The Running Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Running Man Reviews

February 11, 2016
Good and decently regarded Arnie flick. Doesn't take itself too seriously.
Upon rewatch it now makes me think if George Carlin got the idea for that bit on a deathsport reality show. Makes it a little ahead of its time, the film.
Also those one liners by Arnold, yeah buddy.
February 3, 2016
I loved The Running Man.
It was the one movie from my childhood that I instantly loved.
It was such a fun idea to me.
A game show that takes criminals into scenarios where they must fight ultra strong people, with high tech weapons to survive.
It was a dystopian society where death by murder was popular because it was justified because the victims were criminals.

The host of the show is the legendary family feud host and he does a fantastic job.

It's just a really fun premise, with cool gadgets and memorable villains .
½ February 1, 2016
Good film a few corny one liners but it's different, The plot was made too over complicated and was no need for it and can ruin it at times.
January 3, 2016
Great fun, although it plays out more like a video game than a traditional movie, which may bother some people but I love video games so that's not problematic for me. Richard Dawson does a great job here playing a real slimeball here.
½ January 2, 2016
I tried to watch this on the Sci-Fi Channel and the later on Netflix awhile ago. The movie was based on a book by Stephen King when he was Richard Bachman. It stars Arnold Schwarzenegger as a police guy in the near future, wrongfully accused of murder. In this future the only form of entertainment is the Running Man a game show where criminals fight and compete for their freedom. This premise really sticks with you since it seems like reality TV is going down this road at times. Where we have to intentionally die from someone's entertainment.
The movie itself is okay and Arnold does a lot of one liners. There's also some electric guy to tries to kill the Running men and he also does opera too. If your a fan of 80's Sci-Fi and social commentary this is your movie.
½ December 20, 2015
"Well that hit the spot!"
½ December 16, 2015
Fun sci-fi flick. In my opinion, one of the best Arnold films.
December 9, 2015
O ano é 2019. No estado fascista que a América tornou-se, Ben Richards (Arnold Schwarzenegger) é um piloto de helicóptero da Polícia Federal. Uma noite, durante uma patrulha de rotina, ele recebe ordens de acabar com o motim de mulheres e crianças desarmadas em busca de alimento. Quando Ben se recusa a obedecer, alguém assume o comando da aeronave e faz o trabalho. O estado coloca a culpa em Ben, que se torna conhecido como '' o açougueiro infame de Bakersfield, '' e manda-o para a prisão. The Running Man tem os modos e as engenhocas de um filme de aventura sci-fi, mas no fundo é um purê de ritmo acelerado e pouco cativante.
½ December 1, 2015
Often silly, light hearted, pun filled flick that doubles as a parody of reality tv.
November 24, 2015
I'd love to see an update to this movie. Great 80s flick though.
½ November 22, 2015
I love this movie. Before the Hunger Games, before Battle Royale, there was this movie! Schwarzenegger is at his 80's one-liner best! Still great to watch in these times, even if it is a bit dated.
November 14, 2015
Taking place in the distant year 2017, 1987's "The Running Man" now looks like prophesy. Arnold plays himself, but Richard Dawson steals every scene he's in. Choreography was by a then unknown Paula Abdul. A virtual template for reality television. Recommended.
November 5, 2015
Completely out of the crux of theme. But have to admit it made room for many sequels that did not live up to the incipient.
½ November 4, 2015
It's more like "The Jogging Man" really. Some of the dialogue is unintentional hilarious and some of the story is a little underwhelming but its still a real good time overall.
½ October 26, 2015
In the near future the US lives under a police state. The Governator, a cop, goes rogue, but, after joining up with a group (the type you might see at PorcFest, including Mick Fleetwood and Dwezil Zappa), he is soon captured. Instead of being executed, he is given a chance to play on an extremely popular reality TV show which features cat-and-mouse battles-to-the-death. (Not the most original plot, but this was before The Hunger Games & Battle Royale.) Richard Dawson acts as the announcer, and does an excellent job in his role. Gov Ventura acts as a nemesis and Sven-Ole Thorsen makes one of his many Arnie film appearances. A lot of social commentary (similar to that found in contemporaries They Live, RoboCop, The Hidden, etc). Apparently, this was loosely based on the 1982 Stephen King novel by the same name, but the connection is lost on me. (I'd love to see the actual story of the book made into a film). Also to note, this was the 2nd movie I watched today where someone received a chainsaw to the junk.
½ October 13, 2015
Classic movie. I really enjoyed this Arnold movie it was fun.
½ October 6, 2015
So fun. Such a great story of police states. You can see where things like Battle Royale and Hunger Games got their inspiration.
½ October 6, 2015
This is vintage Arnie and possibly his best 80s flick outside of T1 and Predator. Can't beat the Faltermeyer score nor the endless quotables. Great stuff!
½ September 4, 2015
Arnold Schwarzenegger takes yet another stab at the science fiction genre in his latest film, "The Running Man". And while this isn't one of Schwarzenegger's most iconic roles, it is still one of his better films. It takes a while for it to build up to its core focus, but what follows is a finale filled with some great action. What's more the central antagonist is a gameshow host played by Richard Dawson, whose evil parody of himself is delightful. This film does have a subplot about some Resistance fighting the government that kind of sidetracks the film, when this movie could have stood on just the premise of the deadly game show alone. But other than that, "The Running Man" is an exciting sci-fi film with a clever, satirical commentary on how the media controls knowledge and information.
½ July 29, 2015
While Schwarzenegger once again kicks ass, The Running Man is a cheesy and unoriginal sci-fi movie set in a television battle-to-the-death show