Safety Not Guaranteed - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Safety Not Guaranteed Reviews

August 15, 2016
Less laughs than I expected given the casting but works very well as a fun little sci-fi movie. I have no idea how Trevorrow went from this to Jurassic World to Star Wars IX though!
July 18, 2016
The title of this movie is the warning included in a strange advertisement that requests a partner for a time-travel journey. A reporter from a big Seattle newspaper convinces his boss that there is a story there. A story big enough for him to head to the small town and also enlist the help two interns; an nerdy Indian, and a antisocial girl (our protagonist, played by Aubrey Plaza). After the reporter fails to establish himself as a potential time-travel buddy, it is the quirky girl's turn, and sure enough, her odd ways click with our mad scientist (our second protagonist, who works at a super market).

Aubrey plaza plays exactly the same character she plays in the early seasons of Parks and Recreation. For those you who haven't watched it (shame on you, please do) she is an eye-rolling, constant-sighing, late teen, who dismisses everything and everyone. A pretty endearing character (if you give her a chance).

After our protagonists' initial click, he slowly begins to trust her and reveals to her fragments of his time-traveling plan. She in turn becomes engrossed with the plan (and him). Their escapades bring laughter, but for some reason the movie decides to make her fall for him, and it feels weird and forced.

As the plan (and the movie) progresses, we get to laugh a lot and also wonder what's the guy's real deal; is he a harmless weirdo, or a misunderstood genius? Unfortunately, between the good scenes there is a lot of fat; apart from the forced romance, we have the subplot of the successful outside / empty inside reporter, and as a form of triteness apotheosis, the scenes where the nerdy guy must score. The bad news continue; the climax lacks bite, and the creepy plot-twist is simply ignored in order to achieve a happy ending with a (superficial) bang.

You will get a fair share of laughs and a couple of heart-warming scenes, but nothing more. 6.0/10.
½ July 12, 2016
"Safety Not Guaranteed" has an interesting concept and commits its focus onto its plot that benefits from strong performances from the cast who portray characters with depth and multiple dimensions, and manages to be heartfelt through character development.
½ July 12, 2016
Sci-fi lo-fi. Odd but endearing and a good showcase for Aubrey Plaza.
June 6, 2016
At times the story might get side tracked by other characters. And the ending seemed a bit rushed, and I had a difficult time believing the two men in suits were government agents because of how unprofessional they were. But I definitely enjoyed the film overall, slow paced romance with a sense of wonder...can this man go back in time?
½ May 29, 2016
There was something about this that kind of appealed. A guy puts an advert in a local paper about wanting to find someone to go back in time with him. Obviously this is bogus right so a local journalist team decides to interview him and the more they unravel he could be telling the truth that he really has built a time machine
May 24, 2016
fresh and light, with a lot of heart and magic.
½ May 12, 2016
With a killer premise, a witty personality, and an infectiously endearing heart at its center, "Safety Not Guaranteed" not only represents a lynchpin moment in the careers of both Aubrey Plaza and Mark Duplass, but the start of an explosively interesting career from Colin Trevorrow.
May 9, 2016
You don't really want to be anyone in this movie because they all kind of suck, but it's about hope and about being willing to have really big dreams and most of us don't have that, so to be honest at the end we'd all probably swap places with Darius (Plaza). Only partially because of all of her good jokes. I wish I could tell good jokes.
½ May 3, 2016
One of that movies I don't even know how I found, and I don't also know why I didn't review at the time I watched it. Well...what a pity, because on a movie like this I surely had some interesting thoughts, and considering I write this reviews more for me than for the others, it's bad I didn't put them on paper. Anyway, an incredible sci-fi movie, with a story that you will surely enjoy if you like the genre.
May 2, 2016
If you don't cry at the end you are a sociopath. Just saying.
½ April 23, 2016
Quirky. It's all the rave. Aubrey Plaza is quirky. Safety Not Guaranteed is really quirky. It's a quirk-fest. And I think that's why it gets a lot of great reviews. Quirky is in and to be anti-quirky would be quirky. The movie is based on an interesting concept, Plaza manages being good looking and quirky at the same time (a rare feat), and it's an interesting approach to a rom-com, but it's all very...quirky. And for those who love quirky, they'll love this movie. I'm anti-quirky. I'm anti-too long to get to the point quirky. So...that's that.
½ April 16, 2016
Really great and quirky indie rom-com movie!
April 11, 2016
Safety Not Guaranteed is such a good, stupendous movie. It does have its flaws as its subplot isn't that well realized, but this is mostly such an authentic movie not only in its weird story, but also in its crazy mix of comedy, science fiction and romance. But that mix honestly works and the film is not only riveting and funny, but it also has a big heart, it is very unpredictable and it's such an admirably original indie flick.
½ April 9, 2016
When we must get in deep with those whom are too deep for 1 person to understand whether they are normal or we are normal. When we all are deep minded when we look back on our life when we self realize that we were once socially awkward, alone and abnormal from the crowd.
We naturally adapt to those whom are awkward, when we are more deeper then they are and naturally know what they are going through. Self submerge ourselves in this awkwardness, mimicking and gaining trust with what we know, yet there is much more that we don't know.
When we get into deep to getting even deeper in trouble. When we just don't understand or know what's going on when somethings just come out of the dark, or light when we doing something bizarre or thinking something that makes us do something to change the past for our future. When we all don't know where everything went so wrong, to wishing we went in time to change it so we don't fall victim to our current dismissal life.
When getting into deep we know how to stay back and know only a few can get into deep we can trust, to not jeopardize this thought and idea. While some don't get into deep or involved with all of this craziness but we understand the heart wants what the heart wants. The mind wants what the mind wants.
Sometimes we never get what we want. A memory forever stored and never unearthed. Some moments are meant to remain still and others that are meant to remain constant. Are we crazy to think that someone could think and do so much for us that when we are crazy in love. When we search so deep for something when there is something staring us in the face with the same yearning for intimacy. What changes when what society distinguishes us to be that we care more about that puts the socially awkwardness in our mind.
½ February 23, 2016
The horrible ending takes off half a star in what was otherwise a relatively harmless and well-done indie film. The characters are all interesting at times, and all dull at others.
½ February 17, 2016
Used the term retards in the first 10 minutes. Lost me then, so I didn't continue watching. It's 2016. Stop using this term.
February 13, 2016
Great film. Definitely worth a watch.
February 12, 2016
Really good! Something different.