V/H/S/2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

V/H/S/2 Reviews

January 15, 2017
170115: V/H/S/2 improves upon the first film and provides for some pretty decent jumps. I've discovered that watching a film with headphones is the way to go and it's proven true here. Sound is the secret, especially to the exclusion of external ones. This viewing method gave V/H/S/2 some extra pop and put me on edge. There are a lot of weird sounds contained within. However, why does Larry (Lawrence Lavine) not call 911 when he finds Ayesha (Kelsy Abbott) unconscious? That's what normal people would do...
January 15, 2017
3/5. Not as good as the original, but there is one short in particular about an Indonesian cult that makes V/H/S/2 absolutely worth the watch.
January 2, 2017
While it still occasionally suffers from poor acting, annoying camerawork, and awkward storytelling, VHS 2 is nevertheless a massive improvement over its predecessor. This is all thanks to some creative setups and an appropriately creepy atmosphere throughout.

To quickly break down each segment:

Tape 49 (the wraparound) - arguably the weakest portion of the film as it doesn't make a whole lot of sense although its lingering sense of paranoia works in its favor.

Phase I Clinical Trials: A solid ghost story with a sly sense of humor.

A Ride in the Park: More lighthearted than the other segments but with a helping of heavy gore. Great effects, a good sense of humor, and a fast pace make this work.

Safe Haven: My personal favorite (as I have a real life fear of cults) and arguably the best segment. The excellent effects, strong feelings of dread, and genuinely disturbing imagery makes this a cut above the rest.

Slumber Party Alien Abduction: Some poor acting and annoying shaky cam detract from the overall quality. However, the heart-pounding chase scenes and relentless ruthlessness help give it a pass.

Overall, despite its flaws, VHS 2 is a great horror anthology movie that can be played alongside George Romero's original Creepshow.
December 15, 2016
BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL FILM IMO!
December 15, 2016
What is it with found footage movies and 100% totally unlikable characters played by actors who only know how to overact? Aside from a few moments gore that are interesting, this movie will kill brain cells. It's just an ugly, cruel film.
½ December 9, 2016
Felt cheap and cliche, the ending is okay though.
½ November 22, 2016
It is a pleasure to see that this much superior sequel comprises four efficient stories that can be quite scary and make use of their filming technology to their advantage. Still, it is a shame though that the wrap-around story is so awful that it nearly ruins the whole experience.
November 17, 2016
This movie that, after viewing on Netflix came to conclude that V.H.S. 2 was better and more gore then V.H.S. Viral & V.H.S 1. To be honest, if you can handle murder, suicide, and s**t tons of blood.
½ November 5, 2016
Even if the acting is mostly meh, not all of the effects work and not all of the shorts work completely, V/H/S 2 is an admirable improvement over its predecessor, from structure to individual shorts (with "Safe Haven", as many have pointed out, being by far the strongest), from cinematography to editing, endlessly creative with its premise and with a sense of humour about itself that makes its flaws significantly more tolerable.
October 31, 2016
VHS 2 is a solid follow-up to the first, providing no more and no less of its unique vision of storytelling.
September 23, 2016
This is the best movie I've ever seen!
I've watched it several times now and each time it gets better. I guess I should rate each of the stories.

1- (4/5)
A guy that gets an eye implant after a car wreck can see paranormal beings. It's very interesting to watch and terrifying.

2-(3.5/5)
A zombie apocalypse from the zombies point of view. This was is great and humorous at times

3 (5/5
The best one by far! A Japanese cult is being interviewed when their time has come to go to the promised land. There is lots of death and even a chest burst scene.
½ September 14, 2016
This movie was actually quite frightening, if you mean frigthening as in have such a good predecessor then go to crap. This movie started off with a really scary intro, and then the whole thing just went downhill from there.
½ September 3, 2016
The first tape played was fairly weak I'd say, while I love paranormal shit, I'm still only giving it a 2. Okay, I'm not really into zombies that much.. But that 2nd tape was really cool. The first person zombie view was a brilliant idea! I'll be generous with this and give it a full 5! The 3rd had potential to be really good, but ended up being a little ridiculous in the end. I'll give this on a 2.5 for at least attempting to be original. 4th was cool because they actually succeeded at making aliens scary and it had a fairly amusing beginning too, although they could have by someone without watching the dog die.. This one gets a 3.5. The main recording was fairly pointless until the end, they almost didn't need it, and the ending was fairly mediocre, so I'm giving this a 1.5.

