Same Same But Different Reviews

• Dec 08, 2014

An interesting story of a German kid who goes to Cambodia and is taken for a ride by a local hooker. Oddly, he falls in love and, at no point, applies any common sense and instead follows his heart despite some things that would drive most idiots to come to their senses. Watch it and see if it works out for him or not.

• Oct 02, 2014

this is the real thing in my country Cambodia

this is the real thing in my country Cambodia

• Jul 24, 2011

Modern type of love-story that tries to convey the complexity of today's international mix-cultured relationships with all of its ups and downs. Buck manages to create a well mixed piece, which never gets boring or slow in storytelling, only one scene was a bit odd for me, where the two main characters go for a walk on a tiny river watching a fisherman doing his work and in the background old, classic french chanson music is playing, which totally does not fit the scene and the entire setting at all. Great acting throughout, also in the supporting roles and the ending gives hope in our sometimes tough and evil everyday lifes. Worth a watch, enjoy!

• Jun 25, 2011

Nice heavy drama about a German guy and Cambodian girl. Half english/german language mostly set in Cambodia. Unfortunately the chemistry between the girl and guy was not really evident so you didn't really feel for their story as much as you should have ...

• Jun 05, 2011

I had a hard time connecting with the characters and themes. It seemed to me to be a movie that is meant for the idealistic, fairly naive, young 20's hippie backpacker crowd. It is a bit off-putting that the female lead is not Khmer. Another issue is that you need to speak English, German, and Khmer to really follow everything. The good parts are the scenery and the camerawork in bustling city shots.

• Mar 01, 2011

so Cambodians girls are same as Thais. This was just like turning the clock back 7 years

• Jan 29, 2011

It's a nice, and touching love story, underlining how the two cultures meet halfway. I think, the last quarter of the film is sketchy, but it's alright...

• Jan 15, 2011

I am getting in deap here by attempting to review a movie I could only understand about 30% of the dialogue and without subtitles. If you speak German you may find this film to be somwhat interesting. It was very heartfelt and naive at times but it followed 2 German tourists in Cambodia these young travelers.... Well watch the trailer it is rather accurate. It is a perspective and lifestyle I am unfamiliar with so it did somewhat fascinate me but given a second chance I may have passed on the film. It doesn't mean it is bad just not for me.

• Jan 03, 2011

Another "based on actual events" film. I dunno if I like it or not. Synopsis, poster look lame but the flick turns out to be quite decent, entertaining & kinda funny indeed. I couldn't tell if the film is actually trying to praise, to warn, to tease, to hunt strange things in different country/culture, or what for majority of time before it ends. On the other hand, there seems to be something to tell by comparing different relationships of Ben (David Kross)'s parents, brother & buddy with Ben's own one; but neither could I define whether Ben is really love-blind, naive, stupid or what.

• Dec 22, 2010

Speechless. That's how the movie "Same Same But Different" leaves you. And as happy as one can be after going to the cinema. Incredibly authentic, honest and feeling, and without one single touch of kitsch, Detlev Buck narrates the love story, which is based on the real story of Benjamin Prüfer and Srykeo Suolvan. Everything - from the music to the camera setting - spreads a unique magic, which had seemed to have disappeared from the theaters as a consequence to the dousands of "we'll-save-the-world"-movies - but it's back. Off course, we don't want to forget the two young leads. First off all David Kross, who has already been known as a promising actor of the next generation, since he was part of "The Reader". He plays the calm and a little humoristic role of Benjamin Prüfer, as if it was written for him only. Apinya Sakuljaroensuk, who is yet rather unknown outside of Asia, plays his big love Srykeo, and she is as well the perfect cast for the little, sweet, but also very stubborn and vivacious Cambodian girl. (Besides, her accent is enchanting). The supporting actors, all of them still rather unknown, are also important for the movie and fill out their characters comparatively well. The soundtrack, a mixture of many different and known Songs, is also very worth mentioning. Sometimes quiet and soft bass tones and just after that loud rock sounds and lamenting cries in the background - this blend makes not only Cambodia feel as seizable as possible to the audience, but also the river of emotions, to which the two young lovers are given up helplessly. It is especially that river of emotions, which flows through the movies from the beginning to the end, that puts the audience under the ban. You goe with Benjamin to Cambodia for having fun, fall in love with Srykeo, have a long-distance relationship with her. You discover, together with him, that Srykeo is HIV-positive. And at the end, you're put at a crossroad with him. "Same Same But Different" is really a small masterpiece, that especially defines the word "modern" in a new way. It's a modern, very special love story. Detlev Buck said in an interview, that he would be claimed having an inclination to kitsch, if the movie wouldn't be based on a true story. I do not approve of that at all. This movie will stay in your mind without a trace of kitsch - except for a fine, romantic vein, which slowly, but steadily, weaves it's way through the movie. So it's no movie for lovers of big action-hit-it-movies, though I do not want to exclude the whole male audience by saying this. Who likes having deep things served in a light way, is going to love this movie - but not only that person.