Sample This - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sample This Reviews

December 1, 2013
Just had nothing for me. Guess you have to really know/care about the subject to enjoy it.
September 30, 2013
I loved it so much that I watched it twice!
September 28, 2013
Not the hip hop film I expected. Better story than Sugarman!
September 21, 2013
Very entertaining look at the creation and story of the song that became known as the national anthem of hip hop, told with great craft through the eyes and ears of the legends themselves, The Incredible Bongo Band...
½ September 16, 2013
I was lucky to see it in the theater on Friday. Personally I'm not really into hip hop but this film was great, highly recommend it even if you don't like that type of music. It was intelligent and well made. Its great to recognize from one song the beats you hear in music today.
September 15, 2013
Fascinating history of hip hop :-)
September 7, 2013
I saw the premiere of this documentary film at the British Film Institute in London in June, followed by a Q&A with the director, Dan Forrer, who elicited gasps from the audience when he mentioned in passing that he spent 4 years researching and creating this film -- a level of dedication that's plainly evident throughout. I can honestly say that this is the most fascinating, surprising and compelling documentary that I have ever seen. Who would have guessed that the iconic piece of music (Apache) that represents the birth of hip-hop culture and rap, and the musicians who make it all happen, would be tied to so many key historical events from the assassination of Robert Kennedy to the Charles Manson murders? As a political analyst and pop culture junkie, this film treated me to a unique perspective on some of the history that shaped the American landscape, with the added bonus of learning about the birth and evolution of hip-hop along the way. If you're a celebrity watcher, this film has some great little gems that have never before come to light. And if you're a diehard hip-hop fan, you'll love this for the interviews and insight from some of the biggest names in the business. It's about 1.5 hours and doesn't drag at all. Great editing and the stellar soundtrack that you'd expect from a film about Apache.