Same Kind of Different As Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Same Kind of Different As Me Reviews

½ November 28, 2018
This is the true story of Ron Hall who is a wealthy art dealer in Texas focused on making lots of money and living a comfortable life. He's not overly concerned about those less fortunate than himself until some trouble in his marriage to wife Debbie forces him to join her working at the local homeless shelter. In an effort to rekindle his failing relationship with Debbie, Ron reluctantly joins her serving food to those who have lost their way in this world. When both Debbie and Ron decide to befriend a homeless man, Denver, who has a very difficult personality, they each begin to change. Ron grows to understand and care deeply for the homeless like Debbie, and Debbie again warms up to her relationship with Ron, while Denver discovers there are people who truly care about him. All three struggle to understand God's hand in all of this.

Tragically, Debbie is diagnosed with a terminal disease and everyone has to again readjust their point of view, including Ron and Debbie's teenage children and Ron's alcoholic father who is eventually pushed aside by Ron for his rude behavior.

In the end, it's Denver who brings clarity to the situation delivering a powerful eulogy at Debbie's funeral and suggesting to Ron he needs to mend the relationship with his father. Ron ends up continuing the work with the homeless that Debbie started along with his best friend Denver by his side.

This is a thought provoking story that encourages the viewer to consider carefully how similar we all are, while at the same time being completely different. That may sound like a contradiction but it's not. Although we are each totally unique, we are also all traveling along the same road - rich or poor, black or white and we all must find our way through this life and into the great beyond. There's some good acting in this film by Greg Kinnear, Renee Zellweger, Jon Voight and Djimon Hounsou who plays the homeless man, Denver. Unfortunately, I was left with the notion that there's a lot more to this story than what made it onto the screen. I have not read the book on which this film was based, but I'm guessing there's a lot more detail in there about how these relationships developed and evolved. If you understand that, you're going to see an abbreviated version of some fairly complex relationships; and if you enjoy exploring how all of God's creations are joined together, this film will be well worth your time.
November 23, 2018
EXCELLENT movie that shows the complexity of trying to unite individuals with vastly different cultural and life experiences. Persistent commitment to listen to each other's experiences is a great place to start.
October 29, 2018
A heartwarming and touching faith-based drama supported by an incredible cast and a beautiful score. Despite its imperfections, Same Kind of Different As Me delivers a meaningful message about kindness and love.
½ October 28, 2018
Like a terrible after school special.
What were they thinking!!
½ October 23, 2018
While the first 40 minutes were rough, then it became a decent and moving movie.
October 22, 2018
It was refreshing to see how god can take bad things and turn them into good when we follow his word
October 14, 2018
A feel good movie that has a good message of love, and tolerance. Much needed in a time of so much hate and anger.
October 12, 2018
Great movie!!! So glad I saw it. There's no coincidence this movie is about forgiveness, redemption, love and faith. See it for yourself. Tear jerker. Bittersweet.
October 2, 2018
NetFlix movie review by Me:
Based on true story. A woman's dream for the homeless. Her love and forgiveness for her man and her obedience for the One who made her. A must see. Keep a tissue nearby if you're a movie weeper. This movie was full of hope.
September 23, 2018
The purpose of the movie was not to reconcile racial discrimination or make Christians or rich white folks feel better about themselves. It gives just enough background about Denver's life and Ron's life to so the differences, but through Denver's wisdom, he reminds us that all have the same creator and sins, moving toward eternity.
September 20, 2018
Amazing movie, I'll watch it again, it has so many important insights for our daily lives. I loved everything.
September 19, 2018
Ignore the critics - Well worth seeing!
September 18, 2018
A great movie! a great performance by Djimon Hounsou.
September 15, 2018
It's a very good movie. Don't allow the critics to persuade you . 88percent of audience in other groups liked it.
September 14, 2018
I read the book and I thought the movie was just as good. But like most movies, they cannot put everything in it that was in the book.
September 10, 2018
I can't believe I watched that until the end. The characters were predictable and the acting was mediocre. Why would Zellwegger, Hounsou, and Kinnear make this film - perplexing. Denver (Hounsou) reflects back on his childhood that takes place in the 40's - not believable since he looks like he's maybe 60. It seems like a Hallmark movie. I expect a lot more frowegger especially - none of her feistiness - just boring and one-dimensional. I would ham Zellve preferred to watch a documentary about the
actual story - got a glimpse of that at the end.
September 9, 2018
It's a wonderful touching movie.
September 7, 2018
Absolutely an amazing moviE! HeartwarmIng and sincere...
September 6, 2018
Striking performance by Djimon Hounsou as Denver. The plot deals with the very issue of human's purpose in life, and does it masterfully. Great performances by a pletora of stars, beeautifull clever dialogs. Tom me, Hounsou's performance is Oscar worthy, but of course main stream cinema and critics anre never even going to consider a movie involvin any notion of God worthy of praise. Automatically, discarded by definition or principle. Loved the movie, anyway
September 6, 2018
How could this possibly get a bad rating. What a great job. Makes you take another look on how you judge people