Salmon Fishing in the Yemen - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen Reviews

January 23, 2016
McGregor and Blunt are wonderful in this fairly standard romantic development. Scott Thomas provides most of the laughs in a hilarious performance.
½ December 27, 2015
Worth a rental. Ewan McGregor is always great.
½ December 25, 2015
Ewan y Emily son encantadores y románticos, de eso no hay duda. La historia es funcional aunque en ocasiones es tediosa seguirla. Su premisa es curiosa y poco común lo que la hace interesante y digna de ver.
½ December 15, 2015
When there is a will, there is a way. Fine performances from Ewan McGregor and Emily Blunt.
October 29, 2015
Kristin Scott Thomas is hilarious.
½ October 11, 2015
beautiful story about fishing and three people. Heart-warming story.
½ August 15, 2015
A love story, at the end of the day. A good one.
August 9, 2015
The film is a beautiful ... and very stretched thin ... metaphor. But Ewen is always delightful, and I never felt we we swimming upstream. So the rather obvious flow just keeps us the orchestrated, but a tad miraculous, journey.
July 13, 2015
Creative and engaging story...
June 22, 2015
I'm not quite sure why this film received Golden Globe buzz. It's an impossible task and a questionable romance (her boyfriend is MIA in Afghanistan and she's crying on Ewan's shoulder? Could she be any less likable?) twisted together. Classifying it as a comedy is a stretch. The one highlight was snotty Kristin Scott Thomas.
½ June 14, 2015
Ok film, a business idea with romance lightly driven through the plot. A few twists at the end in the last half hour which I wasnt expecting. I found it a little dull apart from that.
June 14, 2015
Not reading the book had no impact on my enjoyment of this film. Probably wouldn't have liked it had I done so. 1st glance I was getting the Love Actually mob. I was expecting Bill Neighy to make an appearance. I like Ewan McGregor's Asperger's character. Not so sure about the Kristin Scott Thomas's Cruela DeVille character. OTT. I found it very cliché that once in Yemen we are immediately given a sinister portrayal of the people that want to harm the sheikh, who in my opinion was the highlight for me in this film. Even surpassing the beautiful Emily Blunt. He was so deep and charming the way only a prince could be.
June 11, 2015
Light-hearted, unchallenging, a little silly, but still a delightful way to spend 2 hours
½ June 9, 2015
a fair read made into a good movie
June 7, 2015
Delightful film - charming rather than laugh out loud funny (though I did watch it on my own on iPlayer). I am not sure why it has taken me so long to get round to watching it. Ewan McGregor is brilliant.
June 1, 2015
Ewan McGregor and Emily Blunt combine in 'Salmon Fishing in the Yemen'. Certainly an odd premise, the movie tells the tale of one mans ambition to bring water, life and most importantly salmon to the oil country of Yemen. Unsurprisingly the writers have to bring some other components into the storyline to bulk it out, but these I did not mind too much. The romantic elements were reasonable, although this was primarily down to our two leads that I think gave good performances. An attempt at humour is regularly made, although only sometimes succeeds. Whilst the involvement of angry locals provides the finale, I felt as though this was brought upon slightly too abruptly. There was very little mention of this threat throughout the movie, meaning it just looked as though the writers needed a way of ending it. Otherwise a perfectly acceptable watch.
½ May 22, 2015
Quirky fun that occasionally suffers from being too cheesy.
May 11, 2015
A different setting for romantic comedy and it works. A british government fisheries officer is put on to an absurd situation by the publicity seeking pm's press relation officer of breeding Salmon in Yemen for a Sheikh on request by consultant ( Emily Blunt). What forms the later part of the story is very uncanny romance and friendship between Sheikh and Fisheries expert. ( Ewan Mcgreror). A sweet and quirky film. But A must watch.
½ May 6, 2015
Funny romantic comedy!
May 2, 2015
Surprisingly good, tender and funny with a bit of heartache.