V/H/S/2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

V/H/S/2 Reviews

April 20, 2017
Most of the tapes seem obviously scripted and staged, but it was fun to watch
April 15, 2017
I prefer this movie over the first it has scarier skits, a better assembly of Directors, and just a better feel to it.
½ April 7, 2017
Safe Haven and Slumber Party Alien Abduction were great, both creepy.

A ride in the park was absolutely stupid.

The rest was mediocre.
April 3, 2017
A step up from the original. This one is entertaining from beginning to end.
March 3, 2017
Maybe not as scary but much more evenly paced than the original. The shaky cam is toned down and I genuinely found each shirt to be very effectively done. Some of the special effects are mind boggling good and the blood and gore is turned up to heights that's puts the Evil Dead remake to shame. If you don't choose to watch this film I won't hold it against you, but the Gareth Evans short about the religious cult absolutely stunned me. I loved it and if nothing else check that short out, it's amazing in my opinion
January 27, 2017
Massive disappointment after the creative, original first movie. The first couple of sequences are bizarrely badly made. Japanese cult sequence kicks in- only vaguely interesting story - goes rapidly downhill and leaves you wishing you were watching VHS1. Do not bother.
January 15, 2017
170115: V/H/S/2 improves upon the first film and provides for some pretty decent jumps. I've discovered that watching a film with headphones is the way to go and it's proven true here. Sound is the secret, especially to the exclusion of external ones. This viewing method gave V/H/S/2 some extra pop and put me on edge. There are a lot of weird sounds contained within. However, why does Larry (Lawrence Lavine) not call 911 when he finds Ayesha (Kelsy Abbott) unconscious? That's what normal people would do...
January 15, 2017
3/5. Not as good as the original, but there is one short in particular about an Indonesian cult that makes V/H/S/2 absolutely worth the watch.
January 2, 2017
While it still occasionally suffers from poor acting, annoying camerawork, and awkward storytelling, VHS 2 is nevertheless a massive improvement over its predecessor. This is all thanks to some creative setups and an appropriately creepy atmosphere throughout.

To quickly break down each segment:

Tape 49 (the wraparound) - arguably the weakest portion of the film as it doesn't make a whole lot of sense although its lingering sense of paranoia works in its favor.

Phase I Clinical Trials: A solid ghost story with a sly sense of humor.

A Ride in the Park: More lighthearted than the other segments but with a helping of heavy gore. Great effects, a good sense of humor, and a fast pace make this work.

Safe Haven: My personal favorite (as I have a real life fear of cults) and arguably the best segment. The excellent effects, strong feelings of dread, and genuinely disturbing imagery makes this a cut above the rest.

Slumber Party Alien Abduction: Some poor acting and annoying shaky cam detract from the overall quality. However, the heart-pounding chase scenes and relentless ruthlessness help give it a pass.

Overall, despite its flaws, VHS 2 is a great horror anthology movie that can be played alongside George Romero's original Creepshow.
December 15, 2016
BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL FILM IMO!
December 15, 2016
What is it with found footage movies and 100% totally unlikable characters played by actors who only know how to overact? Aside from a few moments gore that are interesting, this movie will kill brain cells. It's just an ugly, cruel film.
½ December 9, 2016
Felt cheap and cliche, the ending is okay though.
½ November 22, 2016
It is a pleasure to see that this much superior sequel comprises four efficient stories that can be quite scary and make use of their filming technology to their advantage. Still, it is a shame though that the wrap-around story is so awful that it nearly ruins the whole experience.
November 17, 2016
This movie that, after viewing on Netflix came to conclude that V.H.S. 2 was better and more gore then V.H.S. Viral & V.H.S 1. To be honest, if you can handle murder, suicide, and s**t tons of blood.
½ November 5, 2016
Even if the acting is mostly meh, not all of the effects work and not all of the shorts work completely, V/H/S 2 is an admirable improvement over its predecessor, from structure to individual shorts (with "Safe Haven", as many have pointed out, being by far the strongest), from cinematography to editing, endlessly creative with its premise and with a sense of humour about itself that makes its flaws significantly more tolerable.
October 31, 2016
VHS 2 is a solid follow-up to the first, providing no more and no less of its unique vision of storytelling.
September 23, 2016
This is the best movie I've ever seen!
I've watched it several times now and each time it gets better. I guess I should rate each of the stories.

1- (4/5)
A guy that gets an eye implant after a car wreck can see paranormal beings. It's very interesting to watch and terrifying.

2-(3.5/5)
A zombie apocalypse from the zombies point of view. This was is great and humorous at times

3 (5/5
The best one by far! A Japanese cult is being interviewed when their time has come to go to the promised land. There is lots of death and even a chest burst scene.
½ September 14, 2016
This movie was actually quite frightening, if you mean frigthening as in have such a good predecessor then go to crap. This movie started off with a really scary intro, and then the whole thing just went downhill from there.
½ September 3, 2016
The first tape played was fairly weak I'd say, while I love paranormal shit, I'm still only giving it a 2. Okay, I'm not really into zombies that much.. But that 2nd tape was really cool. The first person zombie view was a brilliant idea! I'll be generous with this and give it a full 5! The 3rd had potential to be really good, but ended up being a little ridiculous in the end. I'll give this on a 2.5 for at least attempting to be original. 4th was cool because they actually succeeded at making aliens scary and it had a fairly amusing beginning too, although they could have by someone without watching the dog die.. This one gets a 3.5. The main recording was fairly pointless until the end, they almost didn't need it, and the ending was fairly mediocre, so I'm giving this a 1.5.

I'll be rounding down to 2.5 stars altogether rather than giving it any bonus points like I did for the first, since it somewhat lost its charm from the first one of not being on actually vhs... It didn't make sense why they were watching it on vhs tapes when it was filmed in higher quality cameras... But there were a couple of really creepy stories that make it worth watching. Although you may just end up skipping to those two and not bothering with the entire film as a whole.
August 13, 2016
Solid addition to the horror genre.