I'll be rounding down to 2.5 stars altogether rather than giving it any bonus points like I did for the first, since it somewhat lost its charm from the first one of not being on actually vhs... It didn't make sense why they were watching it on vhs tapes when it was filmed in higher quality cameras... But there were a couple of really creepy stories that make it worth watching. Although you may just end up skipping to those two and not bothering with the entire film as a whole.
August 13, 2016
Solid addition to the horror genre.
July 30, 2016
Believe it or not! This is an absolute gem. Where the first film relied too heavily on its found footage angle, forgetting to actually be scary or interesting in the process. VHS2 flourishes with hit after hit after hit. With one in particular destined to become a modern horror classic!
July 21, 2016
An even better sequel to an awesome movie! These people should keep up the great work!
July 20, 2016
I know everyone tiered of found footage movies but this is where that style movie belongs. Low budget horror flicks by directors either trying something experimental or just having fun.
June 19, 2016
Another hit and miss collection that will bring a couple scares, but mostly head scratchers.

"V/H/S/2" is another horror anthology, a sequel to "V/H/S". Although mostly unrelated, this sparks a new wave of horror shorts. As the night progresses, they view more tapes, unknowing of the consequences that lie ahead.

Like the my first review of the V/H/S film, I will break down each tape within this movie and give my opinion on each one, concluding with a final score for the film as a whole.

"Tape 49/Frame Narrative": A man named Larry and his girlfriend are asked to investigate into a missing person's case, the person being a college student. One night, they break into Kyle's dorm, only to discover a laptop, a massive collection of VHS tapes, and a whole lot of creepy. Now, this is the primary narrative of the story, being the one that occurs between each tape. This is basically the same thing that the first film does and serves the purpose of being an easy way to go from one tape to the next. There's no real substance to the story, nor do you care about the situation at hand. There are attempts to create some lore around the tapes which is pretty cool and I was interested in the man on the laptop and what he was saying, but it was basically a dead weight tape. Although the ending was neat and creepy in many ways, it doesn't make up for the lack of heart in the story. 2/5 stars.

"Phase I Clinical Trials": After a devastating car crash, the survivor, Herman, receives an ocular implant with a camera to replace his damaged right eye. However, when he returns home, he realizes that not only is this not a saving grace, but will open a door to another world. The concept here was definitely interesting and it had some potential, but it fell to nothing but horror cliches, shaky cam, an annoying (yet realistic) blinking eye cam, and a very convoluted story. 1/5 stars.

"A Ride in the Park": A zombie apocalypse from the POV of a zombie could make for a really interesting and unique way to tell a story, but it felt more cliched and stupid than anything. A biker named Mike, with a Go-Pro attached to his helmet, stumbles across a women crying for help. He is bitten by the women, turning him into a flesh eating zombie. When he infects a couple other victims, they turn and feast toward the general public. Now, other than the new way to tell the story of a zombie apocalypse, nothing else here really stood out. It was interesting to see what the zombie saw, but nothing jaw dropping happened, nor did anything original occur. There was some disturbing imagery, but you spent more time yelling at the people for their stupidity rather than watching in awe. 2/5 stars.

"Safe Haven": This is not only one of the best V/H/S short films I've seen thus far, but is definitely one of the most disturbing out of all of them. A news crew go to an Indonesian cult to film a documentary, but it turns out to be much more gruesome and disturbing than they thought it could ever be. This one was not only the most original stories, but I felt uneasy throughout the entire segment. I was constantly at the edge of my seat knowing that something was off and there was an actual story at hand. They were able to tell a lot in just a short amount of time and I was honestly shocked at the things that happened. There was so much originality and disturbing moments here and I genuinely had an interest for this film. The whole concept is creepy in its own manner and when things go down, it is hectic, chaotic, gruesome, and scary all at the same time. 4.5/5 stars.

"Slumber Party Alien Abduction": A young group of immature boys harass their older sister and her boyfriend through a night of shenanigans. From attaching a Go-Pro to their dog or interrupting their sexual pleasures, the night is filled with endless, head scratching pranks. However, things go south when a massive alien abduction takes place and they're picked off one by one. This might be one of the worst V/H/S shorts yet, filled with awful characters, immature jokes, a senseless story, and some awful camera work. I truly felt like this short hit all the wrong notes and everything they tried to do came out as weak and boring. There was one cool second in the entire short, involving a quick shot in the water, but that was it. I hated the characters at hand which made the film even more useless, and this was the wrong short to end the movie with. .5/5 stars.

Like the first V/H/S/ film, I have given these films multiple viewings in an attempt to recognize the quality of them. However, upon multiple viewings, there's so much wrong with these films. They're ultimately just a collection of random tapes with a senseless narrative, missing more than it hits. I just can't stand the inconsistency of the film and the fact that it's all over the place makes it real convoluted.

In the end, I wanted to like this film, I truly did. But in the end, I feel like this is just wasted potential left in the hands of a couple talented directors, and a few lazy ones.
June 17, 2016
Much better than the original.
½ June 8, 2016
so boring and such a nonsense