The Sandpiper - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Sandpiper Reviews

April 18, 2015
so dull (and over the top)
November 22, 2014
The introduction of the Academy Award-winning song, "The Shadow of Your Smile," makes this movie worth a peak if nothing else.
½ July 10, 2013
Another of the Duo's Masterpeice....
February 16, 2013
I liked this movie ... And honestly, it's one of the few Charles Bronson flicks I'll ever watch ...
½ October 20, 2012
The Sandpiper is a ridiculously underrated film. I have no idea why people found this to be so terrible, but I thoroughly enjoyed it for what it was. There's an interesting love triangle, conversations about religion and life, and so many other topics crammed into it. I love it.
September 30, 2012
Another huge romance film between Taylor and Burton not since Anthony and Cleopatra. Except there were way more smooching scenes in the Sandpiper. A sandpiper did fly and land on the head of Liz Taylor.
August 31, 2012
I watched this last night for the first time since 1965. It's an awful movie, but I loved every minute of it. It's trite and almost deliciously bad. It was interesting to see what passed for "something of a problem" in 1965 with regard to child behaviour (and the kid was maybe 8, not a teenager as stated below). For all the passion that existed in reality between Taylor and Burton, none of it translated to the screen. But, the scenery is magnificent and who in the world would object to watching Elizabeth Taylor for two hours. Not I. Ever.
August 19, 2012
Other than it being a typically pretentious Burton-Taylor movie, the main problem is that Elizabeth Taylor is grossly miscast and completely unbelievable as a free spirit "hippie chick".
March 28, 2012
Either it's terrible and absurd or it's visually amazing with its elaborate mise-en-scene that seems to add nothing to the film.
½ March 24, 2011
This is my ultimate Elizabeth Taylor flick. She lives in this fairytale bungalow by the sea & shes at the peak of her beauty... all tanned & gorgeous. The story is kind of simple & the script is awful, but the sound of the sea makes up for it.

And with her death yesterday, we have seen the end of Old Hollywood. It will never be the same. It will never come again.

Goodbye, Mz. Taylor, we'll miss you.
March 24, 2011
I don't know where to find this movie.
February 17, 2011
the story is a bit off, but good early performances by taylor and burton.
February 18, 2009
With all the complicated love stories out there at the moment, it was good to see something that wasn't about teens and dramas. The drama in this was understated. I love having TCM!
November 14, 2008
I just love the beach...
½ September 12, 2008
This Vincente Minnelli drama is a tense tale of temptation and seduction. I was captivated by the passionate relationship between the two leads. Inevitably, the chemistry between off-screen lovers Burton and Taylor was red hot and the latter added a particularly vivid sex appeal to what was already a very 'mature' story. The scenery of the beach is used to full effect where possible and I think it worked well to symbolise Laura's character. With a supporting cast including Charles Bronson and Eva Marie Saint, I must say I liked the complicated saga within the film and thought the plot was a realistic one, including the behaviour of the secondary characters. An enthralling movie.
August 25, 2008
Very amusing in that "Isn't it too, too shocking?" mid-60s sort of way.
August 17, 2008
Sure lets glorify cheating husbands/priests and like always blame the other women for seducing them and make us feel sorry for them at the end ..
August 6, 2008
Burton & Taylor act like they're married--and unhappy. "Adult" melodrama.
July 6, 2008
Wonderful movie with Taylor-Burton that has amazing chemistry. The movie is somewhat funny and can make me laugh at times and also has a beautiful scenery. I loved it! :)
May 7, 2008
The real-life love affair between Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton is never more clearly shown as portrayed in this film, amidst the beautiful waterfront beaches and ocean. Recommended for serious Taylor/Burton fans, who will enjoy their satisfyingly carefree trysts.