Samurai Rebellion - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Samurai Rebellion Reviews

September 18, 2016
A great samurai drama despite the slow start.
January 20, 2016
Basically, a perfect film.
January 11, 2016
This movie changed my life. :'<
½ August 22, 2015
Timeless drama...impressive
½ August 14, 2015
A proud local family is being harassed by the regional lord, demanding them to take his ex-wife. Some times later he wants her back, but they refuse. Stunning visuals and character close-ups. To the bone heart-gripping.
½ August 13, 2015
Toshiro Mifune is the greatest samurai in the history of cinema and whoever denies it should do harakiri. This is an excellent film. Made with knowledge of rhythm, impeccable performances, balanced tables and an unforgettable story.
½ August 1, 2015
Superb film! Has there ever been an actor more consistently awesome in every role than Toshiro Mifune? -- the Japanese John Wayne. Man's men, man's film. The mother deserves a slap.
November 15, 2014
Probably Kobayashi's best from what I've seen.
August 16, 2014
The original title was "Tatsuya Nakadai is the Greatest," but Western audiences kept responding with, "Who?"
May 17, 2014
Great story, and extremely well told. Mifune is great as usual, and I just loved the build up to the finale.
January 23, 2014
While I have seen only one other of Masaki Kobayashi's films (At the time of this review), Hara-kiri, I have no doubt whatsoever in his mastery as a director. Both films are masterpieces telling of injustices during Japan's feudal era and the enormity of the class differences. Samurai Rebellion which stars the legendary Toshiro Mifune, displays both a touching and emotionally investing film that has perfect balance. For the first hour and a half we are introduced to our characters and the plight that will soon spell disaster. The last half hour is a brilliantly filmed samurai showdown where Mifune truly shines as a man of justice and morality. The cinematography of the various Japanese landscapes and wonderfully detailed traditional Japanese housing really add depth and a sense of being that is hard to replicate. What an amazing and beautiful film to see and be moved by. If you love Japanese films, culture or samurai this is an absolute necessity to watch!
½ December 17, 2013
Fight for honor against dishonored master, Another masterpiece from Kobayashi.
½ October 23, 2013
The rebellion is on a personal level rather than being a revolution as one might expect. Fascinating look at how one rebels within a tightly structured society. It occurred to me while watching the film that, while each include both elements to a degree, Japanese films focus more on honor while American films focus more on justice in their displays of heroism and their satisfaction in the outcome. While an American hero might sacrifice honor in favor of justice, the Japanese hero seems more likely to satisfy honor without gaining justice.
October 6, 2013
Between this and "Harakiri", Masaki Kobayashi must specialize in samurai movies that will make you cry. This one's about a samurai warrior whose lord asks that his mistress be married to his son. Reluctantly, they agree. But then his son and the mistress fall in love and just as they have their first child together, the mistress is ordered back to the castle. They refuse. Let's say shit hits the fan. The film takes a while to get to the samurai action but it's an emotional roller-coaster ride getting there and by the time the action hits, you'll be too busy crying to see the astounding sword play. It's masterfully directed and Toshiro Mifune has never been better! Kurosawa may get a lot of press but I think Kobayashi deserves some attention too.
August 1, 2013
Not only one of the most effecting samurai films of all time, but one of the most elegantly and pointedly filmed movies of all time.
July 28, 2013
I am usually very patient with such quality films as I know I should be, however this movie seems to drag on with the verbal back and forth for way to long, and certainly a bit beyond the point when words should have already been exchanged for swords, in my opinion. That being said this movie was a true pleasure to watch as the acting was superb, the story powerfully delivered, and the samurai way impeccably styled.
½ July 6, 2013
I found it completely uninteresting for the first hour and a half. Then it very much so redeems itself in my mind with the last bit.
axadntpron
½ January 28, 2013
Oh man, don't you dare cross Toshiro Mifune. The veteran actor has amassed quite a body count during his cinematic reign in which he ruled for an astounding 170 feature-length films, and here he adds a few more notches to his blood-soaked belt.

While it can be quite depressing to think of all the poor Japanese folks that Mifune has dispatched over his career, director Masaka Kobayashi goes to painstaking lengths to make sure the viewer knows that at least in this film, he is doing it for good reason. Not only is he giving the finger to the almighty creator by doing away with his creation with his unparalleled swordsmanship, but he is also rebelling against the daimyo of the Aisu clan of which he is a vassal, a crime of which there can be no forgiveness.

Although not as impressive visually or thematically intriguing as his 1962 masterpiece Harakiri, Kobayashi once again proves that he is a capable storyteller. All the while examining social order and the price that it imposes on the body of people that it claims to protect.

Despite the fact that the material was in the hands of Shinobu Hashimoto, the writer responsible for Harakiri, it is unfortunately lacking the urgency and vitality that made the prior film so special. Yet, not all is lost as Kobayashi delicately sheds light not on the overt violence that this society cultivated, but rather the quiet disruption of the family for the sake of the lord.

Though Kobayashi's revisionist tale isn't as gripping as his previous work, it is still a very exciting piece of cinema and further proof that Kurosawa & Ozu aren't the only Japanese directors worthy of our respect.
January 2, 2013
Slow, but ultimately satisfying samurai film of which a small village that seems content starts to disintegrate. A samurai (Toshiro Mifune) becomes enraged by his superiors and the woman associated with strange powers and starts to pursue violent action. He ultimately leads the small village into disarray and many of the villagers suffer tragic fates as a consequence. A little too much talk and little too long, but the ending is quite strong enough to save the film. Mifune is without question the highlight of this movie.