the bad guy he shot (Ralph Meeker) he is forced to make some tough choices .
Fuller shows us a side of Indians hardly seen in westerns of this period and Meeker is great as A hissable villian.
Fullers films always keep you entertained and this one is no exception
June 15, 2008
This excellent film surfaced in BBC 4's current "Western Weekend". I can't remember even seeing it before (and I've seen quite a few!).

Rod Steiger's former Conferederate soldier who decides he'd rather live with the Sioux than in the United States makes for an intriguing character. I had no idea Charles Bronson was making movies in 1957 until I heard his Indian Chief character speak and thought "wait a minute, isn't that Charles Bronson"!

The the second part of the story seems to have elements of the 1866 Fetterman Massacre, but perhaps I'm putting 2 & 2 together and making 5 there.
½ June 14, 2008
A strong western filled with a lot of meaning and understanding, although none of that gets in the way of some good action.
July 12, 2007
Interesting film, but I hated the ending.
March 13, 2006
Best Civil War/American Indian period flick I've seen. Sam Fuller is one honest dude, no matter what. Rod Steiger was good as was Brian Keith (believe it or not). Clever dialogue.