Reviews

• Oct 21, 2015

A very dated and trivial Russian rendering of a Middle Eastern fable.

A very dated and trivial Russian rendering of a Middle Eastern fable.

• Nov 27, 2014

"Happiness is inside of us all"...definitely not in this piece of crap.

"Happiness is inside of us all"...definitely not in this piece of crap.

• Jan 23, 2014

Gave the MST3K presentation a spin, and while it's pretty hilarious, I have to wonder what the fuck these people were thinking with this film, y'know? They've got an ocean character riding around on what looks like a catfish, FFS?!? Very strange, but worth a rental.

• Nov 08, 2012

Like a lot of long forgotten films, The Magic Voyage of Sinbad is nowhere near as intriguing as its title promises it to be. It's not even about Sinbad, or at least the Sinbad that we all know. Instead we have this weird sailor guy who comes into town and tries to help them with their troubles. Amongst it all you have an undersea kingdom adventure, golden fish, fighting with a bear and dancing in the streets. The film is kind of warped, but it's also based loosely on a Russian play. It was filmed under the title Sadko and released in 1953, but was exported to the US in 1962 with a different cut and English overdubs. I haven't seen the original version, so I don't have an opinion about it one way or another, but this version of the movie is pretty terrible. It's probably the reason why it was on an episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000.

• Mar 11, 2012

First of all, it's not Sinbad. I really don't know who the character is, the film was just imported and changed to make it seem like a Sinbad film. The characters aren't too great and the story is boring, but there are some fun campy moments and decent effects, but it would be easier to watch on MST3K.

• Aug 19, 2011

Another American bastardization of a Ptushko work that makes it really stupid and confusing. (Not actually about Sinbad at all... the comedian or the sailor.)

• Jul 28, 2011

Sadko, a Russian opera made into a spectacle of special effects, music, and dance in 1952, is really quite silly. The bird lady, the bizarre underwater scene, random crazy Russian dancing, I guess you can call it a hysterical spectacle. And to see a more insane version, watch the English dubbed Roger Corman edit, which changes Sadko to "Sinbad", and looks nothing like Persia. Hilarious!

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    May 11, 2009

altho made in 1952 this seems as if a silent film from the grand old age somehow made with sound and color (which makes no sense i know). magic permeates this, the magic of childhood, the perception of childhood, the perception that believes in Christmas because NOT to believe was even worst than however foolish believing made one. a russian tale of adventure innocently yet stirringly told, of a journey (doh!), a little romance, some action, etc., etc., etc. !

• May 08, 2009

An oddly Scandinavian looking Sinbad. The first half of this movie is slow and uninspired. However, as soon as the underwater scenes start the movie picks up. The movie becomes funny, there are some great fish and octopus puppets, a seahorse chase, and even a surfing scene. Some of the jump cuts and plot holes might be explained by the fact that the old prints were damaged movie had to be edited together from different sources.

• May 02, 2009

this film is like the bird with the head of a lady found within it...mainly because both will put you to sleep. with that said, there's a certain charm about this movie that i can't quite put my finger on. it's pretty fun to make fun of the flick as you watch and the movie unintentionally gives you lots of opportunities to do so....like when sinbad gets a message via pigeon while he's under the sea. but anyway, it's an alright movie...but not really worthwhile unless you've got nothing else to watch.