Sands of Iwo Jima - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sands of Iwo Jima Reviews

December 7, 2012
Would like to get round to watching.
September 30, 2012
Very crisp audio and decent acting, but if you're looking for a better story about the actual battle with engaging drama, watch Letters From Iwo Jima.
½ August 26, 2012
Good war movie, even if John Wayne is in it.
July 4, 2012
One of Wayne's best combat films. Most of the cast and story are fairly ordinary but it's strengths lie in Wayne and it's one of the few films were Wayne's character actually is "killed." Overall cast is decent.
February 8, 2012
It's OK movie. It contains lots of original WW2 footage from places it describes, which are well joined with rest of studio footage. The story is positive and inspiring. John Wayne isn't my favorite actor, but he isn't bad and whole movie is pleasure to see because of him and others. It is actualy funny movie too.
December 20, 2011
I really think it's a good movie that shows some of the things that soldiers went through in that battle
August 17, 2011
Probably Wayne's best war-film and one his better performances. The material is slight but the actors are engaging and the battle scenes do have a certain grimness to them.
August 1, 2011
One of Wayne`s best War films. He plays a hard man who shows no mercy to his troops, because a soft touch is likely to get you killed in combat.
½ July 29, 2011
Good war movie, even if John Wayne is in it.
July 2, 2011
John Wayne plays John Wayne very well as always, and the depictions of battle are great. What I liked most was the surprising ending, I definitely wasn't expecting that.
May 17, 2011
best god damn movie of all time!
½ February 11, 2011
pretty good, strong cast of likeable characters, John Wayne gives a good performance but overall it's a fairly standard war film.
January 14, 2011
Decent film as far as post WWII "glory" films go. It's worth staying with until the inevitible flag-raising scene. I've only seen a few John Wayne films but I'd rate this second behind the Quiet Man. He was always a bit too one-dimensional of an actor for me.
½ January 7, 2011
Hay que verla como lo que es... un antiguo documento de propaganda.
½ December 15, 2010
Much like Red River, Sands of Iwo Jima brought John Wayne up against a younger upstart in this war classic war film. The Duke plays a sergeant named Stryker who is severely disliked by his by his recruits. John Agar is the young 'soft' soldier and foil for Wayne. Sands of Iwo Jima has its exciting parts, but for the most part it's greatest generation rah-rah. Worth a look though.
½ December 8, 2010
An allright war movie, good but not great. It was probably good, before Clint Eastwood's Letters from Iwo Jima came and took the 1st place. But some memorable scenes is it, like when John Wayne's intoxicated character is invited by a women to her home to have a drink, and when his left alone while she is going to by some drink, he hear some noises from the next room, and discover that she have a baby. There many sentimental moments like this, even one of the guys is getting married. Besides all this the movie doesn't scream anti-war like Letters from Iwo Jima, but rattle accept it, and stay focus and don't ever step wrong or it will cost you. One Scene I admire is a scene where one of John Wayne's men calls after help after beging wounded and Wayne's is unable to send someone after him, because it will tells their position if they come after him. So they have no other choice than to stay com, while he is calling.
November 5, 2010
This was like the starting formula for future war movies. Good stuff.
½ September 10, 2010
SANDS OF IWO JIMA (1949)
½ August 11, 2010
Through "Sands of Iwo Jima," we learn about the rough context of war; either kill or be killed. John Wayne flawlessly portrays John Striker a killing machine with a heart of gold. It has some really great battle scenes for its time and definitely gave Spielberg inspiration for Saving Private Ryan.