Safe House - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Safe House Reviews

December 19, 2015
Not too shabby. Not fantastic. But the vibes are decent. Ryan Reynolds and Denzel Washington are a great duo and put on fantastic performances
½ December 17, 2015
Instead of Denzel Washington, it is Ryan Reynolds whom you will remember. That's because he got the juicier role: Lots of inner conflicts, fear and questions in his head. His life has an upside down change too. The hand to hand combat is delicious to watch. All the hand held camera takes are a distraction and adds nothing to the movie experience. The plot can best be considered as passable because you really have to be sleeping if you have not guessed the outcome.
½ December 5, 2015
Simply uninteresting. Characters outside of Denzel are all stock characters. Shaky cam throughout all the action scenes make it feel like one of Taken sequels. It's starts off as something like Assault on Precinct 13, and then you just stop caring.
Skip it
October 29, 2015
Tobin Frost (Denzel) played a great role, but the supporting cast didn't fit movie scheme
½ October 12, 2015
More enjoyable than "Training Day" as Washington performed nicer, almost to his usual self. With his performance - and a little of Reynolds' - and few thrills, this film never goes further down after being affected by some violent content and roughness defining choppy. (B)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording)
October 8, 2015
Half the film is ripped off The Rock, the other half is cobbled together from some left over 90's action movie script.
½ September 28, 2015
Director Espinosa quick-cuts the hell out of the action scenes, leaving Mr. Washington and Mr. Reynolds to carry the rather weak story (which they more or less do).
½ September 24, 2015
Don't waste your time
September 12, 2015
An average Denzel Washington vehicle not really helped much by the charming but listless Ryan Reynolds.
½ August 5, 2015
Why don't use your phone when they came, idiot !?
½ July 31, 2015
I expected more from this movie, but pretty good acting by Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds.
½ July 27, 2015
Denzel Washington & Ryan Reynolds have great chemistry together and the action is an A+ at least as it never stops from the first time it pops up. The title is a little strange though as the "Safe House" has a very minor role as it is not the main set piece here as the title may hint at but this is a very good movie with some great acting, a great story and as I said, great, non-stop action scenes. RECOMMENDED
July 22, 2015
A friend of mine said "Denzel Washington doesn't make a bad movie." I agree with him but this wasn't one of his better works. Denzel still has a great deal of charisma on screen and Ryan did a great job of creating a sympathetic character to play opposite Denzel. They came out and stated his prowess but considering he "rewrote the book" I expected more witty psychological skills to be displayed. There was a great balance of action and drama but there seemed to be a lack of development of the Frost character that would make me fear him more or make me more in awe of him. It was still an entertaining movie but it didn't live up to expectations considering the talent of its cast and the potential of the plot. The dark and gritty tone of the film style did fit the mood and added to the realism of action. Solid movie but doubt I will be buying it anytime soon.
July 16, 2015
Denzel tries to carry this one, but the bland, tension-free Reynolds sucks the life out of the whole thing.
I'm not sure if Reynolds was miscast or just not feeling it, but it sadly shows here.
Disappointing that the actors don't seem engaged fully in the action.
Decent script ends up falling into a formulaic slump by the end.
it's ok for a night when 'nothing else' is worth watching.
3 out of 5
July 11, 2015
Okay action thriller but lacks and depth
July 9, 2015
Lots of bang for buck. And no matter how many handguns there are...it's always time for some brawling...and we learn...the safest thing of a safe house is...its name
May 26, 2015
the story is ok, but Ryan Reynolds is the thickest CIA agent ever
½ May 19, 2015
Meh, not my enough suspense for me to keep watching
½ May 16, 2015
150516: Spy movie. Really, that's it. Some good action but a rather simple story.
½ April 27, 2015
The script is a generic piece of crap and the jerky camera is just too busy.Really doesn't matter who the actors are because they can't win here..