Same Kind of Different As Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Same Kind of Different As Me Reviews

March 23, 2019
Once again the critics show they donÔ(TM)t review movies for audiences. The discrepancy here between viewers and crtics restores your faith in the viewer and confirms that most critics just bloviate for themselves.
½ February 14, 2019
Great book - not such a great film adaptation. Zellweger is back with her new face - but doesn't do much more than be super faith/dreamer and then super sad. Good message though
February 3, 2019
Was touched by the messages in this movie. Several hard subjects handled with grace. Stays with you long after the movie is over.
January 16, 2019
I wasn´┐ 1/2(TM)t expecting much from the film but was pleasantly surprised as it so sincerely attempted to share a piece of itself with the audience.

The settings and photography were beautiful. I enjoyed the acting. I started the film on my tiny phone while folding piles of laundry but was curled up in front of the screen and sobbing, by the end. I was definitely encouraged by the hope and resilience of the story.

They addressed so much humanity, but somehow created Deborah as a saint in its effort to say we all have stories and regrets. I kept hoping to connect to what made Deborah ´┐ 1/23-dimensional´┐ 1/2┬?. Other characters also had gaping holes in their stories as well, yet I somehow continued to trust it till the end and let it leave it´┐ 1/2(TM)s previous perspective with me.

I will recommend it and tell people to keep expectations low, so they can also end up being pleasantly surprised.
½ January 9, 2019
The very horrible complexities of racism and intolerance are simplified in ways inherent to many a Hollywood and faith-based film, all in the aim of glib uplift that may salve the individual spirit but solves absolutely nothing.
January 2, 2019
Breathtaking Movie, acting was impeccable. True emotion was felt during this movie, and based upon a true story too. You can feel the character development made through 'denver'.
December 12, 2018
It was a small heart-warming family movie with not much emotion going on. It could've easily been a tearjerker but somehow couldn't. I liked the cast and the title. Great that it was a true story though.
½ November 28, 2018
This is the true story of Ron Hall who is a wealthy art dealer in Texas focused on making lots of money and living a comfortable life. He's not overly concerned about those less fortunate than himself until some trouble in his marriage to wife Debbie forces him to join her working at the local homeless shelter. In an effort to rekindle his failing relationship with Debbie, Ron reluctantly joins her serving food to those who have lost their way in this world. When both Debbie and Ron decide to befriend a homeless man, Denver, who has a very difficult personality, they each begin to change. Ron grows to understand and care deeply for the homeless like Debbie, and Debbie again warms up to her relationship with Ron, while Denver discovers there are people who truly care about him. All three struggle to understand God's hand in all of this.

Tragically, Debbie is diagnosed with a terminal disease and everyone has to again readjust their point of view, including Ron and Debbie's teenage children and Ron's alcoholic father who is eventually pushed aside by Ron for his rude behavior.

In the end, it's Denver who brings clarity to the situation delivering a powerful eulogy at Debbie's funeral and suggesting to Ron he needs to mend the relationship with his father. Ron ends up continuing the work with the homeless that Debbie started along with his best friend Denver by his side.

This is a thought provoking story that encourages the viewer to consider carefully how similar we all are, while at the same time being completely different. That may sound like a contradiction but it's not. Although we are each totally unique, we are also all traveling along the same road - rich or poor, black or white and we all must find our way through this life and into the great beyond. There's some good acting in this film by Greg Kinnear, Renee Zellweger, Jon Voight and Djimon Hounsou who plays the homeless man, Denver. Unfortunately, I was left with the notion that there's a lot more to this story than what made it onto the screen. I have not read the book on which this film was based, but I'm guessing there's a lot more detail in there about how these relationships developed and evolved. If you understand that, you're going to see an abbreviated version of some fairly complex relationships; and if you enjoy exploring how all of God's creations are joined together, this film will be well worth your time.
November 23, 2018
EXCELLENT movie that shows the complexity of trying to unite individuals with vastly different cultural and life experiences. Persistent commitment to listen to each other's experiences is a great place to start.
October 29, 2018
A heartwarming and touching faith-based drama supported by an incredible cast and a beautiful score. Despite its imperfections, Same Kind of Different As Me delivers a meaningful message about kindness and love.
½ October 28, 2018
Like a terrible after school special.
What were they thinking!!
½ October 23, 2018
While the first 40 minutes were rough, then it became a decent and moving movie.
October 22, 2018
It was refreshing to see how god can take bad things and turn them into good when we follow his word
October 14, 2018
A feel good movie that has a good message of love, and tolerance. Much needed in a time of so much hate and anger.
October 12, 2018
Great movie!!! So glad I saw it. There's no coincidence this movie is about forgiveness, redemption, love and faith. See it for yourself. Tear jerker. Bittersweet.
October 2, 2018
NetFlix movie review by Me:
Based on true story. A woman's dream for the homeless. Her love and forgiveness for her man and her obedience for the One who made her. A must see. Keep a tissue nearby if you're a movie weeper. This movie was full of hope.
September 23, 2018
The purpose of the movie was not to reconcile racial discrimination or make Christians or rich white folks feel better about themselves. It gives just enough background about Denver's life and Ron's life to so the differences, but through Denver's wisdom, he reminds us that all have the same creator and sins, moving toward eternity.
September 20, 2018
Amazing movie, I'll watch it again, it has so many important insights for our daily lives. I loved everything.
September 19, 2018
Ignore the critics - Well worth seeing!
September 18, 2018
A great movie! a great performance by Djimon Hounsou.