Rush: Time Stand Still Reviews

• Jan 12, 2019

An emotional goodbye to rock n roll's finest and longest enduring trio. I grew up listening to these guys and felt lucky to have been able to see them as many times as I did- with my father, with his girlfriend and with my own. Their music will live on forever. Humble and endlessly talented musicians that have earned their retirement. Thanks for the music and the memories.

• Dec 18, 2018

As a long time Rush fan, this was a fantastic, yet a heartbreaking film. The thought that this is their last tour ends a long chapter in my life that started with 2112. Still, a great doc about the band's final tour.

• Apr 07, 2018

I watched this in my hotel room a while back. If you want to see a bunch of old, blubbering white dudes (I"m not talking about the band) lamenting the retirement of their favorite band, then this movie is for you. Otherwise, I'd pass. I'm sure the fans will love it. I used to be one of those guys, but I realized how f***ing annoying we are/were. Any discussion of music leads to the inevitable interjection of Rush, whether it's Neil's lyrics and drumming, Geddy's alacrity at playing bass, singing, and keyboards all at the same time, or Alex's guitar and hair loss, they'd find a way to work it into the conversation. Rush fans are like vegetarians, they just can't help but tell you about how great it is to be one. I quite following Rush in about 2007 and there was nothing in this video that was new or revealing that hasn't been talked about before. It's good Neil made the call for them to retire. Geddy and Alex would obviously like to keep on touring but it's just about the right time, they could've done this a few years ago. Any longer and they'd become caricatures of old rock 'n roll guys.

• May 24, 2017

If you like Rush, you'll like this movie. You might even like this movie if you don't like Rush. If you don't like Rush, this movie might make you like Rush.

• Jan 08, 2017

While I loved this, the previous documentary called Beyond the Lighted Stage remains my favourite. I would have enjoyed more footage from fellow musicians as it pertained to the final tour for Canada's greatest band. Otherwise, this will be worth several viewings just for nostalgia alone.

• Nov 05, 2016

I enjoyed the documentary when it was covering the band, tour stops, Road crew, celebrity stories, management stories and actual stuff on the band. What I despised was seeing Rush fans projected as unhinged, socially awkward, creepy, and obsessed with 3 guys who wouldn't have dinner with them if they offered to pay. Neil has never wanted anything to do with fans, says he has hated touring since 1975 and hated R40. There were so many scenes that made me squirm in my seat that I felt guilty even seeing this premiere in a movie theater with 30 other people. The fans I talked to said they were annoyed by "Jillian" a Rush fan since 1991 occupying such precious screen time when the real story should have been the band at each of the 35 venues and the fans in other markets. The film has emotional moments like the fan from Scotland who was nearly killed in a car accident and treks to Los Angeles for his first and last Rush show with a kudos to the song Everyday Glory being his anthem in recovery. The father and son from Argentina. Both very worthy of being in this film. But, the obsession with Jillian and the White House job she has, her friendship with President Obama, her being a coordinator for Rushcon a fan convention that takes place in Toronto every year with about 80 or 90 people. It even takes up another 15 mins on the Rushcon in Los Angeles for the final show. Enough. The crazed breathless collector Ray needs counseling. Nice guy but again...if you want to do a documentary on Rush fans? Then do one. But this was about the final tour of Rush. Not let's see your tape collection from Indonesia in a brief case. The film is titled Time Stand Still, taken from the 1987 hit song from Hold Your Fire...and yet...the song never appears in the film once. What would have been more relevant than 40% of Jillian? How about interviews with Geddy's wife on her husband's road life coming to an end? Impact on their life having him gone from the family for so long for decades? Alex's wife, Neil's wife? Alex's sons? Geddy's son or daughter? Showing footage from all of the tours? Talking in depth about the set list and why they chose so many songs from Clockwork Angels and Snakes and Arrows and obscure tracks and zero emphasis on Hold Your Fire, Power Windows, Presto, Test For Echo? No discussion about the elephant in the room...Geddy's rapidly declining voice. How he was handling things day to day? Alex golf outings? No discussions with Neil's drum tech Lorne or his bodyguard Michael who he writes about in his blog constantly? Zero unseen photos or footage used of something from the vault in the 80s and 90s. Now for the home release they are adding in a dozen songs from an Auburn Hills show from 1990....that has been on YouTube for 10 years....as a complete show. Not even the complete Concert but excerpts on the blu ray. WTF? It begs the question why are Exit Stage Left..., Grace Under Pressure Tour, A Show of Hands, Through The Camera Eye, and Chronicles not out on blu ray? Is the band this cheap to not issue a proper blu ray release of these shows with restored film and whatever leftover footage was cut from the later tours? Why not a full compilation disc of every video ever made? Why scam your fans into buying big box sets to get a clip here or a clip there? Why not put the full unreleased 1992 Roll The Bones Tour Auburn Hills Palace show out instead of ripping off bootleg YouTube 1990 Presto tour video clips and saying it is unreleased? In the film they go to Randy Johnson's house and show him getting honored in Arizona with his number retired and getting an R30 replica. But zero is mentioned that he photographed the tour and his photo is the cover of R40 itself?!? It's just like ok here is Randy Johnson after we hear from Jillian for 15 mins. At least address why he is in the film to begin with! Bottom line is a documentary needs to be done on them individually and in depth. Another needs to be made that doesn't watch the clock. Rush needs a 4 hour documentary to fairly cover every era, every studio and live album, the others influenced by Rush who were never asked or were never shown in Beyond The Lighted Stage. There is so much to say and cover that nobody has even come close to doing yet. Making 2 documentaries that run less than 2 hours each is completely unacceptable. There is an arsenal of history and information that must be documented properly without revisionist and fanboi obsession. Hopefully Dale and Allan read this and realize that just because you did this that the story has been told. It hasn't.

• Nov 04, 2016

As a long time fan of the band, I was really happy to see how well this was done - not only as a tribute, but as an inside analysis of how these men dealt with the conflict between their age and their future legacy. As the film showed the unique love of their fans, it accentuated the difficulty in calling it a career.

• Nov 04, 2016

I saw Rush/Time Stand Still last night. Awful. Just AWFUL. The production values on the opening interview segment were so poor and the clips themselves so pointless that I nearly walked out. (Some appear to have been recorded with a smart phone!)There was no reason not to think they weren't the real show. The 'Time Stand Still' doc itself was not much better. The story was jagged, the interviews were haphazard, the camera work was wretched... I could go on. Worst of all, there was not nearly enough music - not even one entire song. I will think long and hard before committing time and money to see another Fathom special event movie.

• Nov 04, 2016

Fours stars, but, only because I'm angry at them for retiring!

Fours stars, but, only because I'm angry at them for retiring!

• Nov 04, 2016

A touching tribute to three of the most talented, intelligent and hard working men in the music business that have brought so much joy to fans for over forty years. There was not a dry eye in the house. Highly recommend watching this, even if you've never heard RUSH before.