The Running Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Running Man Reviews

½ December 16, 2015
Fun sci-fi flick. In my opinion, one of the best Arnold films.
December 9, 2015
O ano é 2019. No estado fascista que a América tornou-se, Ben Richards (Arnold Schwarzenegger) é um piloto de helicóptero da Polícia Federal. Uma noite, durante uma patrulha de rotina, ele recebe ordens de acabar com o motim de mulheres e crianças desarmadas em busca de alimento. Quando Ben se recusa a obedecer, alguém assume o comando da aeronave e faz o trabalho. O estado coloca a culpa em Ben, que se torna conhecido como '' o açougueiro infame de Bakersfield, '' e manda-o para a prisão. The Running Man tem os modos e as engenhocas de um filme de aventura sci-fi, mas no fundo é um purê de ritmo acelerado e pouco cativante.
½ December 1, 2015
Often silly, light hearted, pun filled flick that doubles as a parody of reality tv.
November 24, 2015
I'd love to see an update to this movie. Great 80s flick though.
½ November 22, 2015
I love this movie. Before the Hunger Games, before Battle Royale, there was this movie! Schwarzenegger is at his 80's one-liner best! Still great to watch in these times, even if it is a bit dated.
November 14, 2015
Taking place in the distant year 2017, 1987's "The Running Man" now looks like prophesy. Arnold plays himself, but Richard Dawson steals every scene he's in. Choreography was by a then unknown Paula Abdul. A virtual template for reality television. Recommended.
November 5, 2015
Completely out of the crux of theme. But have to admit it made room for many sequels that did not live up to the incipient.
½ November 4, 2015
It's more like "The Jogging Man" really. Some of the dialogue is unintentional hilarious and some of the story is a little underwhelming but its still a real good time overall.
½ October 26, 2015
In the near future the US lives under a police state. The Governator, a cop, goes rogue, but, after joining up with a group (the type you might see at PorcFest, including Mick Fleetwood and Dwezil Zappa), he is soon captured. Instead of being executed, he is given a chance to play on an extremely popular reality TV show which features cat-and-mouse battles-to-the-death. (Not the most original plot, but this was before The Hunger Games & Battle Royale.) Richard Dawson acts as the announcer, and does an excellent job in his role. Gov Ventura acts as a nemesis and Sven-Ole Thorsen makes one of his many Arnie film appearances. A lot of social commentary (similar to that found in contemporaries They Live, RoboCop, The Hidden, etc). Apparently, this was loosely based on the 1982 Stephen King novel by the same name, but the connection is lost on me. (I'd love to see the actual story of the book made into a film). Also to note, this was the 2nd movie I watched today where someone received a chainsaw to the junk.
½ October 6, 2015
So fun. Such a great story of police states. You can see where things like Battle Royale and Hunger Games got their inspiration.
½ October 6, 2015
This is vintage Arnie and possibly his best 80s flick outside of T1 and Predator. Can't beat the Faltermeyer score nor the endless quotables. Great stuff!
½ September 4, 2015
Arnold Schwarzenegger takes yet another stab at the science fiction genre in his latest film, "The Running Man". And while this isn't one of Schwarzenegger's most iconic roles, it is still one of his better films. It takes a while for it to build up to its core focus, but what follows is a finale filled with some great action. What's more the central antagonist is a gameshow host played by Richard Dawson, whose evil parody of himself is delightful. This film does have a subplot about some Resistance fighting the government that kind of sidetracks the film, when this movie could have stood on just the premise of the deadly game show alone. But other than that, "The Running Man" is an exciting sci-fi film with a clever, satirical commentary on how the media controls knowledge and information.
½ July 29, 2015
While Schwarzenegger once again kicks ass, The Running Man is a cheesy and unoriginal sci-fi movie set in a television battle-to-the-death show
½ July 19, 2015
Richard Dawson is the Best.
July 15, 2015
This movie predicted reality TV and they did it better! Why is it called survivor when no one ever dies? Oh yeah.... did you ever want to see two governors get in a fist fight? I do/did and "spoiler alert" The Body fights The Terminator!
July 12, 2015
Tagline: A game nobody survives. But Schwarzenegger has yet to play.

The Running Man is one hell of an entertaining movie. Made in a very dated style with biting satire, its campy and action-packed, and it works.

The satire is right on with our love of reality television, even echoing the Price is Right. It definitely differs from the source material by Stephen King (as Richard Bachmann), but it manages to make the best with what it has.

Written by Commando screenwriter Steven E. DeSouza, The Running Man is guilty pleasure movie that blends science fiction, corny one-liners, and a whole lot of bravado. I consider The Running Man an action movie classic.
½ July 11, 2015
Cheesy in a way that only the 80s can give us with the action scenes and one-liners but was lots of fun.
July 6, 2015
This is my favorite movie
½ July 3, 2015
Terrible acting, and not even in a nostalgic sort of way, embarrassing costumes and sets, and an ending that makes no freakin sense....oh and did I mention that there has to be at least 30 minutes of random dancers in those weird 80's aerobics outfits. They legitimately get more screen time than most of the characters. This is just a joke. Decent concept and it makes me interested in the book since it feels like Hunger Games meets V for Vendetta, but in no way worth anyone's time. There's a Russian opera singer gladiator who runs around in a diaper wearing a Light Bright, trying to kill people with his electric power suit....which sounds so ridiculous it should be awesome, but it gets REALLY lame really fast.
June 30, 2015