Sansho the Bailiff (Sanshô dayû) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sansho the Bailiff (Sanshô dayû) Reviews

November 20, 2017
I really like how the story goes back forth going from present to past and tying it all together with good writing. I've always respected and admired Japanese culture and in this movie, it's easy to see why. There beliefs and their principles are something that the Western World as well as the whole world can learn from. "Be merciful to others, even if your hard on yourself, all men are created equal, and know that everyone is entitled to happiness. That in itself is a beautiful message the world could use now more than ever.

The tale in this movie is a very sad one and one that no one should ever have to go through. I can't even begin to imagine all the pain and suffering that comes with being a trade slave. It's something no one should ever have to endure. To see how the children changed after a couple years kind of broke my heart. Seeing Taro and what he later becomes was a pleasant surprise and something I wasn't expecting. It put a smile on my face.

Beautiful towering mountains and rolling hills paint the landscape in this movie.

Overall, beautiful movie that's both sad and depressing but gives hope to humanity. Wonderful film!
November 10, 2017
Este clásico del cine japonés del director Kenji Mizoguchi (pintor y diseñador de kimonos) y basado en la novela de Ogai Mori, es un relato lleno de sufrimiento (como lo anuncia la introducción), acerca de una madre y sus dos hijos, los cuales son separados a la fuerza para ser vendidos como esclavos al despiadado intendente Sansho en el Japón del siglo XI.

"El Intendente Sansho" es un trabajo de una gran delicadeza visual, cortesía del fotógrafo Kazuo Miyagawa, maestro de los planos con travelling ("Rashomon") y con una historia fluida y que cala en los huesos, cortesía del mismo Mizoguchi. Toda una obra maestra.
½ August 25, 2017
It is a beautiful, uplifting and sad story that will teach or reinforce life lessons essential for any human being.
August 22, 2017
A deep yearning captured perfectly by Mizoguchi. Becomes a lesson on life that is both historically, culturally informative, but also useful and compatible today.
June 3, 2017
Immortal classic of Japanese cinema. Dark Ages weren't only in Europe, Japanese people suffered then too. And slavery is not about only black people either like modern mainstream media tries to convince us. This powerful movie depicts a dark period of Japanese history when slavery flourished on their lands. It's very emotional and looks very authentic and the song sang by the mother is heart-wrenching. A must see.
½ May 24, 2017
This beautifully-shot, black-and-white film will surely captivate you from the beginning till the end with its story, and likable characters.
January 1, 2017
Landmark film is a cornerstone of world cinema. Master Mizoguchi's penultimate film made just 2 years before his death is about the lives of slaves in feudal Japan, has such pathos it creates an emotional intensity virtually unequaled in the history of film. Film shows how evil and depraved mankind in the pursuit of money and power. Sansho the Bailiff is the name of the evil, torturer slave owner with over 100 slaves under his control. He is so evil his own son who will supposedly inherit everything secretly despises him, and yet Mizoguchi's mastery and style of filmmaking is such that Sansho is strangely likeable. It's in the way Mizoguchi made his films. He shows you immense beauty, in the trees, in the waters, in the hills, in the mountains, in the trails, in the sky, in the animals while simultaneously showing us immense brutality. It's a misnomer, like a serene nightmare. Many legendary scenes are here, many of which are sure to haunt you for the rest of your life if you see this film just once. The film centers on a noble family of a former governor. A governor who was benevolent, kind and merciful with the peasants, but some evil person decides he is not being loyal to the warlord in doing so. So, his power is taken away, the peasants riot on his behalf but many are brutally killed as a result. His wife is sold into prostitution , and his young children are sold into slavery under Sansho's heel in 11th century Japan. The most haunting scene is when Kyoko Kagawa, the daughter, now having endured slavery for about 15 years, now a healthy and beautiful young woman commits suicide by walking into the lake to drown herself after helping her brother escape Sansho. She does it because she knows she will be tortured by Sansho into telling where her brother is hiding. It's in the loving way Mizoguchi films her suicide that is truly haunting. Another legendary scene is when her brother (now the new governor) comes back to search for his sister and to liberate all of Sansho's slaves begging forgiveness of an old man (slave for more than 50 years) that he himself tortured under Sansho's orders. The most legendary scene might be the ending in which he finds his mother, feeble and blind, due to all the torture she endured because of her many escape attempts, and her initial refusal to recognize her own son.
October 1, 2016
Um filme perfeito em todos os níveis. Uma família é desmembrada ao longo do tempo por questões políticas e sociais até que os filhos se tornem escravos na era medieval japonesa. O diretor conduz a narrativa de forma simples e natural permitindo seus atores brilharem, mas sem que eles exagerem (algo que às vezes acontece nos filmes de Akira Kurosawa, mas tal exagero não é um demérito para aquele diretor). Apesar de característico da época a fotografia preto e branco dá mais peso ao filme, assim algumas cenas acabam ainda mais dramáticas mesmo com algum tom de previsibilidade. O final é belíssimo e de uma ternura que considero incontestável. Dá pra ver de graça no youtube.
March 6, 2016
cinema's most profound film about the human condition.
world cinema's best drama.
February 13, 2015
an absolutely amazing and absorbing film. I loved every minute of this movie.
January 3, 2015
A masterpiece from Japanese legend Kenji Mizoguchi features a great story and is a real technical achievement. This is the first Mizoguchi film I've seen, and I can now seen why he is held in the same regard as Ozu and Kurosawa as the big 3 of Japanese cinema. This is a MUST watch!
December 26, 2014
Simply one of the best films ever made.
September 22, 2014
A beautifully-acted portrayal of human suffering and redemption that transcends place, era, and status.
July 31, 2014
A moving masterpiece of narrative and theme. Mizoguchi's calm, poetic filmmaking caries the weight of time itself, links between fathers and sons, kindness and cruelty, ruin and redemption landing with stirring heft.
July 16, 2014
I'm always weary of giving a 5 star review on only a single viewing, but this is one that I just can't see any other way of scoring. I loved it, and it's an example of the sort of films I'd love to one day be apart of. Complex and sophisticated themes wrapped in a fairly simple story. It was a beautiful and heartbreaking experience that I know I won't ever forget.
April 16, 2014
Kenji mizoguchi's masterpiece. mizoguchi's emotional,political centered drama film is without doubt a pure example of the human condition sub-genre in film,corruption and drama. The performances are outstanding,touching and realistic (mizoguchi's usually used non-professional actors for his films). Miizoguchi's Sansho its a beautiful film.
½ March 29, 2014
Shockingly well composed film. Like watching a Wes Anderson film, every frame is a gift. A sad, grueling story, compelling and well constructed, well acted and delivered.
March 26, 2014
A cinematic masterpiece of poetry and tragedy; one of Mizoguchi's best films.
March 4, 2014
Handsomely told, richly layered and truly heart-rending, Sansho Dayu is one of Mizoguchi's most dramatically satisfying films with incredibly poignant performances and beautifully staged scenes.