Same Kind of Different As Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Same Kind of Different As Me Reviews

April 13, 2018
As someone who actually works with homeless people, I want to highly recommend this movie. To make a true difference, it takes this kind of story...and not only that, it was a good movie!
½ March 24, 2018
Confusing and dull. "The Same Kind of Different as Me" offers no substance but it is sincere and thoughtful.
March 23, 2018
All the people saying that this film is too "cheesy" or "glib" etc. are unfortunately wrong, in my opinion. Honestly, I find it somewhat ironic that a movie involving the utter lack of compassion, understanding, and vulnerability of man and womankind alike would prompt reviews from people who clearly embody some of those exact qualities... if you open up your mind, heart, and soul ("cheesy" as that may be!) you will find this movie just as incredible as I do. Nothing is perfect, isn't that sorta the point?....we are all the same kind of different
March 21, 2018
I couldn't stop thinking about this movie and it's message. I kept talking to my family about it as it has a powerful thing to share. I can't wait to share this with others.
March 15, 2018
Quality Family Movie with great acting! A must watch!
March 13, 2018
The movie was based on a true story. The book was the true story. This is being taught in colleges as part of diversity. If you don't "get it" from this movie, you never will....
March 11, 2018
My wife and I thouroughly were touched by and APprEciated the messages of this movie. Given that this movie was based on a truE story made it even more impactful. Not surprising that the movie critics ( with tHeir own agendas) got it wrong again.
March 10, 2018
WE NEED more movies like this one. a movie that tells a story worth remembering. and some very fine acting.
March 10, 2018
Shockingly decent movie. DijMon is just an overAll good actor.
March 8, 2018
The cRitics have this one wrong. Great movie and it will challenge you to live a live of purpose
February 24, 2018
The critics are nuts or biased. This is a GREAT film, period.
February 24, 2018
Didnt know to the end that it was a true story. i see what the critics are so critical of. but 9 out of 10 liking it says the core it true.
February 22, 2018
A great movie middle America. Wholesome viewing illustrating how God can change the hearts of men.
Good to see some top tier actors coming out for PureFlix.
February 8, 2018
We loved this, reminder that God sees differently than we do.
February 1, 2018
A very powerful movie that I definitely recommend, the critics reviews are bad because it isn't put together well, but don't be fooled...great drama.
January 28, 2018
This movie was outstanding. The official critics you definitely can ignore. Very inspiring and so glad I went to see this movie. Loved it. Deserved a nomination. Too bad it did not get any or more advertising. LOVED it
January 23, 2018
These critics suck. This was a good movie with a good message. Meanwhile these idiot critics rated "get out " as a 99? This is a good underrated movie. Touching story and should have been rated better by these idiot critics.
January 8, 2018
Seriously, it doesn't surprise me at all that the heathens of this world would ever give this movie a bad review! It is an awesome Christian movie! Well written, with stellar actors and awesome writing! It's beautiful to see Hollyweird spend some good money on a movie with a Godly meaning! Worth the watch, might even change you :)
January 6, 2018
Movie Title:

Same Kind of Different As Me

Grade: B+

Rating: PG-13, 119 minutes

In a Nutshell: Based on a true story, this movie will make you want to do more for the homeless to let them know they're not alone or invisible.

Tips for parents:

Some profanity, including racist slurs.
Discussion of the Klu Klux Klan and racism.
After watching the film, you should talk to your kids about the homeless and maybe even plan a special service project to help the homeless in your city!

Uplifting theme:

"While the journey of the homeless may begin in a hopeless place, it didn't have to end there." - Ron Hall (Greg Kinnear)
"God is in the recycling business of turning trash into treasure." - Denver (Djimon Hounsou)
"Sometimes you just gotta bless the hell out of people." - Denver
"It's kind of incredible what a little love can do." - Chef Jim (Thomas Francis Murphy)

Things I liked:

Without the lead actors, it may have felt like just another sappy Christian movie, but the superb performances by Renee Zellweger, Greg Kinnear, Djimon Hounsou, and Jon Voight elevate it to so much more.
I liked Debbie's sweet, soft voice. What an angel she was.
I really liked the idea of "catch and release" friendship. How do you treat your true friends?
The scene with the yellow roses was very sweet. Wouldn't we all like to have such an impact on others?
I always love seeing pictures and video clips of the real people at the end of a movie about them.

Things I didn't like:

I'm still not used to Renee Zelwegger's new face.
One of the first times we see Denver, he flies into a rage, but we're never told why.
I've never seen people clap and give a standing ovation for a eulogy at a funeral. Have you? It seemed odd and a bit inappropriate to me.
It's pretty predictable.

Funny lines:

"You wanna be my friend?" - Denver
"Uh huh..." - Ron

"I'm gonna have to think about that." - Denver

Interesting lines:

"I've done things I'm not proud of." - Clara (Ann Mahoney)
"We all have." - Debbie

"I just don't know how much a million dollars is worth anymore." - Ron
"When you're as precious to God, you're important to Satan." - Denver
December 28, 2017
I have a genuine pity for the faith-based audience. Few audiences are as underserved as the faithful. And few audiences are as exploited as the faith based filmgoer. The people at Pure Flix have made their fortune exploiting this audience by serving them half-baked, poorly made movies that pander to their faith without serving it. Pure Flix has little interest in the quality of their work and exist solely to make a buck. Just look at the awful roster of Pure Flix movies and you will find it difficult to argue my point.

Same Kind of Different as Me is not much different than those other low quality offerings; it just had the decency to hire better actors. Renee Zellweger and Djimon Hounsou may be at the mercy of a low-quality script and production, but they are far too good at what they do to be dragged down by it. They are the reason that I can't fully dislike Same Kind of Different as Me because when asked to deliver in big moments, their talent transcends the limitations of the Pure Flix machine. https://geeks.media/movie-review-same-kind-of-different-as-me?_ga=2.53453160.1126457623.1513947710-953607229.1513947710