The Running Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Running Man Reviews

½ November 4, 2015
It's more like "The Jogging Man" really. Some of the dialogue is unintentional hilarious and some of the story is a little underwhelming but its still a real good time overall.
½ October 26, 2015
In the near future the US lives under a police state. The Governator, a cop, goes rogue, but, after joining up with a group (the type you might see at PorcFest, including Mick Fleetwood and Dwezil Zappa), he is soon captured. Instead of being executed, he is given a chance to play on an extremely popular reality TV show which features cat-and-mouse battles-to-the-death. (Not the most original plot, but this was before The Hunger Games & Battle Royale.) Richard Dawson acts as the announcer, and does an excellent job in his role. Gov Ventura acts as a nemesis and Sven-Ole Thorsen makes one of his many Arnie film appearances. A lot of social commentary (similar to that found in contemporaries They Live, RoboCop, The Hidden, etc). Apparently, this was loosely based on the 1982 Stephen King novel by the same name, but the connection is lost on me. (I'd love to see the actual story of the book made into a film). Also to note, this was the 2nd movie I watched today where someone received a chainsaw to the junk.
½ October 6, 2015
So fun. Such a great story of police states. You can see where things like Battle Royale and Hunger Games got their inspiration.
½ October 6, 2015
This is vintage Arnie and possibly his best 80s flick outside of T1 and Predator. Can't beat the Faltermeyer score nor the endless quotables. Great stuff!
½ September 4, 2015
Arnold Schwarzenegger takes yet another stab at the science fiction genre in his latest film, "The Running Man". And while this isn't one of Schwarzenegger's most iconic roles, it is still one of his better films. It takes a while for it to build up to its core focus, but what follows is a finale filled with some great action. What's more the central antagonist is a gameshow host played by Richard Dawson, whose evil parody of himself is delightful. This film does have a subplot about some Resistance fighting the government that kind of sidetracks the film, when this movie could have stood on just the premise of the deadly game show alone. But other than that, "The Running Man" is an exciting sci-fi film with a clever, satirical commentary on how the media controls knowledge and information.
½ July 29, 2015
While Schwarzenegger once again kicks ass, The Running Man is a cheesy and unoriginal sci-fi movie set in a television battle-to-the-death show
½ July 19, 2015
Richard Dawson is the Best.
July 15, 2015
This movie predicted reality TV and they did it better! Why is it called survivor when no one ever dies? Oh yeah.... did you ever want to see two governors get in a fist fight? I do/did and "spoiler alert" The Body fights The Terminator!
July 12, 2015
Tagline: A game nobody survives. But Schwarzenegger has yet to play.

The Running Man is one hell of an entertaining movie. Made in a very dated style with biting satire, its campy and action-packed, and it works.

The satire is right on with our love of reality television, even echoing the Price is Right. It definitely differs from the source material by Stephen King (as Richard Bachmann), but it manages to make the best with what it has.

Written by Commando screenwriter Steven E. DeSouza, The Running Man is guilty pleasure movie that blends science fiction, corny one-liners, and a whole lot of bravado. I consider The Running Man an action movie classic.
½ July 11, 2015
Cheesy in a way that only the 80s can give us with the action scenes and one-liners but was lots of fun.
July 6, 2015
This is my favorite movie
½ July 3, 2015
Terrible acting, and not even in a nostalgic sort of way, embarrassing costumes and sets, and an ending that makes no freakin sense....oh and did I mention that there has to be at least 30 minutes of random dancers in those weird 80's aerobics outfits. They legitimately get more screen time than most of the characters. This is just a joke. Decent concept and it makes me interested in the book since it feels like Hunger Games meets V for Vendetta, but in no way worth anyone's time. There's a Russian opera singer gladiator who runs around in a diaper wearing a Light Bright, trying to kill people with his electric power suit....which sounds so ridiculous it should be awesome, but it gets REALLY lame really fast.
June 30, 2015
great old-school movie!!!
½ June 8, 2015
Featuring Schwarzenegger in his prime, the Running man does not have the lasting appeal of a Total Recall or a Predator despite a similarly intriguing plot. Perhaps the Arnold-centredness of it is to blame or the overt desire to push a satirical point about television while revelling in the same type of mindlessness that the movie seems to be making digs at (before this became cool in postmodern actioners like Kick ass). Nonetheless it is a competent 80s stock action movie with a spandex clad, anglo-named austrian spouting stupid one liners as gimmicky villains get offed in superlative MDK scenes. Good in my book.
June 3, 2015
its a great 80's arnold schwarzengger movie
June 2, 2015
Goofy and formulaic but still one hell of an entertaining film.
May 25, 2015
Some good old arnold 80's action cheese
May 25, 2015
É uma brincadeira de arcade-game feito com imaginação.
É o ano de 2017. "The Running Man" é um jogo mortal ninguém jamais sobreviveu. Mas ..... mas Schwarzenegger ainda tem que jogar.
Bom Filme dos anos 80. 2017 é daqui a 2 anos o pode da TV será que vai ser desta forma..talvez não mas a manipulação e o controle dos povos essa está no filme.
½ May 22, 2015
"The Running Man" is basically a movie consisting of several Arnold's past quotes like "I'll be back" and so forth. The rush storyline and stupid characters make this 80's action movie laughable and ridiculous. It felt low budget too. I'm sure all B films are like that, but this goes too far. I had a great time laughing at the absurdity of it all, but this is just plain stupid.