Russell Mulcahy's Tale of the Mummy Reviews

• Nov 04, 2016

This is a terrible movie. Not just kind of terrible ... really godawful. There's a ton of talent involved ... Michael Lerner, Honor Blackman, Christopher Lee, Shelley Duvall, Jon Polito ... and they are all terrible in it. It's puzzling that every actor in it, including ones that are almost always good even in bad films, are just not good. Then again ... the film makes no sense, so what have they got to work with? An hour into this, I realized that even though I had been paying quite close attention, I had no idea what was going on.

• Sep 16, 2016

Tale of The Mummy(1998) Starring: Jason Scott Lee, Louise Lombard, Sean Pertwee, Lysette Anthony, Michael Lerner, Jack Daveport, Honor Blackman, Shelly Duvall, and Christopher Lee Directed By: Russell Mulcahy Review The curse is legend. The terror is real. Hello Kiddies your pal the crypt-critic here and you know what monster I've never liked, The Mummy. Mummies have always bored me. This film is a triumph at boring me tonight. When an archaeological expedition opens an ancient Egyptian tomb, the unimaginable evil of a cursed pharaoh is unleashed. Dealing with the standard plot points of the mummified undead (curses, reincarnation, deadly linen), it manages to them so lame because the characters are boring but I will give the film two things, The Mummies wrapping in toil tree powers were cool and did a decent job at bringing the mummy to modern time. Apparently this is a straight to video horror film, well no wonder it wasn't that engaging and the CG was shit. But yet somehow it got Christopher Lee in this movie for it's opening. Tale of The Mummy doesn't help me like The Mummy monster but does let me see the potential with it's cool wrapping powers. I'm giving Tale of The Mummy a two and a half out of five.

• Oct 12, 2015

Elements of the better mummy movie that came out the same year, but not nearly as good. The victims being wrapped up a mummies themelessves was interesting.

• Jun 30, 2015

Why did I watch this? Because Christopher Lee died recently and he is in it. Just another reason to be mad about Saruman's demise.

• Jun 27, 2014

This movie was ok... until the ending. Big disappointment! I'll save y'all the time of actually watching this by spoiling the ending... the bad guy wins.

• Jan 24, 2014

Horrible, horrible movie, even by bad movie standards. The plot is incoherent., and character development is at an incredible low. One of the worst movies I have ever seen, and I thought "Jack and Jill" was just below average. Skip it if you can.

• Oct 31, 2013

A good movie to see this Halloween.

A good movie to see this Halloween.

• Jul 06, 2013

This movie actually wasn't too bad. The mummy itself looked pretty damn cool but the movies story was crap.

• Oct 28, 2012

An unusual mummy-movie in that it's not a comedy. The beginning is a bit bland, but suspense is high and there's a great twist to the end. For a $8M movie the effects are decent.

• Oct 03, 2012

This started off well and it was really nice to see Christopher Lee there at the start...but I was sat there thinking of other better mummy films...its kinda a interesting cast though.