Runoff Reviews

• Jan 30, 2017

The acting was genuine. The rest was so contrived, and melodramatic. It dragged, lagged, and then ended. Skip it.

• Mar 05, 2016

This American independent film paints a depressing picture of the current ag business model, juxtaposing old farmers with new paradigms and highlighting the financial pressures corporations create for customers and competitors alike. Within this ecosystem, one family struggles to survive amidst pressures from several angles.

• Oct 31, 2015

It's s bit slow but it draws you into the struggles of one ordinary farm family trying their best to survive. The simple things can't be taken for granted. The essentials are sometimes unattainable and good people are forced to make bad decisions. Sadly it's the woman who worries the most and finds the solutions to provide for her family. The man expects everything to work out by itself.

• Oct 01, 2015

Heart of Darkness "Runoff" illuminates how Big Ag is literally shifting the landscape. Starting with the soil, corporate monoliths are corrupting our American roots and bankrupting the small, family farmers who have fed our nation. If you're looking for light fare, come back and watch "Runoff" when you're in the mood to dig into what's deeply wrong with our system and the rot at its core...this movie is more heart of darkness. The acting is A+ across the board from lead Joanne Kelly, who I had never seen before to character actor Tom Bower who's been in everything from Crazy Heart to Die Hard 2. I love docs like Food Inc and movies like Erin Brockovich but if you're looking for something more challenging, you'll probably get a lot out of "Runoff."

• Sep 08, 2015

This film is a finely crafted study of the slippery slope of moral compromise, set in a farming community of quite sympathetic and very believable characters going about lives of day-to-day and decision-to-decision, quiet survival. Superbly shot with understated visuals that gently draw one in, the viewer becomes involved in a worsening chain of difficult paths the characters feel they must take, although they know that the outcomes could be failure of their finances, their morals, and their responsibilities to their children. The writer and director, Kimberly Levin (who brings stage directing experience to the task), displays a sure hand, uses no cheap tricks, and -- above all -- keeps faith with her viewers by framing conflicts honestly and by offering no easy answers. And despite whatever superlatives I use, the film is better than the words I can bring to bear describing it. See it -- you will feel enriched as I have.

• Aug 21, 2015

RUNOFF is a true movie-lover's movie. It takes us into a world that most of us know little about and explores it with a sophistication and class rarely seen in a debut film. The last half hour will have you on the edge of your seat. Levin doesn't just present you this world, she puts you in surround sound of it. You truly feel as if you are there. Throughout the entire piece, her camera is enveloping you in the everyday beauty of this environment, and you will (like Betty) feel compelled to protect it with all you have.

• Aug 14, 2015

Tense through great story telling. Reminded me of Hurt Locker. Amazing initial work from Director Kim Levin.

• Aug 13, 2015

Great movie and a fantastic start for a new director who will go far

Great movie and a fantastic start for a new director who will go far

• Aug 07, 2015

Excellent movie...as an Indie film...BRAVO!!!

Excellent movie...as an Indie film...BRAVO!!!

• Aug 06, 2015

I truly enjoyed this film. A powerful narrative feature that moved me and made me think about my decisions.