The Sadist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Sadist Reviews

November 26, 2015
No stars. 100%?!?! Did the reviewers watch the same film as me? Or did I watch some different version of the film where there was "tension" and "underlying creepiness" (to quote some of the professionals on here)? Because this is a 0 star, 0% work all the way. Anyone who thinks otherwise has obviously not seen "Badlands," which, like this film, is based on the reign of terror of real life teenage murderer Charles Starkweather and his pre-teen partner Caril Ann Fugate. THERE'S a movie with tension and unsettling creepiness. THIS movie is notable for one thing, and one thing only, Arch Hall Jr, the bleached blonde, baby faced wannabe Elvis who starred in "Eegah!" (one of the worst movies ever made and one of the best episodes of "Mystery Science Theater 3000") plays a creep much like Starkweather. Previously, Arch Hall Sr (who played the Dad and wrote and directed "Eegah," using a different pseudonym for each profession) tried his hardest to turn his son into the next teen sensation. He had champagne dreams on an RC Cola budget. After two flops (the other being "Wild Guitar," which I've never seen and probably never will), Sr. realized that the ladies weren't going to go crazy for Jr. So, he did a complete 180 degree rotation, and cast his son as an unlikable nutcase killer, complete with his own Caril Ann Fugate (played by Roxy from "Eegah," only her character is mute in this film so we don't have to hear her awful line delivery). Oh, right, the plot. A group of Decent Ordinary American Citizens break down in the middle of the desert and, to make matters worse, cross paths with Charch Starkhallther Jr and his lady friend, who opt to "have some fun" with them. Having some fun consists mostly of pointing a gun at the group, laughing like a demonic Pee Wee Herman, and boasting of all the killings he's done. He does each of these actions SEVERAL times. Seriously. Points the gun, laughs the laugh, then tells about this guy he killed (not a different guy each time, the SAME STORY about the SAME GUY. And he keeps telling the story over and over like it's the first time we've heard it, and the hostages always react like it's the first time they've heard it. LOTS of repetition in this movie. Roxy Ann turns on the car radio and does a little dance for several minutes. Then turns off the radio and sits down. Then she gets up, turns the radio back on and does the EXACT SAME dance to the EXACT SAME song again! Barely a minute went by before that scene was repeated on us. What is the meaning of this? Is this movie trying to drive you insane? Is that why it gets 100%, because not the scares, not the tension but the endless repeating of scenes over and over again is designed to flip your wig? If so, stroke of genius! But then again, they expect us to be scared of Arch Hall Jr. There isn't an acting academy in the world that could get someone to feign horror at the sight of that hair helmet and screwy face. Long review aside, I found this more annoying than scary, just like audiences found Arch Hall more annoying than someone the girls would go crazy for. Justifiably forgotten, no reason to see it, wish "MST3K" had riffed it. Hah! Heh heh heh!!!!
August 5, 2015
A bore and a chore to get through. I would have turned it off if it wasn't for Arch Hall Jr.'s hilarious acting.
October 14, 2014
The first film based on a real-life serial killer.
½ December 4, 2013
Starts off kind of dull, and there really isn't much to the plot, but it takes suspense and eeriness to a new level. There are times when it seems slow, yet it manages to be interesting and hard to ignore. Decent characters, hardly any predictability, and a worthy ending. Worth a check out.
October 9, 2013
Underrated low-budget thriller. Arch Hall Jr.'s performance ranks among the best movie psychos.
½ June 29, 2013
Watched this one off the To-Watch Pile before listening to a podcast review it, and it's a tense little watch, though Arch Hall's creepy gurning from start to finish mostly made me wanna hit him with a shovel, because holy shit does he sell the annoying assholish nature of his character. Loosely based on the story of Charles Starkweather, it's a lesser seen gem that's worth tracking down.

Rental?
March 19, 2013
The most suspenseful movie Ive seen. Arch Hall does a oscar deserving job playing a despicable monster. If only there would have been a hero like Clint Eastwood in this.
rubystevens
½ March 11, 2013
even lower budget than 'decoy' but it was shot by vilmos zsigmond, which might explain it's lingering effect. arch hall jr is creepy as hell. this is on youtube
February 11, 2013
Must have been shocking in its day and I'd be very surprised if this wasn't an influence on Rob Zombie's The Devil's Rejects. Brutal and unrelenting, the charm of it being a B movie is soon forgotten.
½ January 23, 2013
great film. It slowly grabs your interest until the events become riveting. The actors, screenplay, cinematography: all are in perfect balance. There is nothing corny or hackneyed during the development of the film and you actually care about the outcome.But the way the film is shot is sheer genius emphasizing the emotional impact of the scenes. You can call it a low budget film but as a viewer and lover of films you won't be short changed!
January 22, 2013
not bad low budget thriller.
October 22, 2012
An intense thriller that started a huge trend in horror that's more prominent today than ever, yet, most cannot match the skill of this low budget feature. Do not miss this!
May 18, 2012
Ninety-Five Minutes of Terror--Scorching Nihilism!!
½ May 18, 2012
Bought movie in anticipation of reliving the feelings that I had when I first saw it in the early "70's. Unfortunately the ending was not the same as originally remembered. New version is good, but the ending of the earlier movie is way more memorable. I won't spoil it for anyone by disclosing it.
½ February 3, 2012
The Sadist, this film is one of top-road-horror-films. Miserably sadist killer, who holds 3 people (all teachers from Southern California) at gun-point and starts to unleash his sadist approach to go free on them with his sick girlfriend likewise. Loved the misery of people at mercy of this vicious person.
366weirdmovies
½ March 27, 2011
Three schoolteachers are held hostage in a junkyard by a serial killer (based on Charles Starkweather). B-movie gem that alchemizes a greasy, over-the-top performance by failed teen idol Arch Hall, Jr. with a taut and tawdry script to produce masterful suspense.
½ March 16, 2011
An ok movie. Starts off really slow and picks up steam as the movie progresses to it's eventual escape climax.