Safe House - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Safe House Reviews

August 3, 2016
Denzel is always great and Ryan Reynolds seems to get better with age, but who the hell edited this mess? It was almost irritating to watch especially with the grainy to clear picture quality. Although it was a worn out script if they hadn't edited with a Lawn Mower it would have been passable.
July 23, 2016
Up and down.. Down just edges it too unfortunately given the good ensemble cast.
July 9, 2016
Action packed with a twist. I plan to watch it again. Denzel and Reynolds do an outstanding job. I was exhausted after viewing it.. Very entertaining.
June 18, 2016
Thought this was awesome, relentless action throughout, story was intriguing enough, fan of the Bourne Series and the style of this was similar.
½ February 18, 2016
Safe House is just loud and lacking in plot.
jamrcla
January 30, 2016
A very under appreciated film that yes the script could of been abit better but Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds performance and pretty good action scenes make up for it, The story was good but kind of a missed opportunity, But still a good action thriller.
January 26, 2016
Safe House is very slick and well directed and can boast being the only Ryan Reynolds film I've seen and liked so far. Story-wise, there ain't nothing new here but it passed the time suitably on my 12 hour flight home from Thailand. Looking forward to seeing more from Daniel Espinosa.
December 19, 2015
Not too shabby. Not fantastic. But the vibes are decent. Ryan Reynolds and Denzel Washington are a great duo and put on fantastic performances
½ December 17, 2015
Instead of Denzel Washington, it is Ryan Reynolds whom you will remember. That's because he got the juicier role: Lots of inner conflicts, fear and questions in his head. His life has an upside down change too. The hand to hand combat is delicious to watch. All the hand held camera takes are a distraction and adds nothing to the movie experience. The plot can best be considered as passable because you really have to be sleeping if you have not guessed the outcome.
½ December 5, 2015
Simply uninteresting. Characters outside of Denzel are all stock characters. Shaky cam throughout all the action scenes make it feel like one of Taken sequels. It's starts off as something like Assault on Precinct 13, and then you just stop caring.
Skip it
October 29, 2015
Tobin Frost (Denzel) played a great role, but the supporting cast didn't fit movie scheme
½ October 12, 2015
More enjoyable than "Training Day" as Washington performed nicer, almost to his usual self. With his performance - and a little of Reynolds' - and few thrills, this film never goes further down after being affected by some violent content and roughness defining choppy. (B)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording)
October 8, 2015
Half the film is ripped off The Rock, the other half is cobbled together from some left over 90's action movie script.
½ September 28, 2015
Director Espinosa quick-cuts the hell out of the action scenes, leaving Mr. Washington and Mr. Reynolds to carry the rather weak story (which they more or less do).
½ September 24, 2015
Don't waste your time
September 12, 2015
An average Denzel Washington vehicle not really helped much by the charming but listless Ryan Reynolds.
½ August 5, 2015
Why don't use your phone when they came, idiot !?
½ July 31, 2015
I expected more from this movie, but pretty good acting by Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds.
½ July 27, 2015
Denzel Washington & Ryan Reynolds have great chemistry together and the action is an A+ at least as it never stops from the first time it pops up. The title is a little strange though as the "Safe House" has a very minor role as it is not the main set piece here as the title may hint at but this is a very good movie with some great acting, a great story and as I said, great, non-stop action scenes. RECOMMENDED
July 22, 2015
A friend of mine said "Denzel Washington doesn't make a bad movie." I agree with him but this wasn't one of his better works. Denzel still has a great deal of charisma on screen and Ryan did a great job of creating a sympathetic character to play opposite Denzel. They came out and stated his prowess but considering he "rewrote the book" I expected more witty psychological skills to be displayed. There was a great balance of action and drama but there seemed to be a lack of development of the Frost character that would make me fear him more or make me more in awe of him. It was still an entertaining movie but it didn't live up to expectations considering the talent of its cast and the potential of the plot. The dark and gritty tone of the film style did fit the mood and added to the realism of action. Solid movie but doubt I will be buying it anytime soon.