Salem's Lot - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Salem's Lot Reviews

May 11, 2017
In its full-length two part format this movie was very much a talking point on its original airing. Spooky and unsettling at the time, for a TV movie this was very affecting and memorable.

The edited down, shorter movie version loses at least one key moment and it's impact is lessened to some degree. My rating is for the full version.
½ May 9, 2017
Apparently this was a mini-series, so that's why this felt so dragged out at 3 hours. I know of the book because one of the characters is also in the Dark Tower series, so I sorta knew the background ahead of watching this. Basically it's Stephen King does a vampire story and I can't say it's all that compelling(or scary). Maybe some things were changed from the book is my guess, but there's just no way this should have been a 3 hour long movie. Boring for the most part, but it's not as boring as some Academy Award winning movies I've seen. Meh.
February 18, 2017
Pretty fine all the way around for what it is. Would love to see an updated version.
December 30, 2016
Salems lot the original
½ December 28, 2016
Pretty cool King adaptation. The TV limitations don't affect it as much as one would assume. A little overlong though.
October 23, 2016
Surprisingly creepy and well made, Salem's Lot manages to feel more like a theatrical film than a made for tv movie from the 70s. Hooper piles on the atmosphere to make up for the lack of Gore, and it works in the film's favor. Overall, this is an entertaining film that's well worth the watch. 4 stars
October 16, 2016
This is a pretty decent made-for-tv movie based on Stephen King's novel. I just watched it for the first time and quite enjoyed it, but I lived the book so I was a little disappointed. I watched the 3hr version that was just released on blu-ray. I was surprised and happy to see James mason in this. The film has a few good scares, the vampire is pretty creepy, and done in the style of Nosferatu. Tobe Hooper("Poltergeist", "Texas Chainsaw Massacre") directed this, and does a decent job, I also liked the score. Worth a watch for genre or King fans.
October 13, 2016
A little better than It. Like that one, it still feels overlong though. Book adaptations don't need to be this long. Leave shit out, who cares?
½ October 11, 2016
Salem's Lot freaked me out as a kid. When I watched this, I was home alone on Halloween night with all the lights off. Now that's how you should spend your Halloween night.

However, Salem's Lot dose have it's slow moments that kinda dragged the run time for me, but it's still a pretty effective and horrifying TV movie that still gets to me today.
October 9, 2016
There was no better decade for horror movies than the 1970's, and not just on the big screen. A handful of surprisingly scary and well-made TV movies populated the decade, and perhaps none was better than Salem's Lot. Director Tobe Hooper's adaptation of the Stephen King novel about vampires taking over a small New England town remains one of the best films based on King's work. Salem's Lot succeeds for a number of reasons...Hooper's ability to build suspense, a terrific cast, plenty of atmosphere and a smart script that thankfully stays true to the source material. Of course, being on television means having to leave out the more horrific elements, but the three hour running time means we get to see a lot more character development. The performances are solid, the vampires are creepy as hell, and it's further proof you don't need blood and guts to make a great horror movie.
½ September 16, 2016
A powerhouse of a tv mini series that turns out even better than King's classic novel. It is far better than 90% of horror cinema with tons of inventiveness and scares. Has stood the test of time better than most of its contemporaries.
½ September 8, 2016
I wish Mr. Barlow weren't such a one-dimensional character, but although its three hours may feel a bit too long for the kind of story it wants to tell, this is a decent TV movie that relies on an engaging mystery and takes a careful time to develop it in a satisfying way.
February 13, 2016
The film starts out quite vague with an aura of mystery surrounding its characters and events, and the slow pace only enhances the almost hypnotizing quality of it. The fact that this is a three-hour TV movie thus works to the film's advantage, even if admittedly the film could've easily been edited down to about two hours or so and maybe thus could've been even more impactful without all the unnecessary padding around its main plot points. But even if actual scares and monsters are used sparingly, when they are used they are genuinely creepy and startling. The main vampire of the film is without a doubt the greatest and most terrifying vampire I have ever seen in a film, and the eventual first reveal of him is quite possibly the single most startling jump scare I have ever been subjected to while watching a film. It comes out of fucking nowhere, and I was shaking and giggling from the adrenaline rush of it hours afterwards. If I were to make a list of what I think are the scariest films ever made, that jump scare and the vampires alone would grant Salem's Lot a spot on my list alongside films like The Exorcist and Halloween.

8-/10
½ November 16, 2015
I dont mind overlong but this is slushing through for about 40 minutes too many. The vampires.... are truly hilarious. Theres a late 70's rural quaintness though that charmed me. And bits of old classic horror. But thats about it.
September 26, 2015
One of my faves! The 1979 mini series version is awesome even now!
September 25, 2015
Love this movie! It has to be one of Stephen King's best adaptions of his horror genius.
September 17, 2015
Way too long at three hours, definitely could have cut the first third. With that said, actually good with scary moments for a film made in the 1970s.
½ June 14, 2015
The kid at the window is still one of the best scenes in horror.
½ May 20, 2015
(50%)
For a TV movie this is worthy of at least some acclaim as it is quite a well made piece, but the fact remains all too clear: it's way too damn long. There's a fair bit to like here from the decent cast right though to the generally good direction and decent scares, but when your 90 minute horror flick elapses even biblical epics then something is not quite right. There's some memorable scenes here, and some impressively crafted sections, but the scenes of David Soul trying the very best he possibly could in closing the stupid doors to his Jeep have always somehow always stood out in my mind as oddly very funny. If you have three hours to kill this is by far not a terrible way to spend it, and this is one of the better horror TV movies ever, but three hours is a long, long time.