Salem's Lot Reviews

• Aug 21, 2019

Best Stephen King's film since Carrie and Tobe Hooper the director of the independent cult slasher horror film The Texas Chainsaw Massacre did a magnificent work to build terror,intention,horror and great cast.

• Jul 02, 2019

Salem's Lot could have been tighter and less tiring had a major studio picked it up, but under the realm of made for television horror this 3 hour extravaganza of small town life, ghosts and vampires remains one of the finest examples of pure quality filmmaking to reach television in the '70's, supplied with rich performances, a well adapted script, and Hooper's skill for building dread and chilling sequences, this classic TV gem slowly builds up a plot that feels familiar, but handled with precision and extreme creepiness, making it one of (or the best) TV horror miniseries, as well as one of King's most accurate and frightening adaptations.

• Jun 30, 2019

Truly one of the more terrifying vampire films/mini series to date. Age does not matter. This film still scares me and everyone I show it to. The vampires in this King adaptation are some of the creepiest to date. They are zombie like,demon like and pure evil. The make-up is first rate. Great sets and atmosphere. The scenes of the Glick boy vampires scratching at the windows, are the most iconic ever. The Marsten house is a truly haunting creation. All performances are great. This is def my favorite of all time just above Fright Night. Hope the casting is perfect for the new adaptation and James Wan handles the novel with care.

• Jan 28, 2019

Great Stephen King mini-series, although the climax did sort of lose me.

Great Stephen King mini-series, although the climax did sort of lose me.

• Oct 30, 2018

It's all about the window scenes. I remember first seeing it on TV as a series in the early 1980's when I was 15yo and my gang of friends all watched it and would talk about it on the bus to school. Funny that I often hear the boy floating to the window looked like peoples best friend when you they were a kid. He looked like my best friend too and me and him use to whisper "open the window....you're my best friend...open the window and let me in" to each other sometimes when no-one could hear us. And we just had this look in our eyes when we did it that went sort of deep, that we both knew that if one of us appeared at each the others bedroom window like that and knew the other has become a vampire....that we would open the window and let him in and offer our neck and let the other bite us even if we knew it would kill us. I knew I wouldn't resist and would openly let him bite me, take my blood and kill.me. But even more we both knew we wanted to be like that and go drinking other boys blood at night. It never happened haha but thats how powerful that scene was. I think about it only every couple of years but it takes me back to that feeling everytime strongly and then I push the memory away. Salems Lot was a boys film/series. It made us want to secretly become vampires. That shows it was powerful at the time and that so many of us still remember it and the feeling of goosebumps and that hair raising feeling on our skin that moves around on our body and that unexplained feeling in our stomach of fear, and wanting to let that boy in at the same time. fearing it and wanting it to happen and remebering that after all these years. great scenes.

• Sep 23, 2018

Extremely long (over 3 hrs). The scares aren't there anymore but its still a decent story. It hasn't aged very well.

• Sep 09, 2018

Best vampire movie ever. Simple as that

Best vampire movie ever. Simple as that

• Aug 23, 2018

One of the best vampire movies

One of the best vampire movies

• May 19, 2018

Undoubtedly more effective when chopped up into 2 or even 3 parts and shown separately, Salem's Lot is a slog when watched from start to finish, but that's not to say its not without its merits. The quiet moments are often the creepiest, and while the score has an annoying habit of rearing its head when unneeded, it can be effective when used correctly. The performances are good and while it's a very slow burner, when things get going you can feel the growing sense of paranoia that begins to grip the community. The characters, as they often do in horror movies, frequently making bafflingly stupid decisions and lose all survival instincts at several crucial moments. But they're played sincerely enough that you care about what happens to them, even if some of their exits are abrupt and unresolved. Not a film I'd rush back to, but one I still had a good time watching.

• Mar 19, 2018

So a Stephen King movie, in which a writer is the hero? Drink! It's surprising what we found horrifying in the 1970s. I saw this as a kid and it freaked me out. Watching it again was honestly boring. I would say it was "writerly", in that the 3 hour running time spends needless scene after scene establishing unnecessary character or environmental details, and then are never visited again or thrown away with the characters corpses. You just can't fully establish and develop 20 characters in a horror movie...if it's going to move at any kind of pace, sometimes the fodder needs to be treated just as that.