Salem's Lot - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Salem's Lot Reviews

September 11, 2017
THIS is the story I compare all other vampire stories to. My favorite 'monster' of all time, lives in this film: Kurt Barlow.
½ September 10, 2017
Being a vampire movie is risky stuff, but this movie does it perfectly. Being a very long movie, this enchanting tale is violent, scary (in ways), and still manged to be PG. That last one should be an awarded.
September 3, 2017
This movie... is Scary. As. Hell.
½ August 5, 2017
One of the better adaptations of King's work, Salem's Lot is still mired by the made-for-TV budget and censorship. Never-the-less Salem's Lot still manages to keep up a dark and unnerving atmosphere and gives one of the most memorable Vampire masters ever set to screen.
½ July 6, 2017
Creepy and atmospheric TV movie is a gem in the vampire genre. Those spooky eyes and stare you won't forget.
June 6, 2017
Nothing pretty here with these vampires - they are pure evil. Great cast, sets and make up.
May 30, 2017
I really did not enjoy this film. I love vampire stories and I loved the book but this just did not do anything for me. The pacing is bad (due to being a TV mini series) , the acting is bad, the writing is bad and they lost track of what made the book fun to read. Very disappointed.
May 11, 2017
In its full-length two part format this movie was very much a talking point on its original airing. Spooky and unsettling at the time, for a TV movie this was very affecting and memorable.

The edited down, shorter movie version loses at least one key moment and it's impact is lessened to some degree. My rating is for the full version.
½ May 9, 2017
Apparently this was a mini-series, so that's why this felt so dragged out at 3 hours. I know of the book because one of the characters is also in the Dark Tower series, so I sorta knew the background ahead of watching this. Basically it's Stephen King does a vampire story and I can't say it's all that compelling(or scary). Maybe some things were changed from the book is my guess, but there's just no way this should have been a 3 hour long movie. Boring for the most part, but it's not as boring as some Academy Award winning movies I've seen. Meh.
February 18, 2017
Pretty fine all the way around for what it is. Would love to see an updated version.
December 30, 2016
Salems lot the original
½ December 28, 2016
Pretty cool King adaptation. The TV limitations don't affect it as much as one would assume. A little overlong though.
October 23, 2016
Surprisingly creepy and well made, Salem's Lot manages to feel more like a theatrical film than a made for tv movie from the 70s. Hooper piles on the atmosphere to make up for the lack of Gore, and it works in the film's favor. Overall, this is an entertaining film that's well worth the watch. 4 stars
October 16, 2016
This is a pretty decent made-for-tv movie based on Stephen King's novel. I just watched it for the first time and quite enjoyed it, but I lived the book so I was a little disappointed. I watched the 3hr version that was just released on blu-ray. I was surprised and happy to see James mason in this. The film has a few good scares, the vampire is pretty creepy, and done in the style of Nosferatu. Tobe Hooper("Poltergeist", "Texas Chainsaw Massacre") directed this, and does a decent job, I also liked the score. Worth a watch for genre or King fans.
October 13, 2016
A little better than It. Like that one, it still feels overlong though. Book adaptations don't need to be this long. Leave shit out, who cares?
½ October 11, 2016
Salem's Lot freaked me out as a kid. When I watched this, I was home alone on Halloween night with all the lights off. Now that's how you should spend your Halloween night.

However, Salem's Lot dose have it's slow moments that kinda dragged the run time for me, but it's still a pretty effective and horrifying TV movie that still gets to me today.
October 9, 2016
There was no better decade for horror movies than the 1970's, and not just on the big screen. A handful of surprisingly scary and well-made TV movies populated the decade, and perhaps none was better than Salem's Lot. Director Tobe Hooper's adaptation of the Stephen King novel about vampires taking over a small New England town remains one of the best films based on King's work. Salem's Lot succeeds for a number of reasons...Hooper's ability to build suspense, a terrific cast, plenty of atmosphere and a smart script that thankfully stays true to the source material. Of course, being on television means having to leave out the more horrific elements, but the three hour running time means we get to see a lot more character development. The performances are solid, the vampires are creepy as hell, and it's further proof you don't need blood and guts to make a great horror movie.
½ September 16, 2016
A powerhouse of a tv mini series that turns out even better than King's classic novel. It is far better than 90% of horror cinema with tons of inventiveness and scares. Has stood the test of time better than most of its contemporaries.
½ September 8, 2016
I wish Mr. Barlow weren't such a one-dimensional character, but although its three hours may feel a bit too long for the kind of story it wants to tell, this is a decent TV movie that relies on an engaging mystery and takes a careful time to develop it in a satisfying way.