Sansho the Bailiff (Sanshô dayû) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sansho the Bailiff (Sanshô dayû) Reviews

October 1, 2016
Um filme perfeito em todos os níveis. Uma família é desmembrada ao longo do tempo por questões políticas e sociais até que os filhos se tornem escravos na era medieval japonesa. O diretor conduz a narrativa de forma simples e natural permitindo seus atores brilharem, mas sem que eles exagerem (algo que às vezes acontece nos filmes de Akira Kurosawa, mas tal exagero não é um demérito para aquele diretor). Apesar de característico da época a fotografia preto e branco dá mais peso ao filme, assim algumas cenas acabam ainda mais dramáticas mesmo com algum tom de previsibilidade. O final é belíssimo e de uma ternura que considero incontestável. Dá pra ver de graça no youtube.
March 6, 2016
cinema's most profound film about the human condition.
world cinema's best drama.
February 13, 2015
an absolutely amazing and absorbing film. I loved every minute of this movie.
January 3, 2015
A masterpiece from Japanese legend Kenji Mizoguchi features a great story and is a real technical achievement. This is the first Mizoguchi film I've seen, and I can now seen why he is held in the same regard as Ozu and Kurosawa as the big 3 of Japanese cinema. This is a MUST watch!
December 26, 2014
Simply one of the best films ever made.
September 22, 2014
A beautifully-acted portrayal of human suffering and redemption that transcends place, era, and status.
July 31, 2014
A moving masterpiece of narrative and theme. Mizoguchi's calm, poetic filmmaking caries the weight of time itself, links between fathers and sons, kindness and cruelty, ruin and redemption landing with stirring heft.
July 16, 2014
I'm always weary of giving a 5 star review on only a single viewing, but this is one that I just can't see any other way of scoring. I loved it, and it's an example of the sort of films I'd love to one day be apart of. Complex and sophisticated themes wrapped in a fairly simple story. It was a beautiful and heartbreaking experience that I know I won't ever forget.
April 16, 2014
Kenji mizoguchi's masterpiece. mizoguchi's emotional,political centered drama film is without doubt a pure example of the human condition sub-genre in film,corruption and drama. The performances are outstanding,touching and realistic (mizoguchi's usually used non-professional actors for his films). Miizoguchi's Sansho its a beautiful film.
½ March 29, 2014
Shockingly well composed film. Like watching a Wes Anderson film, every frame is a gift. A sad, grueling story, compelling and well constructed, well acted and delivered.
March 26, 2014
A cinematic masterpiece of poetry and tragedy; one of Mizoguchi's best films.
March 4, 2014
Handsomely told, richly layered and truly heart-rending, Sansho Dayu is one of Mizoguchi's most dramatically satisfying films with incredibly poignant performances and beautifully staged scenes.
March 1, 2014
Sansho the Bailiff is a brutally heart wrenching film about a family torn apart and sold into slavery despite their wealth and family name. The film explores themes of redemption and acceptance as well as kindness and staying true to oneself and morality. Beautifully filmed with amazing landscape shots and plenty of long shots, Sansho the Bailiff is stunning to watch and filled with emotion. It's more a drama and doesn't contain traditonal samurai battles but rather keeps the story and characters the sole focus, and this gives it humanity and helps connect the viewer. Highly Recommended for Japanese film lovers or Classic film fans that want an emotional but utterly hopeful drama.
November 26, 2013
Sansho The Bailiff is a flawless masterpiece of drama. I have seen many superb dramas, but this one is unmistakably one of the all-time greats of the genre I've seen. It's a drama made with such care and precision, and all the effort that was put into it clearly shows. In fact, everything about is so precise, even the little details the viewer generally doesn't notice seem to be alive and carefully crafted. It's a drama rife with emotion and power within in every frame and all of it matters. The story is exceptional, the acting is superb, and the drama never feels forced and contrived. It's a film about morals, loss, love, and redemption and it knows how to weave all these themes together within its intricately crafted storyline. While it's restrained and meticulous, it is a powerful and emotional drama when it wants to be and I was held in my seat the entire time as it unfolded so carefully. It's not only a masterpiece of Japanese cinema, not only a masterpiece of drama, but it is also a monumental achievement in film-making and storytelling as a whole. It's a drama that will never leave you once it's finished, and that's the best kind of drama.
August 19, 2013
Sansho the Bailiff is Kenji Mizoguchi's masterpiece. Superbly acted, scored, and shot, the film features what is likely one of the most powerful and devastating endings in the cinema.
½ June 28, 2013
Mizoguchi's period pieces aren't full of samurai action or adventure, but struggle and humanism at the most basic level. Sansho Dayu is the greatest of these, captivating the viewer with the most bittersweet of triumphs.
May 21, 2013
Devastatingly gorgeous.
May 18, 2013
Definitely one of the best movies ever made - I would rate it six or seven stars if I could. It was really touching, sad, heart breaking, and it was inspiring. It's fortunate that such abuse does not happen these days, but more remains to be done. Still, clearly a masterpiece.
May 6, 2013
One of the greatest accomplishments in the history of film, concerning a family torn apart after the father, a governor, is exiled due to sticking to his morals, and how the rest of his family is sold into slavery and prostitution after attempting to find him. A damning display of slavery and a heroic tale of perseverance, there isn't an inch of pretentiousness to 'Sansho', more so a delicate simplicity that makes its points very well and never loses focus on its overarching message of honesty and integrity are two of the most important traits we as humans should possess. Almost unbearable to watch at times just because of how disturbing the conditions these slaves have to work under are, but there is always a ray of light at the end of the tunnel that takes form in the second half of the film with splendid, moving results. A dynamite, important film.