Salvation Boulevard - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Salvation Boulevard Reviews

January 18, 2014
So glad I watched the film before reading the reviews. Especially touching was the bewilderment that a lost soul trying to find some path (Greg Kinnear) when faced with hypocrisy, corruption and outright lies. It was refreshing to find a charismatic preacher (Pierce Brosnan) who actually seems to believe what he says, or has nearly convinced himself. The rest of the cast deserved more fully developed characters, with that this might have been a truly exceptional comedy.
January 12, 2014
A funny, but less than hilarious, satire of evangelical religious leaders and their megachurch followers. An excellent cast all do a fine job in their roles but perhaps the targets of the humor are simply too easy for it to be as funny as I would have hoped. Not great but enjoyable.
Harlequin68
½ November 27, 2013
"Salvation Boulevard" starts with a debate between noted atheist intellectual Peter Blaylock(Ed Harris) and Pastor Dan Day(Pierce Brosnan) of the Third Millennium Church. After the show, Peter and Dan have a drink in Peter's office where Dan accidentally shoots Peter with an antique gun, which is witnessed by Carl(Greg Kinnear), one of Dan's followers. While Dan seeks to cover it up before having a terrible experience watching a Tom Cruise movie, Carl tries to do the right thing which leads Jerry(Jim Gaffigan) to try to go old testament on him.

"Salvation Boulevard" is a frustrating near miss that a game cast does what it can with sketchily drawn characters but to no avail. Evangelical religion is such low hanging fruit these days that one has to really work at it to have something new to say, and a multiplex showing religious films will just not cut it. And you know you're in trouble when the best laugh of the entire movie and perhaps the only true one comes in the endnotes.
½ October 31, 2013
A decent effort to parody the myriad of church organisations and their devotees in bible-belt land. Pierce Brosnan gets the sleaze level just about right for his pastor and although its not belly-laugh funny its joyful enough to see the lengths the array of characters go to to protect their leader. That said the story is all over the place at times and could have been directed better than it is.
August 8, 2013
An open mind movie for open mind people (not fan/freak) based on a book of the same name. It has black/dark comedy, a bit of blood/violence (kind of comical) and a very twisted ending. Is worth the watch if you are bored or need some 7th Art inspiration on this genre. - 3 stars of 5 (sometimes is slow and the score is very saint...not my taste of music).

August 8, 2013 (review).
July 28, 2013
I thought this was funny, certainly not the 25% rating on Flixster.... but it is formulaic and the anti religious undertones probably put a lot of people off. In any case this is a solid dark comedy though it does not stand out in any special way.
July 14, 2013
I was expecting so much more - was hoping this was one of those hidden gems -- I was wrong...
½ May 28, 2013
A complete waste of its all star cast.
May 19, 2013
Dull comedy about a born again Christian who gets involved in a messy attempted murder. Hardly raises a titter and the whole plot has no clear directio
May 4, 2013
strangely strange but oddly normal?At least the hero became a Deadhead again.
May 1, 2013
It's very strange but it's ok
April 28, 2013
Short, funny, lighthearted.
SC007
½ April 2, 2013
The film was a bit of a mess. They had a good idea for a film but didn't execute it correctly. The film needed a rewrite. I felt some of the actors were miscast, like Greg Kinnear.
DrStrangeblog
½ March 19, 2013
Consensus seems to be "Great cast, not much else." I disagree! With the second part, that is.

I don't think audiences (and critics) missed the point, but I think they might have been in the wrong frame of mind. It's a dark comedy that finds its humor in the situations rather than sight gags. I wasn't laughing outwardly very often but I was grinning inwardly as ex-Deadhead Carl (Greg Kinnear) witnesses his personal savior, popular pastor Dan Day (Pierce Brosnan), accidentally shoot his intellectual rival Dr. Paul Blaylock (Ed Harris) and then attempt to cover it up as a suicide. Brosnan gives his finest performance I've seen as the charismatic church leader who convinces himself that the shooting is all part of God's plan and takes measures to ensure that no one learns the truth.

Supporting ladies Marisa Tomei and Jennifer Connelly are a lot of fun. Tomei is Honey, a former Deadhead-turned-campus security guard who has a kinship with Carl and becomes his confidant when his devout family cannot believe his story. That resistance is led by Connelly who once again does great work as Carl's wife by playing her as a straight arrow - she isn't playing for laughs but gets them anyway where designed (particularly the scene where she meets Honey on the roadside and has to be restrained by the police). I would really like to see how she performs in a broader comedic role, which is a field she has not really ventured into. Food for thought, Jen.

The script contains some sharp observations about religion, and it's not just about taking potshots either. The opening scene between Dan and Paul presents a fascinating 5 minutes, I could've watched them debate the presence or absence of God for a whole hour. So an excellent cast, quality script, and funny story amounts to a dark comedy horse that might surprise you. Have a little faith!
½ March 11, 2013
[An] enjoyable if simplistic black comedy loosely based on a novel by Larry Beinhart.
January 29, 2013
I guess I'm in the minority with this one but I laughed throughout this flick.
½ January 9, 2013
aMAZING HOW YOU CAN HAVE SUCH A TALENTED CAST AND RUIN A MOVIE. This movie went straight to dvd.
½ January 7, 2013
While not filled with as many laughs as it boasts, Salvation Boulevard is a superb dark comedy where everything just goes wrong.
November 16, 2012
What a waste of a great story idea. The concept was so promising. The beginning so enticing. Then about the time of the "kidnapping" the story fell apart and nary a laugh to be found. No payoff here. Skip it.