Sacco and Vanzetti - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sacco and Vanzetti Reviews

July 23, 2013
It's not for everyone, nothing blows up, but I learned a lot about our country's past and present and how the future could be different, if only we were different.
February 1, 2013
Excellent documentary.
June 3, 2012
This is an amazing story about two Italian American's who endured suffering based on racial prejudice as immigrants. Yes, Italians were victims of the same things that Mexican's are dealing with now...but the documentary put me to sleep.
½ April 12, 2012
another one bites the dust!
December 19, 2011
Yay for documentaries with topics you learned about in school!
½ January 13, 2011
The trial of the century in 1921. It polarized America and garnered attention through out the world. Interesting mixture of historical photos, interviews, the letters and the culture that these individuals and thier trial spawned, It does not explore thier guilt or innocence, but the prejudice of the day, and asks does it translate to today.
½ September 26, 2010
An interesting documentary about one of several 'Trial of the Century' events of the 20th Century. Were they innocent? Who knows? But what is clear is that they were not given a fair trial in any way shape or form. Far more of a politically motivated show trial designed to send a message to people with unpopular political leanings (not to mention ethnic background) than any kind of search for justice, it is a grim reminder of what happens when facts take a back seat to nationalism and when justice is trampled by mob ruled hatred. A lesson that still echoes today.
flixsterman
½ December 13, 2009
A solid documentary about one of the worst miscarriages of justice in American history.
August 14, 2009
Apparently this received a goodly amount of critical praise and although I found it very interesting and an ironic turn on current events, the filmmaking itself was not that compelling.
February 7, 2009
Sacco and Vanzetti was the best documentary I have ever seen in my life. 400 thumbs up!
½ December 18, 2008
another one bites the dust!
October 28, 2008
It was okay, but kind of dull. And my lord, Tony Shalhoub did his Mario the plumber impression for this movie, too!
September 30, 2008
A great story, indifferently told.
September 1, 2008
this is the story...
better the version by Montaldo with Gian Maria Volontè
August 7, 2008
Boulversant ! Une telle injustice, c'est révoltant. Et le pire, c'est de savoir qu'en réalité rien n'a changé; c'est juste ... différent !
June 16, 2008
it was encouraging to hear the story of sacco & vanzetti. two people who not only had firm ethics, but the courage to stand by them even in the face of a biased and corrupt judicial system... i suggest you watch this dvd, listen to woody guthrie, and get radical.
½ June 15, 2008
Very good overview of the case. I mainly watched this for a better understanding of the Woody Guthrie album and it worked.
½ May 26, 2008
The trial that captivated America during the 1920s. I was looking for the feature film but found this recent documentary which tells the story of Sacco and Vanzetti through a lot of talking heads. Howard Zinn is the most interesting person to speak in this movie.
½ April 23, 2008
Great telling of this awful tale. There's some great expert opinions and some equally great interviews from people with personal stories connected to the case (the daughter of one of the murder victims, for example). The director says in the special features that it was the perfect time to do this because soon after many of these witnesses passed on. The movie did not have a large amount of funding and thus, there was a lack of pictures and the like. But, Tony Shalhoub and John Turturro provide excellent voiceovers for the two accused and a lot can be learn and felt about this case of prejudice and injustice towards immigrants and political radicals. A sad and disturbing story in the history of America that we should no more about.
Harlequin68
April 5, 2008
[font=Century Gothic]"Sacco & Vanzetti" is an informative documentary about Nicola Sacco and Bartolomeo Vanzetti, two immigrants and anarchists who were railroaded for a murder and robbery that happened near Boston in 1920 and executed in 1927.(Even though I heard of them, the particulars of the case were unfamiliar to me until now.) While borrowing too much from the Ken Burns school of documentary filmmaking(admittedly it does open it up a little but the music is definitely overkill), the documentary does an adequate job of linking their case to today via the immigrant issue and the war on terror. But regrettably it does not do the same with the death penalty and there is little information on anarchism as a philosophy. No matter how far we have come as a nation, it always seems like there is always more work to be done. [/font]