Santa Claus Conquers the Martians - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians Reviews

April 14, 2017
it was awful!!!!! I knew it would be bad but never expected it to be THIS bad. The effects are inexcusable, especially during a time with James Bond and the wizard of oz!!!! The martians don't even look like martians,then there's the polar bear which is so half-assed it's just hilarious. The robot is Also terrible. Plus at several parts you can literally hear the set crew laughing, like after someone says something about the smokestack of the queen elizabeth. It wasn't even funny!!!! Most of the time I forget this is even supposed to be a christmas movie!!!it has absolutely NOTHING to do with christmas except that it has santa claus in it. The only reason this isn't a lower rating is because it's so bad it is hilarious.
If I just review based on the content I say 2/10
if I take into consideration how hilariously awful it is then 6/10
December 3, 2016
A pretty damn terrible christmas film, but also one of the BEST WORST films i've ever seen! Recommend the MST3K and Rifftrax versions the most!!
August 26, 2016
If this film wanted to engage kids at a level a braindead salamander could comprehend, it failed. But for us adults, it is the best so-bad-it's-good Xmas movie out there. Pia Zadora is in this one as a child actress - her Midas touch of suckiness would apparently carry over into the '80s when she was the star of "Voyage of the Rock Aliens."
June 25, 2016
Watched this with my dad at Riftrax Live, OMG that was SO funny. XD
½ May 3, 2016
Hailed as one of the worst films ever, it really was.
April 24, 2016
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians (1964) ??
One of the all-time greats. Martians kidnap Santa Claus because there is nobody on Mars to give their children presents. Got that? Now forget it. Grade Z junk.
April 5, 2016
I still very much appreciate its spirit, both in terms of no-budget
filmmaking and sense of fun. I wish that the films of today could have
even a fraction of its good-natured mischievous approach. Certainly film studios could learn a thing or two, in this ridiculous era of quarter-of-a-billion-dollar blockbusters. I for one don't need the equivalent of 'having my eyes masturbated', as one cinema critic so lovingly stated.

I would prefer watching this in a second over any of the ham-fisted,
cash-soaked holiday atrocities made in the past three decades (I
believe 'A Christmas Story', and perhaps 'Elf' and 'National Lampoon's
Christmas Vacation' to be the last decently-made Yuletide films).

But don't take MY word for it...see it for yourself (without the stupid
and condescending MST3K commentary) and make your OWN conclusion.
April 5, 2016
I still very much appreciate its spirit, both in terms of no-budget
filmmaking and sense of fun. I wish that the films of today could have

I would prefer watching this in a second over any of the ham-fisted,
cash-soaked holiday atrocities made in the past three decades (I
believe 'A Christmas Story', and perhaps 'Elf' and 'National Lampoon's
Christmas Vacation' to be the last decently-made Yuletide films).

But don't take MY word for it...see it for yourself (without the stupid
and condescending MST3K commentary) and make your OWN conclusion.
December 25, 2015
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians is geared entirely towards children, and was designed to be a harmless bit of Holiday fun that the whole family can enjoy. In fact, the only thing preventing it from becoming a Christmas classic is itâ??s an absolutely terrible movie, with an awful storyline and horrible make-up and costumes (the Martians wear green tights and have some sort of metallic paint smeared all over their faces). Even the stock footage, some of which was on-loan from the U.S. military, makes no sense (following a report that an alien ship is in orbit around earth, there are clips of pilots leaping into state-of-the-art airplanes and taking off. What exactly was a plane going to do to a ship still in outer space? Well, thatâ??s never really explained). Perhaps the only kind thing I can say about Santa Claus Conquers the Martians is that John Call makes for a convincing Saint Nick, playing him as a jolly old man who takes everything in stride. As for the filmâ??s other characters, theyâ??re either: a. One-dimensional, b. poorly portrayed, or c. All of the above.
December 14, 2015
One of the best bad movies, complete with the perfect bad movie title.
½ January 14, 2015
So bad, it's amazing!
Great opening song. Voldar deserves a kick in the face.
Cool sets, though, not gonna lie. I love how Santa cultivates a New York accent toward the end.
December 31, 2014
A cult Christmas classic, "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" concerns Martians and their selfish, perturbed children who have no fun and hope that Santa's goodwill will come to their planet. The Martians come to Earth, kidnap some kids, then Santa, and take them back to their planet. Some of the Martians dislike the idea of letting Santa on their planet, and plot to kill him and the children, but are thwarted time and again. The film isn't inherently bad: it has a logical plot, the performances aren't all that bad, and it's message of letting kids have fun is inspiring. The reason it's so ridiculous is the premise itself. That and the costuming is horrible, like, ridiculously bad. The Martians are all in green-face, the elves are all dwarves, and the Martian children look and sound like practiced wind-up dolls. While this isn't the best bad movie it's rather entertaining and fun for the entire family, even with its constant plot device of children killing alien life forms.
½ December 23, 2014
"Hooray for Santy Claus!" Extraordinarily awful and hysterically funny, Santa Claus Conquers the Martians is insanity wrapped in a bow. The plot is beyond idiotic; finding that their children have forgotten how to play and have fun, a group of Martians go to Earth to abduct Santa Claus in the hopes that he'll be able to revive their children's spirits. The acting is atrocious, but not as bad as the makeup and costumes, which are horrendous (even for '60s sci-fi). Yet it's all made infinitely worse by how seriously the film takes itself. Though it's terrible in every way possibly, Santa Claus Conquers the Martians is too ridiculous to hate and is just begging to be laughed at (which is actually kind of fun).
December 22, 2014
WARNING: spoilers and nitpicking
Well not even the first minute and already My Christmas has turned yellow. The following is a list of problems/nitpicks of this movie.
1. The opening song is obnoxious.
2. Kid TV? Really?
3. Apparently you can now withstand 90 degrees below zero temperatures. Just ask Andy genderson at the North Pole
4. A news reported is taking to Santa who shows the reported a toy made by and elf, and then proclaiming that the toy the elf made was his idea of a Martian, and then talks about if their is life on mars
5. Martians look ridiculous.
6. Apparently Martians forget how to sleep.
December 8, 2014
Ridiculous Holiday/Science Fiction/Fantasy B-movie about Martians who decide they want Christmas too and steal Santa from Earth. The movie is just terrible, but it can be quite fun if you want a laugh.
December 4, 2014
A hilariously bad Christmas Film that defies any logic or reason. Martians are concerned their children aren't having fun so they decide to kidnap Santa Claus.

The plot & performances are delightfully awful & it's one of those fun bad films. The sets are ridiculous & you found yourself giggling regularly.

This film is just simply entertainment & you need to appreciate for what it is. The actor playing Santa is a little strange though keep him away from the kids.
December 2, 2014
I watch the MST3K version every Black Friday, but this movie is good enough to watch by itself. Sure, the sets are cheap, there's coloration issues, obvious stock footage of military stuff, and it's generally considered a bad movie, but it has its charm. The characters are memorable in a good way (not something you can say about other movies), and it's fun to watch every year, MST3K or not.
½ August 17, 2014
It can be enjoyable for a cheesy low-budget movie, but it's hard to get over how terrible 'Santa Claus Conquers the Martians' is.
January 1, 2014
Really cheesy, really funny and a young Pia Zadora.
December 23, 2013
The WORST XMAS movie ever but I like it.