Sasori - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sasori Reviews

December 23, 2015
The Chinese remake is boring for the most part. Great shower fight, but mostly a snooze cruise. Not even the iconic hat?
½ January 6, 2014
Silly action scenes with moments in the film when I wonder, "why?"
September 18, 2012
**I was expecting more prison scenes not just sword fighting, kung fu camera all over the place thing... not good for me...
½ December 20, 2011
An updated version of the 70's Female Convict Scorpion film, a real Japanese cult favourite, Sasori finds Nami (Miki Mizuno - seen recently in Guilty Of Romance) imprisoned after being made to kill her fiance's sister. Having been brutalised by her fellow inmates, Nami fights back, escapes, trains as a killing machine and then seeks vengeance! There's nothing wrong with the pinky violence formula - and yes it is very violent in places - but the film's big misstep is in employing wire-work for some of the fight scenes, where it really needs to feel gritty and realistic. This fantasy element to the fight scenes lessens the film's impact greatly which is a real shame.
skactopus
February 16, 2010
Joe Ma's Sasori is a rough remake of the "Sasori" film series from the 70s starring Meiko Kaji. How does this film turn out? Good, but not great.The story revolves around revenge and Joe Ma takes the time to add some Kill Bill flavor to it. The camerawork is excellent; however, when mixed with the mellow soundtrack, the film becomes really dramatized with characters that aren't as interesting as they should be. This isn't to say that this is a boring film, as the 95 minutes don't take an eternity to pass.There is a good amount of intense violence, but the climax for most of these scenes take place off screen or is cut away from, leaving those few seconds to the imagination. The action in the first half is all brawls in a female prison, while the wire fu marital arts unleashes in the second. It's unfortunate that there isn't more of it because the choreography is quite good.Miki Mizuno's lead performance is acceptable and so is the rest of the supporting cast. Simon Yam's brief role is one to look out for.Sasori isn't original and it isn't overly impressive. Still, there is enough to make this worth watching.
December 19, 2009
December 17, 2009
A poor remake and reinvention of the Japanese 70's exploitation movie Female Prisoner 701 Scorpion. It doesn't even come close to matching the greatness of it and the lead actress Miko Mizuno is no Meiko Kaji that's for sure. The plot is a little bit different as half way through the movie the lead character Nami is out of prison and plotting her revenge after being taught how to fight by a kung fu master. The acting I have to say was weak. If you've seen the original movie then I wouldn't bother with this one. It'll only disappoint you.
½ December 5, 2009
a young women is forced to kill to save life of her love,andgoes to prison,where brutality is everywhere, a twist of fate brings her back to outside world,and vengence is on the cards, some stylish moments, swordplay and kick ass action, makes this watchable, thestory is a little week, but theres enough moments that asian cinema knows how to handle to make it watchable
½ October 20, 2009
Crap movie by a crap director and cast!!!
September 8, 2009
½ September 4, 2009
Female Van Damme meets The Crow. Easy viewing for guys if you have enough beer around.
August 29, 2009
Very refreshing to see a woman in an action lead role.
The plot was obvious but never the less entertaining flick.
August 28, 2009
A bit of a punt but I'd still like to see it.
½ August 3, 2009
A Japan, Hong Kong co-production filmed in 2007 (& looks like cheap Hong Kong action genre in 1980s) but releasing in Japan till recently. Same as [Shamo], another comic-adaptation produced by the same bunch of companies in 2007, problems like rough, silly, broken-context, messy narrative & editing, annoying dubbing are still there. Quite awful, indeed.
July 21, 2008
Well, it was funny. I like Fantasia Festival for these kind of movies. haha
½ July 19, 2008
good entertainment that's all if you expect a copy of the original you will be dissapointed