Safe House - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Safe House Reviews

½ October 12, 2015
More enjoyable than "Training Day" as Washington performed nicer, almost to his usual self. With his performance - and a little of Reynolds' - and few thrills, this film never goes further down after being affected by some violent content and roughness defining choppy. (B)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording)
October 8, 2015
Half the film is ripped off The Rock, the other half is cobbled together from some left over 90's action movie script.
½ September 28, 2015
Director Espinosa quick-cuts the hell out of the action scenes, leaving Mr. Washington and Mr. Reynolds to carry the rather weak story (which they more or less do).
½ September 24, 2015
Don't waste your time
September 12, 2015
An average Denzel Washington vehicle not really helped much by the charming but listless Ryan Reynolds.
½ August 5, 2015
Why don't use your phone when they came, idiot !?
½ July 31, 2015
I expected more from this movie, but pretty good acting by Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds.
½ July 27, 2015
Denzel Washington & Ryan Reynolds have great chemistry together and the action is an A+ at least as it never stops from the first time it pops up. The title is a little strange though as the "Safe House" has a very minor role as it is not the main set piece here as the title may hint at but this is a very good movie with some great acting, a great story and as I said, great, non-stop action scenes. RECOMMENDED
July 22, 2015
A friend of mine said "Denzel Washington doesn't make a bad movie." I agree with him but this wasn't one of his better works. Denzel still has a great deal of charisma on screen and Ryan did a great job of creating a sympathetic character to play opposite Denzel. They came out and stated his prowess but considering he "rewrote the book" I expected more witty psychological skills to be displayed. There was a great balance of action and drama but there seemed to be a lack of development of the Frost character that would make me fear him more or make me more in awe of him. It was still an entertaining movie but it didn't live up to expectations considering the talent of its cast and the potential of the plot. The dark and gritty tone of the film style did fit the mood and added to the realism of action. Solid movie but doubt I will be buying it anytime soon.
July 16, 2015
Denzel tries to carry this one, but the bland, tension-free Reynolds sucks the life out of the whole thing.
I'm not sure if Reynolds was miscast or just not feeling it, but it sadly shows here.
Disappointing that the actors don't seem engaged fully in the action.
Decent script ends up falling into a formulaic slump by the end.
it's ok for a night when 'nothing else' is worth watching.
3 out of 5
July 11, 2015
Okay action thriller but lacks and depth
July 9, 2015
Lots of bang for buck. And no matter how many handguns there are...it's always time for some brawling...and we learn...the safest thing of a safe house is...its name
May 26, 2015
the story is ok, but Ryan Reynolds is the thickest CIA agent ever
½ May 19, 2015
Meh, not my enough suspense for me to keep watching
½ May 16, 2015
150516: Spy movie. Really, that's it. Some good action but a rather simple story.
½ April 27, 2015
The script is a generic piece of crap and the jerky camera is just too busy.Really doesn't matter who the actors are because they can't win here..
April 18, 2015
(55%)
A largely routine action movie that on the one hand has a pretty good cast with Washington elevating the movie with his usual brand of rock solid acting, with decent support from the likes of better than average Ryan Reynolds and Brendan Gleeson who's always worth keeping an eye on. But sadly on the other hand this is a messy directed, somewhat lazily written film that hampers the commitment of the cast. The South African setting though is nice and unique and a change of pace to Hollywood (not to mention it's a heck of a lot cheaper to shoot out there) but that aspect isn't enough to stop this from falling between the cracks and being just another action time passer.
½ March 27, 2015
Shitty ending. Shitty middle. Half shitty beginning.
½ March 26, 2015
always impressed with denzel but Ryan Reynolds impressed me too.
½ March 21, 2015
At times it seems the characters themselves have no idea why they're killing each other.