Santa Buddies - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Santa Buddies Reviews

February 13, 2017
I'm giving this movie four stars because I feel bad for it that it's gotten so many negative reviews. Yes I get it, it's cheesy and there are talking dogs. BUT. . . Here is what is Good about this movie: 1. Christopher Lloyd. I've always been a fan, and he's great in this. Always reliable as a fun character actor. 2. George Wendt as Santa Claus still gives off a George-on-a-barstool kind of vibe, like he just over the whole Santa thing. I like that. 3. I like the part near the end where the dogs fly Santa's sleigh to all the different countries. You hear the same Christmas song sung in French, Japanese, Spanish, etc. You also get a glimpse of how Christmas is celebrated in the different countries, with, for example, the shoes instead of stockings in France. I liked the attempt at multi-culturalism. 4. It's short. Less than 90 minutes. As a parent, if you want your kids to watch a Christmas movie, but you don't want them staying up *way* late, this is a good one to choose.
So really, it's not THAT bad.
½ August 23, 2016
This movie has bad characters, bad plot, so bad acting, and it is so stupidly boring!
July 29, 2016
Meh, Some parts were funny others weren't
May 10, 2016
This film disappoints even from a direct-to-DVD standpoint. The movie seems content to coast on its marketability (fluffy puppies) and though this attribute will likely appease a preschool demographic, anybody above that age is going to grow bored rather quickly.

Let's start off with the plot. If you've ever watched a Christmas movie in your life, "Christmas Magic" probably was the main plot. This rendition of Christmas Magic does not add anything to its borrowed plot except for the fact that there are talking dogs, talking dogs who don't really add anything new to the plot. The character "Cruge" (played by Christopher Lloyd) is another borrowed story element from an extremely well-known Christmas story. The story fails entirely to draw me in emotionally.

Next up: characters. Though young kids might find talking fluffy puppies funny, anybody older will soon grow tired of the cardboard cutout personalities the Buddies possess, each an irritatingly and extremely embellished stereotype of something, such as the fashionista Rosebud or the "punk" B-Dawg.

Next up, the animation. I get that this is a budget movie and also a direct-to-DVD film, but the CGI is not likely to appease even the lightest young critic.

Script is my last complaint. Santa Buddies magically finds a way to combine clichéd lines and unrealistic dialogue evenly. Half of it is the elves and Santa Claus and company spewing out in an unemotional fashion rehashed lines about "Believing in Christmas", while the other half of it is filled with the annoying Buddy-talk.

Lastly, doesn't Santa Claus look, AND talk, like he's OD'ed on something?

All in all, a movie that has enough fluffy action to make your toddlers happy, but don't worry about missing anything meaningful if you doze off.
December 31, 2015
It's still basically Christmas so I need to watch every film - no matter how bad! Unfortunately this was bad, and by bad, I mean atrocious! Annoyingly cheesy, boring, way too American. Not as good as the other buddies films! Or Santa Paws 1! 2 stars is generous.
November 29, 2015
No money. No Mutt.

A group of dog puppies receive a strange visitor from the North Pole, Santa Paws. He claims to be the puppy of Santa Clause, but the puppies do not initially believe him. When the magic of Christmas starts fading, Santa Paws and his new friends will need to come to the rescue.

"The magic of Christmas is fading away before my eyes."

Robert Vince, director of Spymate, Air Buddies, The Search for Santa Paws, Santa Paws 2, Treasure Buddies, and Snow Buddies, delivers Santa Buddies. The storyline for this picture is a bit of a reach and felt as you'd expect from the genre. The acting is Disney channel level and nothing to write home about.

"Where does he find these dogs, the loony bin?"

I recently found this on Netflix and thought I'd watch it with my daughter since she loves these Disney dog picture. She watched it pretty much from beginning to end. There wasn't much new here brought to the genre but may be worth watching once with your child during the holiday season.

"I wish Christmas would just disappear."

Grade: C-
October 30, 2015
One of my guilty pleasures
December 26, 2014
Very cute movie. Not my style movie but it definetely would be one for children to watch. Spirit of Christmas comes back. The puppies are so adorably cute!
December 12, 2014
This had a surprisingly sweet story embedded in it. Remove the cheesy main story and you have a sweet story about a bitter abandoned man being reunited with his heart.
½ November 29, 2014
Terrible dog Christmas movie.
½ August 2, 2014
Again with the cute little dogs starring a cheesy, annoying movie.
March 26, 2014
I'm not sure if Santa Buddies is more insulting to dogs, children, Christmas, or intelligence, so I've decided it's offensive to all four in equal measure. The puppies act like annoying, spoiled two-year-olds, which are in themselves caricatures of children; the effects are atrocious and so is the acting; the story is incredibly cliche. The only reason this film gets a star at all is because, despite my anger over the personalities of the dogs, I must admit they were rather cute when they had no lines. Overall, though, this film should be avoided at all costs. If you want to see Christmas-related dogs act cute, just type that in on YouTube. Surely that would provide far more entertainment and satisfaction than watching this would.
January 11, 2014
enjoyable Christmas story with this cast of dogs and charming story for the kids and family to enjoy
January 10, 2014
Cute dogs, good moral for the kids, otherwise average.
½ December 23, 2013
Oh my Gosh! This is one of the most horrible movies I have ever seen.
December 17, 2013
Not nearly as good as Santa Paws but good.
December 1, 2013
Absolutely HORRIBLE grammar! I would NOT allow my children to watch this garbage movie full of butchered English.
June 21, 2013
This is less of a buddies movie and more of an introduction to Santa Paws and his son, Puppy Paws. Guess Disney started a new franchise based on this. The buddies are here and are all in character; they are kind of woven into the Christmas stuff, but it still rolls pretty well and is entertaining.
June 3, 2013
This is a joke! An insulting one aswell!
½ February 3, 2013
so fucking horrible. somebody gave this to my son. now I think the act might have been child abuse.