Santa Claus: The Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Santa Claus: The Movie Reviews

½ May 29, 2014
I know not the best it is over top cheesy etc. All those things you except in 1980's film. However is throughly enjoyable. You feel everything from sappiness when the elf leaves. Santa desperation at changing world . Mrs. Claus kind gentleness. Lithgow (it doesn't matter his character name he is always Lithgow to those around my age younger people may not get it) slimyness. It is much more heart warming and genuine then Tim Allen fair. I believed this Santa as Santa Claus I didn't get that from other later film nearing same name from previous mentioned star. I enjoy this film sappiness amd all and chances are most of you will to.
December 26, 2013
This films starts off with some promise, but then degenerates into a morality tale about the over commercialization of Christmas. I suppose Dudley Moore did a good job with his role. It's a pity that little of the work he did in Hollywood, was ever well received.
December 25, 2013
I give it full stars for the happiness I got from this movie as a kid. This is the perfect children's movie for any child at all. I adore it and so should anyone, even adults. It tells of how Santa became who he is, lost hope & found it again. My fave Xmas movie.
December 24, 2013
loved this movie growing up seeing it on bluray for the first time.looked great but kinda wish I was in to it like I use to be. just a blah ending
December 24, 2013
Impossible to have grown up not loving this movie.
½ December 23, 2013
In a certain time, in a certain land. Once there lived and once there was. A magic kingdom at the top of the world. If a traveler came to that cold freezing place, and no traveler ever did, all they would see would be ice. Mountains of ice and snow. But on certain nights when the stars of the sky shined like jewels. A wonderful light appeared in the heavens and then many lights all the colors of the rainbow and some colors never seen before. Way on top, the North Star sparkled. And suddenly the ice mountains cracked open and beautiful beautiful lights pierced the sky and then out came the vendigums, hundreds of them all in their bright colored clothes.
December 17, 2013
An evil elf disappointed with the lousy toys in Santa's workshop goes to work for an evil toy tycoon. Odd movie children might seem either dull or hard to follow for lack of real good guys. Dudley Moore as the elf seems to be well cast, though.
December 13, 2013
It feels like there were two scripts combined into one here. It definitely could have used a re-write. However, there is a certain charm to this movie. It is entertaining enough.
December 12, 2013
A great movie that has been unfairly criticised over the years, a wonderful magical film for all the family to enjoy.
December 9, 2013
That ONE star is solely and completely devoted to John Lithgow's performance.... absolutely brilliant.
December 8, 2013
The mediocre snoozefest is only elevated by John Lithgows spectacular hammy performance (yesterday's marathon entry)
½ December 8, 2013
I'm not sure why there are so many haters for this movie.

Absolute Christmas classic.
December 1, 2013
I love this movie!!!
May 4, 2013
Okay, to me this felt like two movies. The first half is very good. It sets up how a Mr. Claus became Santa, from how he started as just some old timer delivering wooden figurines to Children one night a year, to every thing we know about him now. How the Top Elf came along and how the first year everyone got a gift, but how Mrs. Claus suggested a Naughty or Nice list...to be read twice. How they got the reindeer to fly and how he visits every child in one night. All that was great and Huddleston sounds and acts like every story always suggests Santa would be like. He's terrific.

But the film loses some of that magic when the Top Elf is demoted and moves to a city to help a shady toy creator make some new toys. Lithgow hams it up like crazy.

It's around this part where we begin to see this sub plot about a homeless boy Santa befriends. He tells Santa he has no family, no home, no money and no food...and Santa basically leaves him behind only to return a year later to bring him a wooden figurine??? This just angered me. You set up the whole first half that Santa is this great man who loves all kids and making them happy, but he doesn't do anything to help the boy to NOT be a bum?

Add in some really awful effects, the flying letters looked animated even!

It's decent but nothing I'd ever watch again. And the message to kids that we don't need to help the homeless is just an awful part of this movie.
April 8, 2013
one of the best Christmas movies of all times
½ January 18, 2013
If you haven't seen this movie you should.
December 29, 2012
Looks nice, but doesn't make a lot of sense.
December 29, 2012
i alwaysy love this christmas film dont no y but it amazin
½ December 23, 2012
The Salkinds assemble their "Superman" production team to tell a splashy version of another beloved American character, Santa Claus. David Huddleston is fine as the jolly man in the big red coat, but David Newman's script isn't strong enough to deliver the goods. We don't have much sympathy for ambitious elf Patch (Dudley Moore), because he's simply not very good at making toys (not to mention the fact the he's excited about mechanizing Santa's production line). Patch isn't a great judge of human nature once he leaves the workshop, either - his new boss B.Z. (John Lithgow) is on the verge of bankruptcy for making hazardous toys. There's several storylines chugging along here, but none of them generate much interest.
December 19, 2012
From Jeannot Szwarc, the not-so-talented director who brought you such mediocre movies as Bug, Supergirl, and Jaws 2 comes this forgettable holiday film.
Dudley Moore and John Lithgow obviously needed cash when they starred in this film, which for both actors was a low point in their respective careers.
My advice? Don't waste your time.