Samsara - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Samsara Reviews

September 21, 2014
Memorable experience with a great potential of influencing one's perception of human and Earth. Highly recommended.
September 17, 2014
Sit back relax and let Samsara take you on it's beautiful, breathtaking, poignant and sometimes just plain creepy silent journey.
I have never seen anything like this before a masterpiece.
Harlequin68
September 14, 2014
There is a school of thought amongst film critics that so-called visual poetry should be more the most important element of a documentary, even to the detriment of any information that could be imparted. The technical term for such is watching paint dry.

Case in point is "Samsara" which admittedly does have some beautiful imagery but for most of its length it seems spectacularly random. Some things do shine through such as a freakish sequence and a musical number that should also serve as a preview for the fifth season of 'Orange is the New Black.' Otherwise, there are messages I think about progress and overconsumption. But showing an overweight family at a fast food restaurant is such a cheap shot that it is definitely not the way to go.
September 9, 2014
A beautiful movie that shows the wonderful and majestic parts of the world and also the ugliness hidden underneath our lives. All through imagery and sound, giving you the the opportunity to come up with the conclusion to what you are viewing.
½ August 25, 2014
Samsara is a visual experience that will raise questions and force you to find the answers.

It may bring you to tears, shock you, amaze you and leave you in a state of deep thought. It's message, thought carefully thought out, could be taken in different ways by different viewers. Dealing with root beliefs inherent in our present world, it shatters the illusion of immortality, identity being linked to possessions, the forcing of man to become the working man, objectification and losing ourselves in purpose/job/appearance. It also tackles the objectification of animals, to be eaten or not eaten and the monotonous, mechanical abuse this process leads to. This is only the tip of the themes in this film and explaining cannot do it justice.

I would recommend this for anyone wanting to understand the true nature of identity, anyone who enjoys a film that requires attention and though or even those who are looking for a unique movie experience.
August 18, 2014
A very spectacular film but really just about picture and movement.
August 17, 2014
Very impressive. Samsara touches you on so many levels. Deeply. It makes you feel highly uneasy and uncomfortable and leaves you with the question: "What madness am I participating in?"
July 27, 2014
"Fricke captures such moments as a Hawaiian volcano erupting to life with a stunning, you-are-there clarity. But the film winds up being a collection of striking visuals without any emotional heft." Couldn't agree more. Feels more like a "deleted scenes" reel from Baraka.
July 27, 2014
Looks awesome on a good HDTV.
July 11, 2014
[Interested: cannot find.]
July 9, 2014
Almost spiritual; to see humanity, not hear it described. Amazing, an absolute must see.
June 25, 2014
I excepted this movie to be a magnificent visual masterpiece. It was until I saw the slaughterhouse which I didn't expect in this film. Being a sensitive person this upset me, so did the scene with all the garbage of rubbish. What are we doing to our sensitive planet and the animals on it?
½ June 10, 2014
"Baraka" was better.
June 5, 2014
Wonderful. Beautiful.
½ May 14, 2014
Annak ellenére, hogy a filmben egy szó sem hangzik el, félelmetesen lebilincsel?, vagy pont azért...
April 28, 2014
Beautiful film but breathe taking cinematography!!
½ April 21, 2014
Astonishingly beautiful. This is the kind of movie that after you watch it you become a different person. But a little thing that's off. There's no dialog.
April 7, 2014
Wow wow wow! Triggered every emotion I have. Simply incredible!
April 4, 2014
Samsara is a beautiful, almost hypnotic experience that is surprisingly uplifting and conveys its message in a unique way, even if it's a bit on the nose at times.
½ April 2, 2014
Ron Fricke, Cinematographer for Godfrey Reggio on the seminal Koyaanisqatsi, directed the similar Baraka in 1992. If you've seen Reggio's films and Fricke's first, then you know what to expect here. Shot on 70mm over a 5 year period, at times the visuals on display are truly breathtaking and the transfer to Blu-Ray is excellent. A meditative, purely visual journey, that loosely forms an elliptical narrative, exploring a few Buddhist themes of the cyclical nature of life along the way.