Sankofa - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sankofa Reviews

½ September 12, 2013
More admirable than it is artistically satisfying, most of the credit I give to Sankofa is due to the attempt to convey a compelling story about the events leading up to an eventual plantation uprising during the times of slavery, and to a certain extent it succeeds in doing so, as it's pretty difficult to watch at times in its uncompromising violence. Though the non existent budget they had to work with shows, and the film could have used a firm editing hand as there's not enough content to justify more than two hours in length, it's not an experience that's completely tarnished.
January 27, 2013
I saw it at PAFF, good movie.
November 16, 2012
a must see for people of color
June 30, 2012
I encourage everyone to see this film. those of you who went to Lake I dont know if you remember going on a trip to see this movie.
½ May 1, 2011
Pretty edgy stuff. Though the tone of the film seems to change throughout, the themes of the film are mostly very dark: Racism, rape, death, slavery, abuse, etc.

The final shots are mesmerizing and really moving.
½ September 12, 2010
It transcended cinema for me ...
April 25, 2009
This was a life changing movie for me. A game changer.
April 2, 2009
The worst movie I have seen in quite some time. Very poorly acted, so much so, I found myself laughing at many points during the film (anyone who has seen this know is it is anything but funny). The music, or should I say, noises in the background, are annoying beyond all comprehension. But they suited the overall agonizing feel of the movie quite well. I watched this in class, and could not wait for it to end. Sure, it grappled with some serious and compelling themes, but never addressed them satisfactorily. I strongly advise you not to watch this, on the extremely slim chance you find yourself in the position to.
*/***** 1/10
February 15, 2009
This was an excellent movie
July 25, 2008
If you haven't seen this film. Just see it. Then see it again.
May 15, 2008
when the film was launched in South Africa... haile gave some revolutionary talks around tertairy institutions... and it was mind blowing holding the massive reel for projection with him and lionel ngakane just chatting. mad experience that helped me quit hollywoodization through film school
½ April 13, 2008
Really deep and emotional with a clear yet poetic message...I had to watch it for class and I've been looking for it ever since.
½ February 25, 2008
"To know your future you must first know your past" - Sankofa bird
January 10, 2008
A movie everyone should see...nough said.
December 14, 2007
NO WORDS!!! Watch this movie.

p
½ November 19, 2007
the last 15 or so minutes of this movie are indescribably cathartic...and just wonderful
½ November 16, 2007
I have watched this film 10 times and I still flinch when the whip comes down. Halie Gerima is wonderful man and a true revolutionary. A lil off on the editing but the message is clear.
October 25, 2007
One the most important films that one can see. By the end, one will find themselves thinking about ways to get over on the predator(s).
September 30, 2007
Another one that'll teach you what you never learned in your history classes!!!
September 24, 2007
A very powerful movie. It opened my eyes to a whole new way of seeing the past of my ancestors. Seeing that we have been blinded for years with views as those from roots. A must see film.